WeMos D1 Mini Pro

I tend to use Antennae as the plural for Antenna and for the two pionty feely things on the front of insects. That’s the way I was taught at school, admittedly that was a long time ago but I’m not aware that it changed, not for us English guys anyway. :wink:

I think the plural is aerials :smile:

Pete.

1 Like

Well, I suspect the batteries being low was effecting them. :thinking:

Now use one chart and all three on same scale but different colours for better visual comparison :wink:

And here is a recent video showing how fun/frustrating the science with antennas/feelers/aerials/pokey things on bugs can be :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Turns out an aerial is tuned/named for “receive only”… Thus I never heard/used that term as any “pokey things on roof” :smiley: I have used/installed, including the dish style, were for full transceiver use.

Left them running over night. Some odd stuff happening to my WiFi, interference?.. :thinking:

The variations look dramatic, but in the middle chart they only go from 68.5 to 69.0 so the fluctuations are very minor. Could be caused by someone going to the toilet, or pets moving around in the house I guess?

Pete.

1 Like

That’s why it would be better to have all the datasets on a single graph.

2 Likes

Done … :wink:

1 Like

Appears to show that all 3 systems are very similar but with the internal antenna being a lit more volatile.

Might be worth running the 3 with mains power and see if the signal still degrades over time.

1 Like

I should be home early again tomorrow so I’ll use three Apple phone chargers to power them, same time, 7am to 1pm.

1 Like

Due to the rain(loading car with pumps) I was late leaving for work this morning so 8am I swapped from battery power to mains power.

Just popped back home to put the pumps away, decided to have a quick look what was going on. Something strange is happening to my WiFi over night … :hushed:

I’ve no idea what happened between 9pm and 8am, but from 8am when I left for work the external antenna had fallen over. I stood it upright again when I returned home at 11am. What ever happened through the night effected both external antennae …

7am until 1pm, same as before. I’ve no idea whats happening so over to you guys …

Interference from each other perhaps ?

That straight line jump in the orange line (internal antenna) is too good to be true. I’m guessing that your chart for that is set to fill-in missing data points, so has simply drawn a straight line between the two points - meaning that it had no data during that whole period.

You don’t have any weird power saving or timed power reduction or Wi-Fi switch-off stuff set up in your router do you?
It looks to me like the main router is turning it’s Wi-Fi off for a while and the devices with external antennas are managing to connect to an access point that’s giving a much weaker signal strength, but the one with the internal antenna isn’t managing to get a signal.

Pete,

1 Like

Interference will affect SNR or signal quality, but shouldn’t change the RSSI. Quite strange, never seen that changes in my devices as long as nothing affects the signal path.

1 Like

My Broadband provider is BT, they have a huge FON network here in the UK, 5 million+. Due to my old security system being wireless I didn’t subscribe to the service because of the potential for interference. However, I recently changed our security system from wireless to cable so I subscribed to BT’s FON last week and I think it was activated Monday.

Could the extra two access points my router is now transmitting cause this? People accessing the FON during the night?

The cutoff and reconnection is too quick… perhaps a door or something being closed and opened?

PS when an antenna changes orientation, AKA falls over, it can drastically affect signal due polarisation differences.

1 Like

I live in a bungalow, the router is about 45° up about 20 feet away from the Wemos D1’s through a 5 inch thick brick wall and a double thickness plasterboard ceiling, no doors, definitely nothing that moves.

The external antenna did fall over when I left for work(8am-11am) but through night(9pm-3am) it was vertical. Plus it didn’t effect the other two when it fell over the first time ?

Quite unlikely… As I said- that would affect SNR. RSSI is just a signal strength. More likely something disturbing signal path or antenna orientation, as @Gunner pointed.

Keep running the chart… need more time related data to determine if there is just one time occurrences or random, regular repetition, recognisable patterns, etc.

1 Like