Terminal has new bad behavior - Not flushing and scrolls to top on App start

I see the original bug I posted above is fixed (in 2.15.2 or before), but the terminal has new bad behavior.

On long strings of output, it appears to not flush, and the output looks slightly corrupted. However, if I restart the app, the terminal data looks perfect. One additional problem is that restarting the Blynk app scrolls the terminal all the way to the top. It really should scroll to bottom on app restart.

@BlynkAndroidDev
Yes I observed the same bad behavior.
Please Blynk crew solve this problem as well…

there two bugs:
1.-it duplicates strings, (I said it in version 2.15.1) but nobody answered me
2.- auto scrolling doesn’t work as usual

indeed, i had the same problems too. for a momentary workaround i do it like this (i’m on phone, sorry for the code formatting):

terminal.println(" ");
terminal.flush();
terminal.println(“your message here”);
terminal.flush();

actually, putting terminal.flush() after each terminal.print line, seems to solve the problem.

Do you have auto-scroll option enabled in your terminal?

we had fixed strings duplication, if it still reproduces in your side, could you attach here your sketch?

I had the same problem that it is solved when at the terminal switched OFF the Auto Scrolling and then back ON

@BlynkAndroidDev I have autoscroll on and it doesn’t.

Duplicating strings is still in the debugging version you released a few days ago.

For reference I only ever use virtualWrite() to Terminal not print() and flush().

Updated log build for terminal:

Lines duplication issue should be fixed, but on scroll i have no idea - please send me the log from this build. Thanks.

1 Like

@BlynkAndroidDev for me that’s fixed both problems, duplicates and scrolling.

My terminal window was working fantastic until recently, too. Worked marvelously until a week ago. Have seen all of the mentioned symptoms:

• println’s don’t always appear as expected. An on/off button that writes to log doesn’t write the “on” press, but another press writes 2 lines, the “on” and “off” press. Other functions, like a door that opens and closes, doesn’t write the open but writes both lines when the door closes. A .flush happens after every println, anyway, so @wanek the workaround doesn’t help me much. Adding a .flush statement that fires often doesn’t help, either. All lines appear as expected if the app wasn’t running at the time, or if I kill the app and restart it.

• Have seen duplicated lines, but the duplicates go away after restarting the app.

• Scrolling is erratic. It definitely isn’t working as a true “terminal” window should, although it used to.

Switched from the table widget, which actually worked better for my purposes but fell victim to issues after the 100’th entry. Nobody seemed interested in correcting, so I switched to terminal widget, but now seems to be falling victim to similar issues.

EDIT: I haven’t tried the APK @BlynkAndroidDev put up --> lazy

@brianr what app version do you have? We just did release with fixes yesterday.

Android 2.15.3, updated yesterday. Behavior still happening. Button press, nothing showing in the log. Press again, 2 lines appear. Also, button press, nothing showing in the log, but kill the app, restart, it shows there. Have restarted phone, restarted device, etc…

Please attach here your sketch

Also you could install log build from the link in my previous post and send us a log.

Apk isn’t installing (says “X App not installed” when running apk, unknown sources enabled), I’m assuming it’s merely Blynk with a logger built into it, not a fix, anyway. My project is quite complex and refined at this point - I shudder at the thought of uninstalling Blynk to install a dev version and losing my project. I will try to build a simple project and sketch to see if I can reproduce. For what it’s worth, I have tried deleting the terminal widget and then adding it back in, no difference… Will work on a simple project, post results…

Incorrect.

I shuddered too but that’s exactly what I did and all was fine. I did also move Blynk from the SD card back to internal storage and it seems to run much smoother. Maybe it’s some of the cache that was cleared during the app removal.

Do you mean internal storage of your OLD Samsung?
I guess it’s time for you to change to something new… :wink:

@psoro yep the old S3 and I received a new battery (approx $5) a few weeks ago so that’s at least 2 more years of use.

Our Samsung 10.1 TAB “died” about a week ago but after a few days I stripped it down and it’s as good as new now. I thought it might need a new battery but is was fine, don’t really know why it sprang back to life.

A couple of months ago I bought my first ever “Apple” only to find that the “modern” iPhone 4 isn’t supported by Blynk :frowning:

Means I now have to learn to build my own Apple app’s to support the “4” for another 5 years.

My wife has a Samsung S6 that I use for testing now and again. I also use her old $40 Alcatel Android that’s still got a good few years left in her.

1 Like

Your project is saved on the cloud. Removing the app would not cause project’s removal.

1 Like