Table tennis robot - NodeMcu - 7 motors

Furobot is a table tennis robot controlled by an app (iphone/android) with the server in the cloud powered by Blynk.

Main components:

• NodeMCU ESP8266 CH340G V3
  • Micro Servo Motor SG90
  • 4x Servo Motor MG995
  • 2x DC Motors 12V 1.8A 15000 RPM
  • L298N Dual H Bridge DC Motor Driver
  • LM2596 Buck Step-down Power Converter

7 motors functionality:

• DC Motors:
    Top spin wheel
    Back spin wheel
  • Servo Motors:
    horizontal movement
    vertical movement (left)
    vertical movement (right)
    balls pushing (container)
    ball pushing (pipe)

Main features:

• oscillation
  • top spin
  • back spin
  • services
  • random drills
  • sequence of predefined drills
  • variable spin, speed and ball frequency
  • preferred placements (middle, backhand, forehand, wide backhand, wideforehand)
  • OTA updates (new drills and calibration settings)
  • voice control with Amazon Echo

Planned features:

• Balls recycling: the balls container is full with about 60 balls; for a regular exercice that means a duration of 1 minute :sweat_smile:. It would be nice to have a reciclyng system to bring back the balls into the top container.
  • Review of the design: support of side spin (3 wheels).
  • New model built with 3D printed components: possibility to create a clone within minutes assembling few parts.

The demo videos

Furobot is also enabled to receive voice commands with Amazon Echo. e.g. Alexa! turn oscillation ON/OFF

Initially the robot was controlled by an Arduino board with a IR remote control. Thanks to Blynk the porting to NodeMcu and wifi app has been straightforward exercice

Screenshots

Tested with IOS and Android

Other highlights

"old" Arduino version
with Blynk also the LCD display is useless

In the case you get the idea to build something similar, be aware of the side effects :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

23 Likes

Now that is cool.

2 Likes

Wow, really nice project! Congratulations

2 Likes

Great project!

2 Likes

This is on par with the auto brewer project! :slight_smile: Great work!!

2 Likes

Wow!!.. great build, very good video… love the ending :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Now you need a Blynk controlled collector bot to clean up the “side effects” :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you! According to youtube most of the users are not watching the video to the end…too bad for them :ping_pong::sweat_smile:
For the side effects meanwhile I bought a net; as next step I’m planning to build a reciclyng system to bring back the balls into the top container.

1 Like

Great idea very nice project , good luck with recycling the balls a conveyor belt will be helpful i think

1 Like

What about a robot arm to play against you? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! My idea until now was to build something with a vertical pipe and push the balls from the bottom to the top with a servo motor. Should not be required much power for that… The issues is to find the way to bring consistently the balls in front of the servo at the entrance of the pipe. I didnt try yet, but I would say… it is urgent! :slight_smile:

well…someone else had the same idea, and they did it :1st_place_medal: e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k6Sx3tPUc4 …anyway I think the arm has still issues with the spinny balls :thinking:

crazyyyyy :smiley:

1 Like

That is GREAT!

2 Likes

Now, furobot is also enabled to receive voice commands with Amazon Echo.

e.g. Alexa! Turn oscillation on
Alexa! Turn furobot off

How to do it is very well explained in this post:

I’m back with an update about the planned features

Planned features:

1. Balls recycling: the balls container is full with about 60 balls; for a regular exercice that means a duration of 1 minute :sweat_smile:. It would be nice to have a reciclyng system to bring back the balls into the top container.

The balls recycler has been designed, printed and tested indoor. At the moment there is snow in my garden :snowflake: , the final test on the field will be possible in April. At this point in time the post could be renamed as “Table tennis robot - 2 NodeMcu - 8 motors” :sunglasses::snowflake:

1. New model built with 3D printed components: possibility to create a clone within minutes assembling few parts._

The clone is in preparation, printing the parts and waiting the delivery of the missing electronic components.
Instead of clone I would better call it Furobot partner, because the idea is to have 2 robots working in sync to shoot balls from different spots. Thanks to blynk, each robot should shoot a ball about every second, without overlapping with the other one… that is challenging… If that works I have “2 Table tennis robots in sync - 4 NodeMcu - 16 motors”; otherwise just a spare robot :smiley:

1 Like

Ready to print…

So… did you intend it to look like a dog? :stuck_out_tongue: I had to look thrice because my first thoughts where… how can that robot dog walk without movable legs :thinking:… then I checked the topic title and zoomed into the picture :rofl:

EDIT, I guess it looked like this all along, just appeared to me like a sort of dog (with a funny tail) without the feeder bin and stuff attached… sorry :stuck_out_tongue: no insult of your design intended.

2 Likes

No problem :slight_smile: , I like my design, expecially if at the end it will work as expected :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The 3D printed version has been completed, ready to start double hard training! :sweat_smile:

Next goal is to make them to communicate to each other :ping_pong:

4 Likes

Can you post the electronics of this one. I mean the pattern of wiring and the codes you used to program the robot