The old version of Blynk will be retired at some point, you should start planning your migration to the new version

In the new version the BRIDGE is missing, a really big loss … :frowning:

1 Like

no, we got around the problem :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hello Pete,

I fully agree with you that we should start migrating to the new Blynk version. But I find it rather difficult to find my way .
First of all there are a couple of new concepts, which to me should be better be explained. Like template, device…Just a simple explanation of the purpose of the concept would clarify a lot.

I have a very simple application (in the old version ) communicating with an arduino uno board connected to a router via ethernet. I 've tried to understand how to migrate to the new blynk, but all the examples I find on how to set up this configuration in the new blynk eventually end up in a wifi connection thing and don’t detail how to connect via ethernet. Do I have to incorporate the blynk.edgent library into the arduino code etc…
A simple example - a push button widget - lighting a led via an arduino board connected via an ethernet cable to a router would clarify a lot

If a guideline explaining this would exist , would you please provide me with directions where to find it

regards

Rob

No, Blynk Edgent is for use with WiFi connections.

Migrating you existing code is simply a case of adding an additional line of code that contains your template ID, but this MUST be at the beginning of your sketch.
There are many examples in the Blynk library.

The only exception to this is if you use Notifications, Bridge or the Timer widget, but your simple blink an LED example is very straightforward.

Pete.

This is exactly what @Robert doesn’t want, as it uses Edgent and WiFi provisioning, which is not relevant with an Ethernet connection.

Pete.

I have a question: did I understand correctly that my blynk 0.1 is completely unusable and that I now have to start from scratch with blynk 2? Or can I just keep using blynk 0.1?

Blynk 0.1 (Legacy) is no longer supported.
Blynk we’re planning to turn off the cloud servers at the end of this year, but they seem to have changed their mind on the timing, and it’s not now clear when they will be turned-off.

My advice is to migrate to Blynk 2.0 (IoT).

Pete.

ok but my old code is kind of useless for blynk 2.0? And I can’t use the version with a local server either, can I?

Why?

If you’re using a local server with Blynk Legacy then why are you worried about the cloud server EOL situation?

Pete.

Because can i copy paste the code to blynk 2.0 or do I have to start from scratch of?

I dont use a local server but that was my question if I use a local server, I can then continue to use blynk 0.1?!

Neither?
If you want to use dynamic provisioning, you’re best bet is to load up the Edgent example for your applicable board and modify that sketch to your needs (inserting your code).
If you are fine with static provisioning the code will be quite similar, just need to add the Device Name and Template ID lines to the very top of your sketch after creating them in the web console and assigning your datastreams correctly.

Yes. You just need to add-in the template ID if you want static provisioning. The rest depends on your code, it may need some minor tweaks for RTC, notifications etc.

You could, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Local server will take some setting-up and maintaining, and depending on your choice of hardware platform may require a reasonable investment if you want a bulletproof solution.
It also depends if you use iOS or Android.
If you use iOS then once the app is pulled from the App Store you’ll have a big problem.

Pete.

1 Like

So i have now updated everything to blynk 1.0, everything works too (thanks vor helping), only i noticed that offline notifications are either very late or not at all. Do I have to add anything to the code?

Typo?

Pete.

Yes i mean 2.0 :sweat_smile:

In the device informations it shows me online since 8:15 but in the timeline it shows 6:24 but i did not get any offline notification.

Hello,

Is there any plans of a goodwill gesture from the developers for the energy purchased on Blynk 1.0? Something like 2-3 months of plus or extra devices on any plan chosen?
I bought 20£ last year and pretty much never managed to use them for personal issues, I was now starting to work again on some project but having to invest again Blynk 2.0 more money is kind of a set back and I was not anticipating it. When I heard of Blynk 2.0 I believed the energy could be simply be transferred.

Thanks

P.

Yes there was a goodwill gesture (in june or was it july?) for the early birds who activated a Blynk IOT plan.

UPDATE JUNE 2022

Blynk have now announced that the Legacy servers will be turned-off on 31st December 2022.

This means that Legacy projects that are hosted on the Blynk cloud servers will permanently stop working at the end of the year.

More info here…

What does this mean for Local Server users?
The decision to remove the Legacy apps from the App Store and Play Store at the end of This month will also make life difficult for Legacy local server users.
It won’t be as much of an issue for Android users, but iOS users will have no way to install the legacy app on a new device that isn’t jailbroken. Although the existing app will continue to work on the existing device, when you migrate to a new iOS device then the app still needs to be available in the App Store for it to become available on the new device.

So, if you are a local server user then sideloading the legacy app .apk on to an Android device will be the only viable way of keeping the app running, and it seems unlikely that there will be any future vulnerability/compatibility fixes for local server.

Maybe a good time to migrate to Blynk IoT if at all possible?

Pete.

4 Likes