Antenna Control

Before creating the topic

1. Search forum for similar topics
  2. Check http://docs.blynk.cc and http://help.blynk.cc/
  3. Add details :
    • Hardware model + communication type. For example: Arduino UNO with Ethernet Shield
    • Smartphone OS (iOS or Android) + version
    • Blynk server or local server
    • Blynk Library version
    • Add your sketch code. :point_up:Code should be formatted as example below.

Has two ESP8266 WiFi 5V 2 Channel Relay Module IOT. Both should be connected to WIFI and then to an App in an Iphone 13 iOS. What can I find a suitable App to control the two modules?

I’m assuming you’re talking about the boards that have a couple of relays and an ESP-01 on board to control them?
If so then the relays are controlled via serial commands and you would need to re-program the ESP-01 to work with Blynk. Is this what you had in mind?

Is it this type of board?..

Pete.

Yes it is a similar device. attaches a picture.

And what is your level of experience in editing C++ code and uploading it to the ESP-01?
Do you have an ESP-01 to USB adapter or an FTDI TTL to USB adapter?
What is the final project going to be used for?

Pete.

Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of C++. Had envisioned an App in my mobile where I could turn the relays on and off. Will see if I can solve it with the help of my knowledgeable friends.

1 Like

I guess the ESP-01 may already be programmed to work with an app, but if that were the case then I would have expected some info about how to download the app and configure the device.
If you want to use it with Blynk, which would allow you to control the relays from anywhere in the world, then you’d need to re-program the ESP-01 to run your own code.

Pete.

Pete
Have tested several apps for iOS and it is asked for IP address and port. What to find these I have no knowledge of. Do you have tips on what to find these?!

If the information that came with the board didn’t point you towards a specific app the you aren’t going to have any success I’m afraid.

Maybe you should look at the WiFi relays made by Shelly or Sonoff, as they have dedicated apps that allow you to add devices and control them as needed.

Pete.

Pete,

The main problem is how to get the two devices connected to the same network. I haven’t found a solution to how to proceed.

The requirement is to have an app in the mobile or in the computer that I can turn on the same relays example 1 in both devices at the same time and in the same way for relay 2.

But as I’ve said before, I don’t have the skills to write a program.

Ingvar

The devices from Shelly or Sonoff sound like they would do exactly what you need out of the box without any programming. Have you looked at them?

Pete.

Pete

Have looked at Shelly. But should the devices outdoors. Have spent some time and material on the devices. Will see if I can find a solution. Attaches picture of the enclosure.

Ingvar

So is this going to be battery power5ed?

It’s really difficult to help if you just keep drip-feeding small pieces of information.

Pete.

Pete
Yes it is batteri power 5volt. Here’s the spec of the devices.

Skärmklipp40

Ingvar

I’m not going to keep up this conversation unless you’re much more forthcoming about your project.
You’ll find that the batteries in the photo won’t power that board for very long.

Pete.

Pete

Have solved the problem.
Will use device USB to ESP8266 ESP-01S Serial Wireless Wifi Adapter Module Wi-Fi and software from ESP_Easy.

As for the battery, you can program Sleep mode in several ways,

Deep sleep can be programmed in three ways. At its lowest, the device draws a maximum of a few microamps

Ingvar

@Ingvar_Josefsson If you’re going to re-flash the devices with ESP_Easy code then you’d probably be better using Blynk instead.

As far as using any of the available sleep modes is concerned, the issue is that all of them turn off WiFi, as that is the thing that consumes the most power. Without WiFi the device is unreachable from an app (or ESP_Easy), so if you want to control your relays from an app you can’t while its sleeping.
The process of waking-up and re-connecting to the WiFi router takes time (relatively speaking), so the concept of say a 50:50 sleep wake cycle to cut battery consumption by half isn’t really a viable option.

Also, to wake-up the ESP8266 chip, there needs to be a wired connection between GPIO16 and the RST pin. On the ESP01/S the GPIO16 connection on the chip isn’t broken-out to a physical pin on the board. This means that if you want to wake-up from any of the sleep modes then you need to do some micro soldering on the ESP-01 module. This isn’t an issue when you use larger form-factor ESP8266 boards such as the Wemos D1 Mini or NodeMCU because they have GPIO16 broken-out to a pin on the board. But, sleep mode work in exactly the same way for these boards, turning off WiFi during the sleep period.

Once again, because you haven’t shared any real info about what exactly it is that you’re trying to achieve it’s difficult to advise you about the most appropriate solution; but I don’t see how your current proposed solution will work.

Pete.

Hi
Where did you get the device from , paste a link
If you want to controll the device from an PC/ App using the batteries in the picture, you are doomed before you start the project.
you will have power like one day, are you aware of this ?

Well I am fully aware that the battery discharges quickly at the 84 mA that the device consumes.
When the devices are not in use, I will mount a switch on each unit.
This is in the first place a prototype to test how to move the antenna’s frequency without taking it down. Dipole antennas with traps have a narrow bandwidth. Especially at low frequencies at 160/80 meters. You can’t put too much work into the technology before you know if it works.

If you have 12v available then I’d go for a couple of Shelly 1’s…

They’re tiny and you should get a couple in your waterproof box.

If you have 24v available then you could use a single Shelly Plus 2PM

I’ve used quite a few of these, and although I tend to re-flash them with my own firmware and use them with Blynk, the Shelly app is quite nice and very easy to use.

Pete.

Has solved DC 5V ESP8266 Dual Channel WiFi power consumption. There are several ways to control it. The attached Relay module, WiFi, 5V, Sonoff RE5V1C has a Standby: <1mW with the low power consumption, the battery will hold the charge for a long time.

Ingvar