Finer widget positioning?

I would like to know how to have more precise control over widget positions.

In design mode, when we move a widget, we see a matrix of dots - suggesting it is a grid to which widgets can snap onto. Unfortunately it appears that the actual positions are on every 4th dot!

I really want to position some LED widgets in a specific arrangement that calls for some of the LED widgets to be placed with a granularity of at 2 grid dots at a minimum.

I looked for a setting that may be constraining positioning but could not find one, I hope I am missing how to do this.

I was hoping that perhaps I could resize the LED widget so that it would bring the circle into the correct place, but I cant seem to be able to get the LED widget to resize (even to make it bigger). This may be due to the fact that I have been struggling to get widgets to go into ‘resize mode’. Searching the posts here I see suggestions that they need space, and some are not resizable. :frowning:

@Lichtsignaal may like this - it is for controlling my Lichtsignaal ! At present it is controlled with physical switches but I plan on buying some relays so I can control it from my phone!

All ideas go here now…

Vote for yours under existing idea…

Increase Canvas Grid granularity

yes but being new here I do not yet know if it is something I am missing or if it is a novel idea…

It is a good idea to peruse all the Announcement topics… good way to catch up :slight_smile:

This should be somewhat adjustable, to a limit at least…

EDIT - Only in Android Beta App so far…

LED resize is supported by two latest app’s version - 2.27.0 and 2.27.1 - and not only in beta.

2 Likes

I am using 2.27.1 running on Android Nexus 6P
I cannot get an LED into resize mode.
I give a long press.
Nothing next to the LED.
I also tried with a newly added LED.
What could I be doing wrong?

It may have to do with your phone. Make sure the animations settings are not turned off. Sometimes people do this to make the phone “feel” more responsive.

1 Like

Wow, I’ll recheck for sure, but it should work. Maybe I’ll add some logging for your case. I’ll update this thread later

1 Like

I also battle getting a button to resize. Sometimes I can get it to work, but mostly not. It seems to work better if I move it upwards first, but even that is not reproducible.

what is the exact steps we are supposed to use, just a long press right?

after a long press the button expands, but I dont get any anchor dots to move the edges.

I tried also with a Styled Button and managed to get the button outside the resize boundary!

1 Like

Wow, that’s interesting, do you have some issues with touch on your device? If not, I can prepare additional logging in beta build for this case, so we can check what’s exactly is going on on your device. Have you tried any other smartphone except this one?

Today, in a new project, I slid a control below the ‘fold’ and I was able to resize it there. Then I could move it back up.
I decided to see if a LED widget would also resize if moved to the bottom first, and I found it now resizes.
I checked the version: still 2.27.1.

I went back to my project with the LEDs that I wanted to resize, and the LED widgets there still refused to resize. So I moved one to the bottom of the app, and when it got there it had the resize grabs! I was able to resize it there and move it up again. Other LEDs could also be moved down, resized then moved back up again.

So the workaround is four steps:

1. move the control south and it jumps to the very bottom.
  2. scroll down to find it, use the grabs to resize it.
  3. Press elsewhere to end resizing
  4. Move it up again

I don’t have another smartphone. I could try and install Blynk on a Nexus 7 tablet though if you like.

If dragging widget to bottom moves the dashboard to it’s very bottom - for sure you have disabled animations on your device, that’s why tesize is not working on it, as it also is showing in the end of positioning animation.

1 Like

OK I don’t recall altering that but I will look for it - thanks

found three animation settings and turned all three on. Now it resizes.
It is strange that some would resize and some others would not.
Many thanks.

1 Like

It looks like it is different cases of animations playback, that’s why sometimes it was possible to open resize alert. Thanks for pointing this strange case - I’ll check how to rework this cases for disabled animations.

2 Likes