Pi Local Server Questions

I have 2 of these discs, though IDK what constitutes as “good”. I’m only planning to use the Pi to serve the project, so I think I’ll probably use the Zero W and keep the Pi3b for Octoprint and other device control. I already launched the server from the Pi3, but I can’t do anything after that. I’m then unable to log into my app on my phone, I can’t edit the rc.local file when using the pi nor can I log into the UI from either my phone or the Pi itself. I’d like to be able to build the server.properties and mail.properties files as well as the Start, Stop and Restart scripts and whatever else would be need for the server to activate itself when inside the PiZero W because I don’t have a means of connecting to it otherwise, so if need be, I need instruction regarding that as well.

https://ss7.vzw.com/is/image/VerizonWireless/sandisk-ultra-plus-class-10-microsd-16gb-ull-size-sd-adaptor-iset-sdsdqup-016g-v46a?$acc-lg$&fmt=jpeg&wid=565&hei=565&bgc=f6f6f6&qlt=75

There are more ways to Rome. You could find a script on the forum here (there are a couple) for starting/stopping/updating/restarting. I myself wrote two which shouldn’t be too hard to find.

My .sh script can be added to init.d fairly easy (google for init.d startup script debian). The update script is a seperate script loosely working in conjunction with it. E.g. it checks for a new version, downloads it and restarts your server.

How do you start your server now? Can you show us a screenshot of how that works? We’ll go from there :slight_smile:

Sadly, I don’t know how to snap screen shots while inside of Raspbian, nor how to retrieve them from Pi. I’ve tried logging into either of my Blynk accounts from the Pi’s browser, but both return an invalid account. I can search of course and read threads/posts from inside of Pi, but that’s about it.

To launch the server, it seems that I need to reinstall Java 8, then load the jar file as described in the Blynk Server instructions on github. I thought the server would auto launch upon startup, but I was wrong.

If you are connecting to the Pi over VNC you can simply use the snipping tool in Windows…

To catch your RPi screenshots…

After I launched the server on the pi, I tried to connect via the Windows web browser (https://10.0.0.130:8080/admin) and the teal Blynk screen appeared, but my login credentials weren’t being recognized so I was unable to connect to the Pi server from my Windows machine.

Edit - @Lichtsignaal, I SEARCHED for your init.d Startup script, but too many results were produced and I don’t know which one is yours. Can you link me to one of yours so I don’t look into using the wrong one?

That will just get you into the Server admin… nothing on the RPi desktop.

But the default credentials for the admin page have to be used first, then you can create your own…

1 Like

Thanks @Gunner, it let me advance one more step, but still looks to be short of full access. How should I proceed?

I know some Linux purists might break out the pitchforks :stuck_out_tongue: … but i just use this simple command in my /etc/rc.local file… obvoisly you would need to adjust for your folder and java version names :wink:

I tried last night to add a line of script to that file while in the Pi as instructed in the Blynk_Server/Github, but wasn’t able to save the file. I’m hoping I’ll be able to edit it (and other Linux settings) from Windows, albeit from the HTTPS connection, or directly on Windows and then etch the finished linux distro onto the micro SD card fully customized/optimized.

How do you access the Pi? via it’s own KB/mouse/monitor or via VNC from your PC?

I have my PC connected to a TV and a mouse/keyboard connected via a USB nub. I pull the HDMI and nub from the PC, plug them into the Pi3, then power it up and Rasbian displays on the TV. I launch the server from console, then unplug the HDMI and USB nub and reconnect those to the PC. I then open Firefox and open a new tab and enter the Server’s IP and the rest you already know.

Ouch :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, install VNC viewer on your PC and enable VNC on the Pi (if you can)…

https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/vnc/windows/

I installed VNC on both PC and Pi and enabled the VNC on the Pi as you have pictured. I went back to the PC app and nothing changed. What am I supposed to do now?

What is “the PC App”? Blynk App on an android emulator?

RealVNC installed onto Windows PC, and also on the Rpi

Oh… OK, just start the VNC program and create a new connection (AKA a VNC server - the one on your RPi) , enter in the local IP of your RPi and it should connect and ask for your RPi username and password… and if all works, you will see a virtual window of your RPi desktop.

For reasons I cannot comprehend, I am not able to launch VNC from the Pi. I downloaded and installed it twice, but once complete, it just does nothing. I tried searching around the few icons on top/left, but found nothing regarding a VNC app that I can launch. That being said, I am not able to see anything to connect to from inside the PC/VNC app. To make it more of a PITA, I need to keep switching the USB and HDMI back to the PC just to reply because I am not able to log into Blynk from the Pi. I’m nearing the point where I wish to abandon trying to establish the server on the Pi via Raspian which I now believe is actually debian. Either case, IDK. Maybe I’m not meant to have a Blynk server as I’m trying to launch one from either Windows or Rpi and am hitting brick wall after brick wall on both fronts. It’s frustrating to say the least. Thank you for your time and efforts.

Well, if you change your mind… a little light reading of the procedure…

I use a combination of VNC for the graphical GUI into Raspbian (which I believe is based on Debian) and PUTTY / SSH for quick terminal commands like updating Blynk server etc.

Meanwhile, once server is running, you shouldn’t really need to log into the RPi for anything.

You did say you could get to the Admin page, but just needed the default credentials… I understood that you did that from your PC. So that shows the server is at least running.

1 Like

It’s still running, but I will need to power it down to get the micro SD card out to be put into the Pi Zero W. Once in the ZeroW, I will have no way to visually interface with that device directly. Becuase of this reason, I’ll need to preconfigure it all to autoboot and install updates when needed. Even if I could SSH in, I would still need the server to launch itself after booting the device.

VNC is your best bet then for easier remote access, even when you transfer the CD card over, as long as you know the IP address, you will be able to log into it. Also read up on the these things on the https://www.raspberrypi.org site and forum.

And adding the line into /etc/rc.local method I mentioned above will auto start the server. But you have to set that up from the RPi as those files are not accessible on the boot partition of the CD card (in a PC).

Also, activate SSH as you did for the VNC. In a pinch you can use PUTTY to get CLI control of the RPi and do things like edit the rc.local file and start/stop the server, etc.

1 Like