"New" Blynk No Good for Hobbyists?

Kindly asking, why do you have to migrate specifically BEFORE the legacy platform is decommissioned? Will I not be able to migrate my devices/projects to the new platform AFTER the decommissioning of the legacy platform (on 31 Dec 2022)?
Thank you very much in advance.

I guess it depends if you want continuity of service.
Blynk Legacy via the cloud servers will cease in 3 days so if you haven’t set-up an alternative Blynk IoT account by then and moved your devices over to that then your devices will stop working.

If you are a planning to go to Legacy local server via the clone project route then you need to do that before the Legacy cloud servers are decommissioned otherwise the url embedded in the clone QR code won’t be resolvable.

Pete.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your fast and helpful reply.
I guess continuity of service is a convenience thing is what you mean. Personally, I am using Blynk as a hobbyist, so I can afford to lose my projects for a bit after the shutdown until I migrate them over.

I am not actually aware of this “Legacy local server via the clone project route” - would you be able to please provide a quick run down of that or a link to some information about it?

Thank you kindly in advance.

It’s been discussed several times recently, a quick search will throw-up some answers.

Pete.

1 Like

Perfect, thank you very much for your help.

Yeah, I am back!

I’ve been searching the forums, except all I could find was fragmented information…
Does this method require creating your own local server?
Sorry for the hassle, but do you have a specific forum thread I could go to regarding this specific method?
Thank you.

Yes.

Pete.

1 Like

Thank you very much again @PeteKnight.

I’ve had a look at this link.

They link to this part of the Legacy documentation:

And the documentation says that that Blynk sever is no longer supported. And at another point in the documentation says “Local Blynk Server is no longer supported.”.
So I am guessing this whole method is not viable anymore?
Thank you.

This is my opinion on the subject…

Pete.

1 Like

Ok, thanks Pete. Your post has helped me figure that the whole local server method is probably too complicated for me. I think it is just easier to migrate my one hobbyist project to the new platform. This doesn’t require too much changes to my existing esp8266 Arduino sketch, right?

Thanks again Pete for your quick and detailed responses.

It depends on your sketch, but this topic probably isn’t the place to go into detail.

Pete…

1 Like

Thank you again.

Don’t forget to take a screenshot of your screen app , it would be useful to create your new blynk app :relieved:

2 Likes

Thank you, done that :+1:t3:

Anything else like that that I need to take with me before the Blynk Legacy stops?

Thanks.

1 Like

No , just download the new blynk app to see how it works and ask us for help if needed

1 Like

You might want to do screenshots in both run and edit mode, so you can see which virtual pins each widget is connected to. That makes it easier to figure out the elation ships between your widgets and your code - assuming that you haven’t documented all of this in your sketch.

Pete.

2 Likes

Makes sense, I have taken screenshots of all the edit menus of all my widgets :+1:t3:. In order to know which widgets refer to which virtual pins in my code :+1:t3:

Thanks everybody.

1 Like

Hello! I would like to share an IoT platform that I found that works very well with the ESP8266 and ESP32. It would be an good alternative to blynk legacy.
Here I leave you the link: https://www.chipchop.io/

Regards

1 Like