šŸš€ New Blynk release!

Thanks. We will work on that next week.

I think that title still belongs to @Gunner :gun:

You are right, I wanted to say ā€œone of the bestā€. Together with @Gunner :pray:

1 Like

Thanks for the great effort
Please explain how to deal with the new platform by making several explainer videos because the new platform is different from the old one

1 Like

@Dmitriy

Iā€™ve started to have a look around V2. Some interesting stuff and I can see how I might convert from old to new if only to make sure I keep up with new stuff.

A few observations you may be able to advise me on:

1. Lack of time input widget. Iā€™ve highlighted that in Automation Blynk 2.0
  2. The device selector is missing? Or is there another way around it?
  3. Some widgets that used to have the value displayed on the widget no longer do so. e.g. the slider. Or have I missed itā€™.
  4. In the documentation it says devices can be grouped together within the blynk.app (I think) so one widget updates all devices. I canā€™t see how to do that.
  5. In old blynk outside of tiles you could create a page that allowed a widget to be attached any of the devices defined within that project. This doesnā€™t seem possible to do now. The tile type method (as in old tiles) restricts you to just one device.

Thatā€™s all for now

1 Like

Great observations! So happy people start digging into the new platform!

1. Replied
  2. The ā€œhomeā€ screen is now a device list made of tiles. So there is no need in device selector anymore
  3. Yes, we plan to remove labels to provide more flexibility in UI. Example: you add a slider and place a more visible value on top it. Both widgets utilize the same Vpin. Same applies to a slider name - its just a text label in any size and position. As we add more text widgets in the nearest time, this will become very useful.
  4. Groups are already built and will be rolled out a bit later. Some final touches needed on our end
  5. Thatā€™s correct. Next big update will introduce Dashboards section in the app. This is similar to old Projects - a way to create a dashboard with aggregated data and controls. Together with sharing it will become an extremely powerful feature.

@Pavel & @Dmitriy

The ā€œhomeā€ screen is now a device list made of tiles. So there is no need in device selector anymore

Yes but this is so much less convenient. With device selector I just choose from a dropdown from the tagged devices and Iā€™m there. With tiles they could be all over the place? Or am I missing something. Itā€™s not a like for like.

Yes, we plan to remove labels to provide more flexibility in UI. Example: you add a slider and place a more visible value on top it. Both widgets utilize the same Vpin. Same applies to a slider name - its just a text label in any size and position. As we add more text widgets in the nearest time, this will become very useful.

I guessed as much. This would be good and flexible although I guess slightly more time consuming when designing the UI. No pain no gain I suppose. Currently widgets canā€™t be placed on top of each other. This would need to happen with a front/back function I guess. Also the ā€œlabelā€ widget which uses the same pin would need to be made as small as possible if required not to waste screen space and to sit nicely on the main widget such as the sliders/gauges etc. Currently the loss of the value display on these main widgets makes it a no go for me. I canā€™t see the value unless I do use a value display widget which is large and not visually connected to the main widget.

Groups are already built and will be rolled out a bit later. Some final touches needed on our end

OK. Good reason why I could not find it. Back to the device selector issue above. I think this is really missing for me. Could perhaps the group function be extended to allow a pan update (as you envisage) or a selective update like device selector. My use case is that I have all my devices attached to the device sector. The devices all do different things buy in my code for each device I have a standard set of Vpins that report back standard results. Like the wifi name my device is on (I have loads around the property), wifi strength, device reset button, terminal widget reporting debug info & tracking status, I can also select from a scanned list of SSIDā€™s and reselect the attached WiFi on the fly. This is very easy with device selector. Not as suggested with tiles. I quite like tiles as another entry point to devices but they can be clunky and itā€™s not everyoneā€™s idea of a modern fast and intuitive navigation strategy.

Thatā€™s correct. Next big update will introduce Dashboards section in the app. This is similar to old Projects - a way to create a dashboard with aggregated data and controls. Together with sharing it will become an extremely powerful feature.

Good to know. My current single project has a combination of tabs (with widgets using VPins from many devices ) and tiles with just the one device.

I did a bit of a double-take when I originally read this, but then concluded that it probably meant ā€œaboveā€ rather than ā€œon top ofā€.
It would be good to know though.

I think maximum flexibility would be achieved by having the option to show/hide the value as in the previous version.

One thing that bugged me about the original version was the coarse granularity of the app layout grid, and the inability to resize widgets down to a small size (Iā€™m thinking LEDs, Buttons and Value widgets in particular). The new app has better granularity, but youā€™re still stuck with widgets that canā€™t be resized small enough, or in the correct proportions (a value widget that can be long and thin for example) to allow the layout to be used in a flexible way.

I know that Blynkā€™s vision is for a ā€œcleanerā€ look, but at the end of the day we still need to see the same data on one form or another.
I also think that increased usability of the app could be created by adding horizontal and vertical dividers that can allow users to corral widgets together according to functionality or data types.

Pete.

@PeteKnight. Agree with the vertical/horizonal bar idea and maybe a box. This would add enormously to the readability and visual design. Iā€™ve sort of done that by getting the value widget and filling the name with n_________Name of Section__________. Then I can use the value for some sort of dynamic info for the section.

Like so.

2 Likes

Device selector is definitely gone as it duplicates the tiles. We might consider having an option of list view, but the concept ā€œclick to openā€ will stay.

ā€œOn topā€ means above. We canā€™t make overlapping widgets as they will become an uncontrollable mess.

Not sure why sliders donā€™t work with value. Also, many complained about the small value not seen.

@PeteKnight you need to revisit the app :slight_smile: LEDs are so small you can barely drag them with the finger. Horizontal level and vertical l one are 1 cell.

Some of the min sizes will be adjusted further

Separator Widget is planned together with more text widgets

2 Likes

Nobody knows how to get a black theme on the new blynk android app? :thinking:

Black theme is in development

2 Likes

When is the expected launch of this feature @Pavel ? It will be the most useful features

Thanks Pete, but your stats are soon to be exceeding mine, and you are ā€˜less likelyā€™ to "shoot the ā€˜gimme, gimme,ā€™ noobs first, answer questions later"

The King is Deā€¦ errrā€¦ still kicking, but moved on and only stopped in for teaā€¦ Long live the King!

4 Likes

Welcome back Gunner :grin:

3 Likes

I am not sure if this has been reported?
The horizontal Slider and Step Slider cannot be sized on the Blynk 2.0 app
I use an Android phone.

Same here :v:

What about the Rtc feature I used in my previous projects so that I record the time on the tirmenal when executing each command is this possible in blynk 2.0

I requested that too but got silence as answer.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s an accurate statementā€¦

Pete.

:grinning: It was answered an hour ago but itā€™s good to know!!
Thanks Pete.

RTC API is there, but the widget is not necessary anymore. @vshymanskyy could you please link to the documentation.

2 Likes