New version of Blynk Platform. Sign up for Beta

J+4 and nothing in sight ?

I want to call to Anna :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes please! Everything in my home is in local network and not connected to the cloud, i designed my house so that internet loss doesnā€™t effect my lights and fans.

It would be great if there was local server option available, obviously at a one time price instead of subscription model.

2 Likes

One day, we will come up with a nice solution for your ā€œlocal logic, internet lossā€ case as well :wink:
We have some good ideas, but not too much hands to implement it, ATM.

4 Likes

Sure, provided it was a reasonably priced one time license fee for non-commercial use. Upgrades could be charged as well. Support besides the forum is unnecessary, especially for a low price.

The operative issue here is ā€œwhat do I cost you?ā€ Been in the software business a long time. There is no unit cost to the software and no support cost so all you should be thinking is what opportunity you lose by giving me a license?

3 Likes

Seems to me the key to this kind of thing is keeping the iOS and Android apps separate for non-commercial local servers and commercial ones. The app will show something like ā€œBlynkā€¦not licensed for commercial useā€ or something to that effect. A user who is licensing to 3rd parties using such an app would be pretty exposed. Like the old FBI warning on a DVD or video tape.

1 Like

Seems like a great idea! Also a pop up every login in future web dashboard saying something like that would be great too

Totally understand.

I too would be eager to purchase a license for a local server.

Moving to the cloud (from a local server) is simply not an option for me either.

1 Like

From a development operations standpoint, we all have seen numerous ā€œproblemsā€ on the forum that turned out to have resulted from incorrect coding or poor design. I would bet that very few of these questions come from developers who maintain and install their own private servers. What they would get is some good Q/A and problem solving from a relatively capable base of developers building non-commercial applications. Having us on their current source tree would be a benefit in the long run and relatively low cost licensing fees would be money ā€œfound.ā€

Blynk on a local server vs the cloud is a totally different experience. Data is never lost and remote connectivity is unnecessary.

3 Likes

We hope you guys come up with some revolutionary idea for that, but for now nothing beats the peace of mind that is achieved with a local server knowing my internet can die and i can still turn on and off my devices.

P.S. the moment you guys release local server for new blynk be it free or paid, i will be rushing to buy it :yum: never found anything as good as blynk, and my house relies fully on blynk, from alexa to google home works with blynk api :see_no_evil:

Agree totally. There is a lot of action in the IOT world. Everything they have fits perfectly but we do need to allow them to financially capitalize on what they haveā€¦or it will never move forward or even die. That is what they are doing and I applaud it. Confidence in a nice running local server is quite high, I agree. In fact, maybe they should restrict our applications to local servers only. That way it will not infringe on their real market opportunity which is 3rd party apps and systems. Besides, with local servers we do not load their bandwidth or use their storageā€¦really zero cost!

2 Likes

This feature will help small businesses to start commercial activity using blynk.
Which will also generate revenue to Blynk. There are lots of makers and small start-up worldwide who can together be a great revenue source for blynk, if they are charged as per usage initially.

And as there market grows they can shift to larger plans.

2 Likes

waiting
tenor-1

8 Likes

These is my case, I prepare the project for small company and iā€™ll buy a plan business

2 Likes

I would most definitely be, especially if it would bring currently missing features such as being able to share projects but with the ā€œend userā€ having ability to access multiple shared projects without logging out each time. Itā€™s been the biggest pain point for me with how things are now. Creating private apps would be ideal but given the fact how restricted iOS is as a platform, I can understand how it would be difficult to provide without a subscription based model. Access through a single Blynk app would be fine for me.

Pricing model I could suggest would be one where you pay a one time sum, allowing updates for a year or until the next a major release. Something similar as how JetBrains licenses their development tools.

It would also be on my wish list for the paid local server to have some kind of web based editing as creating complex controls to manage lights for example can get quite tedious on a mobile.

Like for ScottB, cloud is not an option for me. Iā€™ve spent a lot of time either carefully selecting, customizing or building my own automation solutions to be as reliable as possible and to have a near instant response time. Having a 50-200ms round trip delay when for example fine tuning the lighting would not work out. My use also includes controlling devices which might not always be Internet connected.

All of this is for non-profit use (home / summer cottage monitoring and/or automation).

I hope you will be able to work something out. Itā€™s been somewhat uncomfortable being a freeloader with a constant fear of losing bug fixes or compatibility between the app and the server. Which of course was bound to happen one day, like it did.

As I currently use Blynk only as a frontend to Node-RED like many local server users here, Iā€™m now looking into other options which could give something close to Blynk. As Iā€™d need cross platform mobile compatibility, Iā€™m considering web based UIā€™s such as what Home Assistant provides. Hopefully you will come up with something better before I have time to dig into it and make the move!

2 Likes

ok , thereā€™s a new version of blynk platform.
but where is it ?
:skull::skull::skull:

Just waiting :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Give it a try to look at this point from an outside perspective. A massive base that is responsible for the growth of blynk will be driven out by the decision to not give a local-server option right from the start.

be prepared of a massive drop-outā€¦

p.s. this announcement at all will be responsible for people looking out for an alternative to blynkā€¦ right now.

1 Like

December 25 :santa::santa::santa::santa::santa:

2 Likes

Local server is most important for me.
So, any alternatives?

2 Likes

Youā€™ll still be able to use the current app and local server in future, you just wonā€™t get any updates or bug fixes.
What you have now is way better than any of the competition, so itā€™ll be a long time before thereā€™s any real competition.

Pete.

3 Likes