Buying a new device for $5

Thanks for your reply sir.

First in my opinion, blynk still new to people so they are still learning, nobody buying because of this.

Second the plus plan comes with 5 user seats only.

1 Like

This change will be reflected on the existing account during this week

Because we see people buying PLUS this assumption might be incorrect.

I swear it was 5 users max, I donā€™t know when you changed this but thank you so much :pray:. Iā€™m so happy now.

Itā€™s just my opinion, might be right or might be not, I assumed that because people still asking about the simplest issues like where can they get the auth token, how to configure pins, how to use automation etc.

Its hardly few months since the release of BlynkIoTā€¦ and we are all in a hangover under the influence of Blynk legacy. It takes time to settle down.

And more over the BlynkIoT is not matured enough. There are still plenty of features and documents to be set. It is pretty much still ā€œUNDER DEVELOPMENTā€ much like a beta release.

One more main aspect is - You guys have decided to keep the Blynk legacy running for some more time[GOOD ] (new reg already stopped). Now before that old platform comes to a complete halt !! We cannot expect massive device purchases. Because taking the module out flashing it with new firmware and before doing that we need to migrate the code from old to new !! During this procedure we encounter many problems(we already see those on the forum).

So many have simply let the old devices run Including meā€¦ once they stop working we start to buy the remaining number of devices requiredā€¦

If the old servers had already stopped working by now, then scenario would have been totally different.

The pricing plan what was released at first was really good. Infact you could have added separate cost for few extraordinary widgets and offline automations (just an example) and even voice assistant too.

We really do !! We still talk about this new pricing very often. It was really cool for students to play with ! Even parents will not think twice before buying a device. But when they hear the word subscription they loose their cool n say NO.

This will not matter much because lets say I have 4 members in my house ! I will login with my account on all 4 phones ! We need not login daily once done is doneā€¦! And after all we have a diff password for everything n they are our parents so no problem in sharing the password.

But by mistake they can change setting or delete device without knowing, add or remove user.

Apart from this i dont find anything wrong.

1 Like

I think itā€™s early days yet. People are still looking at Blynk IoT migrations from Legacy and looking at the best way to handle things.
The lack of a simple bridge, or way to display widgets from multiple devices on the dame app screen may also be holding people back on the device front.

Iā€™d certainly advocate for the ability to buy additional devices for each plan, maybe with a limit (5-10 possibly) for the free plan.
Giving people flexibility, but within a framework which limits their ability to abuse a plan and use it in ways that you havenā€™t intended, allows greater scope for end users and therefore makes Blynk more appealing.

Most makers are going to be happy with a Plus subscription. Itā€™s a similar monthly price as a Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify etc and affordable for most. If they had to step up to Pro then thatā€™s a different league.
Some Plus users will maybe want more devices, and as youā€™ve already built a mechanism that allows you to sell them why withdraw it, simply because few people have yet to use that functionality?

Ever walked into a shop and asked for a ā€œthingyā€ and been told ā€œno, we donā€™t sell them anymore, because nobody wants themā€. Well, you want one, and the shopkeeper just missed a sale!

Pete.

6 Likes

Mr Pete you really understand the way we feel thanks.
I finished up my hardware setup last week
And the device is know where to be found
Please bring it back
I strongly believed you will make more market than others

1 Like

@Pavel

Iā€™m astonished at this change. Iā€™ve just spotted it.

My use case is I have 20 odd devices. The reason I have not cracked on with it and bought more is because it takes time. Itā€™s taking time because V20 for me (and I stress for me) is not providing the full migration from V1. old blynk. Time input widget for example. My intension in going for the plus plan was that within 6 months when things have settled down I would start buying more devices at what I thought was a reasonable price as I started to migrate . I needed to see that you were going to make some progress in catching up with what we were used to before shelling out more money.

Forgive me but I feel like I have been lured in. I am very disappointed.

Those who bought the plus plan before you made the pricing change a few days ago should be allowed at least to continue with the plan we thought we were buying or at least here should be some grace period before you make the change.

I really think you are in danger of alienating for old user base.

The plus plan is just too expensive for me.

Also I see there is a limit of 80 widgets for the plus plan. Is this also a recent change. For my 15 devices thatā€™s just a handful per device. Once again itā€™s too expensive to upgrade to more widgets.

After 5 years of using blynk and contributing to the development in a minor way. Putting ideas forward and helping debug it. It seems like a slap in the face.

I do agree that you need to go commercial now. But do that with your new users. And donā€™t change the rules suddenly for for those that have thought they had bought into a plan already with a steady upgrade path.

I agree in a subscription mechanism. But is needs some better granularity.

Please reconsider. I will not be proceeding otherwise. Maybe that doesnā€™t concern you and Blynk anymore.

1 Like

@koaiwi

This 80 widgets limit is not for the plus plan, itā€™s 80 widgets per template, so if you have 10 devices, each device have a template, then you will be able to add 800 widgets in total.

Keep in mind that when you use the plus plan you canā€™t buy more devices, itā€™s 10 devices maximum. If you need more devices then you should upgrade to the pro plan.

Greetings.

Hit the nail right on the headā€¦lack of a simple bridge and way to display widgets from multiple devices.
That is what is holding me back

1 Like

It does not make sense if I have more than 10 devices with a small number to pay a large amount for it, there must be a subscription plan for the amount of devices we have

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @John93 It just says ā€œWidget number limitā€ referring to the plan. Not ā€œ80 widgets per templateā€. And Iā€™ve just tried the page/info tab enhancement. When creating in the app it says 10 pages max for pages and 7 tabs max for info tab. But stops me with the upgrade message after Iā€™ve created 1 page or 1 tab. Is this correct? What should it be? 1 or as per what it says on the developer mode app page.

One page is correct. Weā€™ll fix it with the next update.
Regarding plans - weā€™re experimenting a lot these days. Most likely new plans will be introduced.

2 Likes

@Dmitriy. Thanks for your comment regarding the fluid nature of the plans.

Fine to experiment with the plans. You do have to make money to be around long term. Not to be commercially viable is not in anyoneā€™s interest. Especially now we donā€™t have the server side software to fall back on should Blynk be sold off and trashed. Remember Pachube?

What I think I have an issue with is that I signed up and paid for plus with the expectation of what seemed to me a reasonable add on price per device for my growth path as I migrated to Blynk 2.0ā€¦ Then without any notice at all and so soon after my initial purchase I discover by chance that to get say 5 extra devices would not cost me a one off price of $25 it was going to cost me $500/year. Over say 5 years thatā€™s 100 times more expensive. I would not use the full 40 devices. I donā€™t need 40 seats. That price is for commercial with a product that is sold. The cost would be covered. Iā€™m not in that league.

You will have had many suggestions I assume. So forgive me for giving you more to the extent of granny sucking eggs. Suggestions will have been all different with pros and cons for Blynk and the various types of customers. My view for what it is worth is that the commercial clients will need devices and users to expand hand in hand. They will be recovering the subscription via product sales. The home hobbyist will want 1-30 devices and very few users - maybe 5. We are used to paying a netflix price of Ā£10/month.

Do you think how this change was made is fair and equitable?

2 Likes

I understand the problem. Weā€™ll discuss it within the team and weā€™ll make up something.

1 Like

Itā€™s impossible to make plans that will work for everyone. Every time there is a change some people will like it and others will not. There is no getting around that.

The thing that makes it difficult for people interested in the Pro (and higher) plans for business purposes is when the pricing keeps changing. If I plan to charge customers X because Blynk charges Y, and then I check back later and now I have to charge Z because Blynk is has changed Y.

The Pro plan works great for me right now, and the way it can scale to get businesses up to the White Label option is great, just FYI.

Agree. Also, we didnā€™t change the PRO pricing recently. The price is the same since the launch.

Unfortunately, I will also be forced to migrate from Blynk IOT ā€¦ here are the reasons for my difficult choice.

2 free devices without the possibility of buying new devices, not having the possibility to choose between a free dashboard where you could unify your commands and devices such as the fantastic Blynk Legacy, Video Streaming widget not free, lack of BRIDGE communication between devices are too big a limit for my private projects.

1 Like

@seby we will be sorry to see you go before we add more awesome features to Blynk.
BTW, you can still use 1.0 if it works for you.

I think the new version is an excellent product and I see ongoing potential. I am still in the process of converting from local server. I am also in the process converting 2.0 widgets from a previously registered email account as there is no vehicle to migrate to a new account.

I plan on adding more devices but to make a premature business to decision to elimate the ability to add new devices, considering the product is not 100 percent complete and the fact that is supported by a user group is disappointing.

Im wondering what the corporate 500 users that are paying a substantial more money for corporate plans think when they have access to this message board as well.

I think the principals are wearing their sunday best on a monday instead.