ESPproMon Smart Energy Meter App - what is it?

Our GitHub repository for hardware we have tested with the ESPproMon© energy monitoring and control smartphone app is now taking shape.

We would welcome any questions or suggestions regarding additional details you would like to see.

P.S. don’t forget to Star, follow and all that good stuff :slight_smile:

4 Likes

congrats Costas for your fine work!!!

1 Like

Nice illustration of whole house monitoring showing the fridge / freezer compressor kicking in and powering down through the night (blue and red lines) and the first cuppa of the day :slight_smile:
pF can also be worked out for those that are interested (0.86).

And landscape version of SuperChart:

Now then, before we publish, Light or Dark theme?

2 Likes

I choose dark theme. It is more vivid to my eyes…

2 Likes

Yes… the dark theme just offers much better visual contrast.

PS Your first cuppa is waayyy too early in the morning to wake up… Wait, what am I saying, that is usually when I go to sleep, so what do I know :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Dark theme works better for me.
Not sure I’d plot both Kw and Amps on the supercharg though, they exactly mirror each other so use one of the other.

Pete.

1 Like

@PeteKnight fair comment about Kw and Amps, it was just some code testing we were doing. The screenshots are not true reflections of the app and the screenshot below is the first 2 tabs of the 4 tabs.

As you will see Superchart actually displays COST, ENERGY, CURRENT and VOLTAGE. We will probably switch CURRENT for TEMPERATURE in the final version.

Tabs 3 and 4 currently look like this:

We have been running with the light theme for quite some time but the consensus does appear to be that dark is better.

1 Like

No contest really between dark and light. I don’t know why I have been running with the light theme for so long.

3 Likes

Light is much better for me. It is more “lightweight”.

Actually I think you have a bug in My Apps for the 2 themes. Having changed the original project to dark, updated the app and also selected dark in the app settings, then as expected it gives the dark theme.

If the phone goes to sleep sometimes when it wakes it decides the light theme would be best. Or technically a variation of light with a bit of dark around the edges.

If I exit the app and return, the dark theme is OK again, until the next sleep.

A little bit late but the Dark theme look awesome!
In fact I have updated my projects using the SuperChart to dark!
IMHO, Dark theme is more comfortable to read.

1 Like

Okay I think I need to buy a smart meter for my home since Im pulling about 45A 24/7 from my 63A supply and really need to keep an eye on it so nothing melts!

2 Likes

hmmmnnn. thats interesting and very nice stuff. can you share the latest code and qr if you dont mind @Costas :hugs:

@Castle do you have any of the required hardware i.e. Open Energy Monitor, PeaceFair or Allegro MicroSystems (plus obligatory ESP8266)?

See https://github.com/pieman64/ESPproMon for details of hardware we have tested with our app.

A QR code and the code for ESPecoMon©, which uses the ACS712 is available at https://github.com/pieman64/ESPecoMon

Just planing to purchase the required hardwares,. ESPecoMon is fine, im much interested to ESPproMon.

Yes the professional version is much more powerful than the economy version.

In the next couple of weeks we are hoping to do a major overhaul of one of our websites to give our appraisal of the different hardware systems we have tested. Obviously each individual has a different set of criteria, so for example if your maximum budget is $2 (plus ESP8266) then the ACS712 will be the way to go.

If you are not qualified to work with mains electricity then the Open Energy Monitor systems are probably best for you.

If you or your best mate are qualified electricians then the PeaceFair system is an excellent choice.

We will post a link to the website here when it’s been updated.

Meanwhile we are looking for 1000 individuals, only :slight_smile: , who would be interested in obtaining low cost, high accuracy energy monitoring and control systems.

So @Castle you might want to hold off on your purchase.

Dear Costas, please, Count me in to these 1000 individuals…

@mikekgr just 999 more needed now then.

1 Like

Maybe we can interest @Jamin with this huge 45A 24/7?

1 Like

Count me in!