"New" Blynk No Good for Hobbyists?

I too enjoyed the 1.0 arrangement, but I’ve taken a 3 year hiatus from all thing IoT and now that I’m trying to come back to it all, everything’s changed and costs more, lol. I don’t mind the $7 monthly subscription fee, as long as Blynk continues to enable me from having to learn how to get my MCUs on the internet, it’s worth it, though I too have some gripes about the documentation as well, but I’ll fight my way through as long as I can get my devices back online again. FWIW, I am not a coder and have only learned the bare minimum needed to put together an Arduino project, now on ESP8266 boards.

Perhaps Pavel might consider a free or lower cost app that bombs the free user with ads like most other free versions of apps have? I’ll still pay the $7, but I was once the type that would not and force myself to make due with whatever’s given in the free versions of things, so I understand that mentality as well.

No no no… please not this… ads ads ads everywhere. They are omni present. Blynk app is the only place without ads… we should not try to ruin it. Let Blynk charge us with money… but no ads please !! They are so annoying: especially those banner n popup type.

1 Like

I completely agree, no ads please :pray:

2 Likes

The use of adverts has been discussed before, and if you search the forum you’ll probably find those discussions.
It’s not a practical idea for a number of reasons, and the concept has been rejected by Blynk in the past.

Pete.

4 Likes

I’m paying the $7, so the ads wouldn’t effect me any, but I just shared the idea as a possible means for Blynk to generate revenue from the free app while nudging the user to the subscription. The concept seems to work for a lot of other app services.

I will gladly pay the same amount of money for the Legacy. Keep it and make payment plans for it and for non commercial use.

Kind regards

1 Like

@Gsoulas i don’t work for Blynk, and am not part of their policy making process, but I do have experience of developing and supporting software products and systems.
It’s not viable for a company like Blynk to maintain two parallel development/support streams for products that are significantly different and which are rapidly diverging.

Blynk’s only sensible development route is to focus all of its resources into its new product, and incentivise users to migrate to the new product.

My advice would be to migrate your projects to the new platform, before the legacy platform is decommissioned.

Pete.

2 Likes

I deeply support this comment.
Could you reconsider including the “energys” purchase in the free plan?
Thank you.

1 Like

Move on to other platforms. This is not a hobby-friendly company. It hasn’t been for years.

In 2016 I asked for XY scatter plot. Every once in a while I remember this company still exists and check to see if it has XY scatter plot. It still doesn’t! lol

Move on. Plenty of other options out there for hobbyists.

@Hugoneus, could you please suggest another platform with similar features?
Thanks!

There is no better than Blynk 2.0 !

Scatter plots are offered by Microsoft Excel. The data may be readily exported from Blynk to Excel and used to create a scatter plot.

That has already been established to be untrue for the reasons given above.

Ok , so get out there and look for a better platform, and let us know when you find it :joy:

I did a lot of research when Blynk released the beta version of IoT, as it looked like Node-Red would no longer be supported.
I really didn’t find anything that came close to Blynk.

The thing with requests like this are that cost of doing this type of development can easily outweigh any return. And I’m not just talking about financial return either.

If there was a big interest in this functionality from hobby users then I’m sure Blynk would have considered implementing the functionality, but it needs more than just the odd request to justify this type of investment.

Blynk development has always been driven primarily by business users, and that’s still the case. If a business user wanted a scatter chart and were willing to sign-up to a significant contract then it would be a different matter.
When Blynk add “nice to have” functionality that is requested by hobby users then it’s generally done because multiple people have requested it, and it’s seen as being a feature which will improve the product and make it appealing to significantly more users in future - some of which may be business users.

Clearly scatter charts didn’t fit into that category, but in my opinion that in itself isn’t really sufficient grounds to make sweeping statements like…

Pete.

4 Likes

Instead of trying to find something like Blynk, take a different approach. Learn how to block code with something like kodular or App Inventor, coming from C++ I found it relatively easy. As for graphics…sky is your limit as you are now in control of the artwork. To communicate with an esp you use Google firebase as your server which bridges the communication between your app and your esp

1 Like

He can also write his own app with Android studio :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have just gone over to Android Studio and really loving it!

1 Like

Do you by any chance have a link to a simple example project that uses this technique?

https://diyusthad.com/2021/01/home-automation-with-firebase-android-app-esp8266-01.html