My first weather station

That’s good , thanks

Well, finally. : D

1 Like

may be firewall problem ?

I use google translator and sometimes weird translate

1 Like

I fixed some errors in the code, like wind speed measurement, put ntp time sync, and keeps and sends the previous day’s rainfall.

So, you can connect to blynk server now ?

yes, esp32 still works

1 Like

I don’t understand how this works.
You’re using long integers, which can never increment by anything less than 1.

Pete.

i am still learning esp32 programming, no bug is reported, but thank you for the help and will fix this part.

Corrected

1 Like

21 posts were split to a new topic: Questions about solar powered ESP/Relay project

Hi Guys,

I finally finished my project, thnx again for all you help and suggestions along the way.

It’s working well however I constantly get spurious Rainfall readings. I had no issues when it was on the workbench, but now that it is external there are constant rainfall readings, even with no rain.

I think it might be because the ESP32 board is at the base of the pole, about 2m of cable from the sensor. I think noise on the cable may be triggering the sensor interrupt.

I don’t want to pull the sensors down to test on the bench, and I don’t have another rain-gauge sensor to connect to test directly on the ESP8266 . . . I may connect another hall-effect sensor to test as a substitute.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

cul
billd

PS. Customs circuit board was designed on easyeda.com

4 Likes

Make sure that the digital input of the wind speed meter does not float but is connected to a pole opposite a resistor such as 10K.

I was thinking about thatFigure-3_lightbox

That’s the wind vane . . .not the rain gauge.

thnx
billd

yes i know, this is just an illustrative drawing from the internet

But why would you post that? I have a problem with the RAIN GAUGE, not the wind vane . . .

cul
billd

i showed this picture because i think the situation is similar. i think the wire is floating in the air therefore, pick up faulty signals.

Nice job @Bill_Donnelly!!
Have you tried looking outside to make sure that it isn’t actually raining? :rofl:

I assume that you have an interrupt with some debounce code attached to your rain gauge pin, and that the pin is defined with INPUT_PULLUP?
I found that when the rain gauge bucket does tip then it needs a lot more debouncing than the wind gauge, but that’s obviously not what’s causing your issue here.

Are these false positives occurring when it’s windy? Your pole seems very long (as the actress said to the bishop :grinning: ) and I wonder if the reed switch is being vibrated open an closed, or if the switch and the magnet are right at the limit of their range.
This would only be an issue if the magnet was meant to keep the switch in its default state and moving it out of range causes an interrupt event. I’m not sure if this is the case, and I don’t have a rain gauge to hand. This website:
http://www.philpot.me/weatherinsider.html
has some photos of the inside of the gauge and it seems that the reed switch is on a circuit board which stands vertically at the side of the tipping bucket and the magnet is probably attached to the side of the bucket. Maybe padding-out the board so it sits closer to the bucket, and/or easing the reed switch away from the board slightly (without snapping the glass bead of course) would help?

Maybe a bit of food for thought?

Pete.

Thnx,

I have this on the interrupt pin . . .

pinMode(pin_rainGauge, INPUT_PULLUP);

It worked fine on the bench, just not on the 2m pole.

cul
billd