New version of Blynk Platform. Sign up for Beta

I guess thats a bad idea !!
I have an old smartphone 2015 samsung phone. I installed a well known online shopping app today on it. It works but its so crappy and unusable !! I quickly uninstalled it. But the same app on the newer models works just fine and has a totally new UI and other features and UPI payments options.

This means the apps are not being updated or made to work with older phones. And at some point Blynk 1.0 will also behave the same.

As @PeteKnight always says keeping a backup of a .apk may help for android users. And having a old phone that works with blynk in pocket always just to operate few devices n monitor stuff.

For offline use its better to switch to Hass.io or similar. Because we never know when the app stops working or even the phone. And what if we cannot source a old phone !?

With all these considerations i am afraid to stay on blynk 1.0… at the same time i am still having many devices working on Blynk 1.0 and at some time i will update them to work with 2.0….

Have you actually tried Home Assistant?
I’m no slouch when it comes to IT stuff, but after a week of working with a HA test setup was enough for me to realise that it wasn’t for me.

Personally, I’d still recommend MQTT and Node-Red as the core system for something like this, with a Blynk 0.1 local server tagged-on to give remote access and stats. I’d probably go for a Nextion display or two as my primary interface(s) within the motorhome then if a Blynk 2.0 local server is released at some point then it would be simple to transition to that from the Blynk 0.1 local server.

Pete.

Yeah i have used them for a short time !! It works well for a local usage. And also plugins like ESPHOME is easier to work with.

The reason i came back to Blynk was the ability to control devices on any given time (Time input, Timer, Automations) @PeteKnight can you shed some light on this ? If any of them have the ability to trigger a device on time? And has a good UI to set a time ?

The very basic functionality of IOT for home usage is controlling devices on times events !! And all the IOT platforms miss out on that and thats were our BLYNK shines !! Yes we can use tasmota and when we have multiple devices we need to login with its ip address to change settings which is not user friendly. Everything has a walk-around and this has too !! But not as easy as setting things with Blynk.

So all these factors made me fall for Blynk.

2 Likes