"New" Blynk No Good for Hobbyists?

Making sweeping statements?

“Blynk development has always been driven primarily by business users, and that’s still the case.”

You said it yourself. Funny how someone can contradict themselves in the same post. So clearly, NOT a hobby-friendly company. And according to you always driven by business users.

Again, I don’t care anyway. I made the application that I needed and several more in Python a few years back.

My advice to hobbyists is to do the same. I’d stay away from Blynk. They benefitted from the free feedback, debugging and passion of the hobby community to get their business going.

1 Like

Yes, development is primarily driven by business users - that’s an economic fact of life.
Developments requested by multiple ‘hobby’ users have been implemented by Blynk in the past, hence the use of the word ‘primarily’.
But, Blynk has made hobby use accessible and still does. The free accounts are 100% free and not simply taster trials designed to draw people in. Also, you only have to look at the resources that Blynk put into this forum, and the examples that they’ve created - which are clearly aimed at hobbyists - to see their level of commitment.

Do you also criticise car manufacturers when you ask them for a particular feature and they choose not to provide it? Are those manufacturers not driver friendly companies because they didn’t implement the furry cup holder that you demanded?

Okay, would you like me to deactivate your account on this forum then?

Pete.

3 Likes

Maybe kodular forum is better for him :thinking:

1 Like

virtuino

1 Like

I tried it when blynk 2.0 appeared, but I definitely prefer blynk :shushing_face:

1 Like

that’s called freedom of choice :slight_smile:

Good luck :rofl:

So, given the reality of the business situation, I guess I’ll just have to agree to disagree with the Blynk Fanboy and explore the Kodular / Firebase route. Who knows, I could come back?

You’d better use blynk legacy with local server :thinking:

In another 6 months to 1 year, the android versions will be updated and the Blynk app will no longer be supported. And we will have to keep a spare vintage phone just to operate Blynk.

This is not a practical thing.

Once you get into this method you will see its very easy.

Former WhiteLabel currently Pro owner here.

I have developed a product with WhiteLabel and i didnt know how deep the rabbit hole is going. I have been using Blynk for years but WhiteLabel is something different completely. After seeing that, I realized that how BIG it is and respect so much for FREE plan. To be honest, if I make this I would never make it free not even for myself LOL.

Image the coding, developing, making the system on computer and do it for free. Rent and pay for servers and make it free for years and “hobbyists” use it to open a lamp and check the temperature of his room. Yeah right…

Its getting bigger and bigger and bigger and some people working hard to make it perfect. That should not be free.

If you dont want to pay for it, you can rent a server, configure it as how you want and do it yourself the rest. Thats the whole point of “hobby” right? If you dont want to spent all these time and want to use it rapidly respect the work by paying it.

PS: Only problem with Blynk, they change the system (ie GUi of Map) without asking you even if you have a WhiteLabel.

Im sorry to disagree with you but thats the reality.

5 Likes

I hope Blynk team ignores this :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I guess you didn’t actually read my posts in this thread. I said multiple times herein that I’m willing to pay. In fact, I did pay for what I used under the “Energy” model. I was simply requesting that Blynk again provide this model for non-commercial users. Several folks replied with informative posts indicating that was not practical for various technical and economic reasons. I accept that. But, to say that I was asking for free Blynk is grossly incorrect.

For SaaS companies there are 2 main approaches: 1) Freemium; 2) Free trial. All Blynk team is a fan of Freemium model, so we didn’t even bother with a choice. So I think freemium will stay forever.

Yes. That’s very true. Even all the team want focus on makers things. However, we have a good news here - we’ll focus on the Platform next year instead of business features. We’ll see how it goes.

4 Likes

Dear Dmitriy,

Thanks for the freemium user allowance.
Thanks to the forum support team which helps a lot for all who want help.

Hilarious!

Point out the clear anti-hobby behavior & the hypocrisy of the people involved and then what is the response? “Do you want to deactivate your account?”

I want to thank “PeterKnight” once again for proving my points to effortlessly.

Go ahead and delete my account. Then maybe I would stop living rent-free in your head.

I actually asked…

Accounts can’t de deleted if the user has made more than 15 posts or some of the user’s posts are more than 60 days old, so the account has been deactivated instead.

Pete.

1 Like

@PeteKnight don’t work for Blynk, so shut up!
He is a volunteer , and help us every day.

5 Likes

Bravo Sir.