New version of Blynk Platform. Sign up for Beta

You talk like this is a feature and/or something that we should be happy about… but it is a facepunch

Why?

Pete.

Because of no bug fixes… no feature upgrades… is it that hard to understand?

maybe you can get the source code and continue to update ? :smirk::smirk::smirk:

1 Like

There are some alternatives offering local server (for example ‘supla’ - for home automation specifically focused on Polish market) but I found NONE being so flexible and expandable as even CURRENT Blynk is. A multitude of devices supported, a working bridge to feature-endless node-red makes Blynk unbeatable, as for now, at least for me…

2 Likes

I agree - for example, Virtuino is waiting

Again,

1. Local server is in our plans;
  2. Even more - we plan to make cloud-localserver integration; So you can use cloud, but in case of failover you can switch to the local server and still have access over everything;
  3. We don’t have any estimates, because our focus right now - is money-generating features and requests from business customers. This is not what we want. But truth is - free local server doesn’t generate any money, obviously, in order to invest further into it.
4 Likes

Virtuino could be a good alternative, if only it wouldn’t be so… Ugly… Aesthetic failure. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, but perhaps those are only my feelings.

1 Like

Well, if you’re happy with the current product and using it for existing projects that are working well, then not having bug fixes or feature upgrades is no big issue.
If you look at the alternatives (especially those that are free and allow you to have a local server) then you’ll see that they probably have at least 2-3 years of development to do before they reach the functionality the current Blynk product.

Freezing the current product in time is therefore no big deal for many people and I certainly wouldn’t call it a “facepunch”.

Pete.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, could you not look at monetising local servers? Possibly through an in app purchase or subscription like Plex?

1 Like

There seem to be a missunderstanding. i wasn’t calling the situation itself a facepunch… i was talking about your kind of posting.

Sorry, you’ve totally lost me here!

Have fun with whatever version of Blynk you end-up using, or whatever alternative you choose to use instead.

Pete.

4 Likes

I can remember back in the day complaining and declaring that I would be dumping Blynk when they started talking about paying for energy to create a project!
The truth is they let you keep all the projects you’d already created for free and consequently I’ve never had to buy any energy!!
My point is all of the Blynk team care about all of their users and you will just have to trust them that they will provide as much as they can for free and if not free it will probably be sensibly priced and affordable for all.

5 Likes

Probably, that’s what we will do at the end (for the new Blynk). Initially, local servers were introduced because I insisted on. I believe that some systems must have autonomy and should not depend on the cloud. And I still think so. However, local server hard to charge (you can easily copy it, so that’s why it is free), also this exposes internal project structure that brings additional vector for attacks (for bad guys, of course) on the system.

3 Likes

openHab is an opensource alternative offering local server too and web dashboard.
app runs under IOS,Android and windows 10 (microsoft store), bye bye Nox android emulator !!
for now, I don’t really want to change anything.
I’m sure Blynk will be the best as usual.
Wait and see … but how many time ? :thinking:

2 Likes

I will look at openhab but don’t plan to changeover. Waiting is more pleasant, when not thinking about it :grin:. Just use Blynk, integrate, develop and be happy. We will see what will bring the future. After all only 31 years left…
Until “the next end of the world…”

3 Likes

where is @PeteKnight :scream:

Alexis.

2 Likes

I survived one Tsunami (Thailand 2004), but in 31 years I’ll be 89 years old, so probably won’t care too much!

Pete.

5 Likes

Since no one has yet asked this, I ask this :slight_smile:

Since there will be a new “blynk platform” with a new “server” and a new “app”.
Since updates and fixes on the “old blynk platform” will no longer be released.

What will happen when google / apple will update the android / ios systems and there will be problems with the “old app”? :frowning:

Is it possible to hope for a release of the source code of the app, (which at the moment is the only non-public part of the “old blynk platform”), so that the community can continue its development?

Thank you

6 Likes

good question, the answer is no update ! :smile:
maybe somebody could get the source code … :thinking:

2 Likes