Sensors readings deteriorate when input signal is received

good point, I will change that, however the sensors erratic reading is affected regardless of time interval

1 Like

Time for a bit of systematic fault-finding then.

Remove some of the changes, and eliminate some of the questionable things you’ve done until you get to a point where it’s working again.

Of course, it’s possible that you’ve killed your NodeMCU worth the excessive current draw, or mis-wiring the display or relay (which doesn’t seem to be mentioned in your sketch).
Reverting to a last known working situation will help you eliminate that possibility.

Pete.

System works now, as long as I dont use the external hardware to process the signal. ( taking the 24 v and send it to NodeMCU Pin. I will try using a different GPIO and see.

Thanks!

What the “no interupt” portion would mean? I am not, by any means, an expert. The reason I used such pin is because it has a pulldonw resistor and that way it was easy for me to set it up to get a 3,3 V signal to make it high. The rest of the pins have pullup resistors and I am not sure if I can make them work the same way.

I hope my explanation can give you some insight, I am very thankful for your responses

It means that if you use the attachInterrupt command it wont work with that pin.

GPIO0 isn’t a good pin to use, you’d be better using a 10k pull-down resistor on a different pin, or pulling the pin LOW with a digitalWrite command.

talk of 24 volts on NodeMCU pins that can only tolerate 5v is a bur worrying, but you don’t seem to want to share the “big picture” so it’s difficult to know what thi9s really means, That’s why I’d said that it’s you that needs to do the fault finding in a systematic way.

Pete.

I assume the relay coil command is 24v, and the pin terminal is wired to 3.3v

I am sorry, I am using a 24 volt to 3.3 volt optocoupler to convert the signal from PLC to NodeMCU. The optocupler is powered by a separate power supply and both grounds ( the opto’s and NodeMCU’s ) are bonded so the output from the optocoupler is the input for the NodeMCU pin.

1 Like

I’m really none the wiser. I’ll take a back seat until you decide to elaborate fully.

Pete.

1 Like

something like that ? If yes it’s not a good idea !

Forgive my crude drawing, thats the kind of optocoupler I have. grounds are bonded at the optocoupler.

NodeMCU is powered by another power supply using the micro usb port

Thanks to everyone for your help, I have changed the code to use D5 as input pin, also moved the optocoupler closer to the NodeMCU module. Below is the updated code. Also a Screen shot of what the dashboard looks like so you can have a better understanding of what the system does. There is a machine that washes plastic trays. The process requires water to be above 120 degrees, there is , a dirty side and a clean side, where water is heated on two separated steel tubs ( 320 gallon each) and we want to track the temperature when the washer is running. There is 5 25 HP pumps controlled by a PLC to spray and wash down the trays, and so I use a signal from the PLC to “record” when the machine is on “RUN” state.

#define BLYNK_TEMPLATE_ID "TXXXXXX"
#define BLYNK_DEVICE_NAME "Tray Washer"
#define BLYNK_AUTH_TOKEN "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
char auth[] = BLYNK_AUTH_TOKEN;
char ssid[] = "XXXXXXXXXX";
char pass[] = "XXXXXXXXXX";

//#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial
#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>
#include <OneWire.h>
#include <DallasTemperature.h>
OneWire oneWireA(D6);
OneWire oneWireB(D7);

DallasTemperature sensorsA(&oneWireA);
DallasTemperature sensorsB(&oneWireB);
BlynkTimer timer;
int lcdColumns = 16;
int lcdRows = 2;
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27, lcdColumns, lcdRows);

float temp1, temp2;

void setup()

{

lcd.init();
  // turn on LCD backlight
  lcd.backlight();
  pinMode(D5, INPUT);  // this is the pin that reads if machine is running.
  Serial.begin(115200);
  sensorsA.begin();
  sensorsB.begin();
  Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass);
  timer.setInterval(600000L, sendTemps);
  timer.setInterval(30000L, sendalert);
  timer.setInterval(30000L, state);
}

void sendTemps() {

sensorsA.requestTemperatures();
  sensorsB.requestTemperatures();
  temp1 = sensorsA.getTempFByIndex(0);
  temp2 = sensorsB.getTempFByIndex(0);
  Serial.println(temp1);
  Serial.println(temp2);
  Blynk.virtualWrite(V1, temp1);
  Blynk.virtualWrite(V2, temp2);
  lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
  lcd.print("Dirty ");
  lcd.print(temp1);
  lcd.print((char)223);
  lcd.print("F");
  lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
  lcd.print("Clean ");
  lcd.print(temp2);
  lcd.print((char)223);
  lcd.print("F");
}

void sendalert() {

if (digitalRead(D0) == HIGH && temp1 < 120) {

Blynk.logEvent("low_temp", String("Water Temperature Under Threshold Tº: ") + temp1);
    Serial.println("alarm");
  }
}
void state()

{
  if (digitalRead(D5) == HIGH)

{
    Blynk.logEvent("washer_runtime");
    Blynk.virtualWrite(V0, HIGH);  // this keeps track of when the machine is running

}

else if (digitalRead(D5) == LOW) {

Blynk.virtualWrite(V0, LOW);
  }
}

void loop() {

Blynk.run();
  timer.run();
}

And now it works well ?

I think you’ll potentially run into issues with your alerts because you aren’t using a flag to prevent multiple events being logged.

You really ought to use the code formatting utility in the Arduino IDE to make your code more readable too,

Pete.

it is working well as of right now

1 Like

Pete, I had problems at the beginning when I first used events and notifications but I thought I worked out all my issues with multiple events being sent by using the timers

timer.setInterval(600000L, sendTemps);
timer.setInterval(30000L, sendalert);
timer.setInterval(30000L, state); 

but now you have me wondering since I don’t understand the use of a flag… I am sorry, would you elaborate a bit if is not a big inconvenience.

You should read this…

Pete.

1 Like

That was very informative, I believe I’ll thinker with it on a home project to gain some experience. On my current application is not as problematic since the “run state” is only true one or two hours a day, maybe four on a particularly busy day. Thank you both for your support

But you will get an alert every 30 seconds as long as “run state” is true that’s why you need a flag

I totally forgot about that event, “runtime”

Thanks for pointing it out

1 Like