New version of Blynk Platform. Sign up for Beta

ok…

I encourage us all to be thankful to the developers… I came across Blynk years ago and marveled at it’s capabilities and robustness. I am an ol’ guy, and I have made the transition to Blynk 2.0. Yes it is some work to transition, but it works well! I would hate to see the developers get upset with us little guys, then move their focus to only industrial scale applications.

That said I am still pretty confused on how to use the example with Edgent.h I got it to work, but was confused on how and where to add my code in the matrix of files. With more experience, I am sure we will figure it out together.

1 Like

Blynk 2.0 has the ability to deploy a local server with its own control? I hope that the new blynk 2.0 initially offers a secure connection without a token in the url? Blynk IOT application is made for blynk 2.0?

Blynk have said that they may introduce a local server capability for Blynk 2.0 at some point in the future. They’ve also hinted that this may be a subscription feature. I guess that means that it would either need internet access, at least periodically, so that it can ensure that the subscription is still valid.
They’re also talked about the possibility of an on-premise server installation for commercial customers that require but, but I’s guess that this wold be $$$$

I assume you’re referring to the API?
The latest implementation of the API still requires the auth token in the URL.

Blynk IoT is the official name for what we refer to as Blynk 2.0

The Blynk IoT app can’t be used with Blynk Legacy, and the Blynk Legacy (v0.1) app can’t be used with the Blynk IoT cloud servers or the Blynk web console.

Pete.

The repository of the first version of blynk on github has been removed. I disagree with this. It was enough to make a banner about the end of support in the readme.
In this regard, the question is: would you be offended if I post the releases of the local server of the first version of blynk on the github and post a link to it in the blynk community?

I’ve already posted a link to my fork of the local server repository, which is here:

Pete.

4 Likes

Thanks for the link and for branching the repository. In Russia, a bear almost fell off a bicycle.

can you make a new announcement type topic so
everyone can know

Personally, I think that anyone who sets-up a local server now is going down the wrong route.

I forked the GitHub repository because I expected that the Blynk one would be deleted, and I wanted to have access to the readme,md file as it’s a great source of reference.
I added-in a few releases so that anyone who already runs a local server and has an SD card crash and didn’t have a backup could re-create their setup.

You can see by the number of local server related questions that are being asked at the moment that people are trying to set-up local servers and are struggling.
It’s really not worth the cost of the server hardware, and the time taken to get the server running correctly, and people forget about the maintenance that is needed to keep it running correctly.

That time and money would be better spent on migrating to Blynk 2.0 in most cases.

Pete.

3 Likes

Server Blynk 2.0 is written in java or in more productive and less expensive programming languages? I would switch to Blynk 2.0 if there was an encrypted connection to the app and devices.

Why does it matter?

You’re not happy with the security of Blynk 2.0?

Pete.

1 Like

2 Likes

hello @PeteKnight !

sorry if i ask a dumb qestion, but in the last months / years i was completely missing from this forum, so i do not have any updates about the status of old and the new blynk…

i have a motorhome, which i would like to automatise with blynk:

• i do not need remote access, only while i’m around the vehicle (wifi radius is enough)

• because we travel all over and camp in remote places, will not have permanent internet connection

• the whole project is for personal use

what solution do you reccomend?
also, in a very short resume, the legacy blynk server / app / lib etc, will be still usable, or they gave some deadline, or will delete from google play etc? why they did remove the local server from github?

thanks!
best regards,

Blynk legacy server sounds perfect for that use-case.

I think new sign-ups will be stopped for the legacy cloud servers at some point, and the apps deleted from the App/Play stores, but I don’t know when.
With Android it’s easy to install the .apk so if you use Android then you can probably carry on indefinitely. At some point updates to the Android OS will break the Blynk app, so you may need to run an old device just for Blynk.

It’s no longer supported. But, I forked it so it’s still available…

Pete.

2 Likes

thanks!

so basically, i have to backup the last apk, server and lib. i use older android phones anyway, i do not think the updates are a real threat in the near future. please do not delete the server :slight_smile:

1 Like

If Blynk asked me to then I would, but that’s not happened so far.
You could always download the releases and fork the repository for yourself :wink:

Pete.

If the local server fits you needs you are welcome to use Pete’s clone. We removed it to force the new users to go straight to Blynk 2.0 instead of 1.0 (that’s still happening a lot). So the next step is to close the registration in 1.0.

1 Like

blynk 1 has the ability to work completely offline, which is a very big advantage. i think there are a lots of users who still need to operate the blynk system at remote areas, or they can’t afford to stay online all the time.

until you do not offer the same functionality with the new version, they will not upgrade anyway… and already hundreds of users forked the server, so i really do not see the point why was removed.

One of my systems is in my RV. Uses a Blynk local server on a RPI 3 B+ with an additional USB WiFi dongle that connects to local internet when available. When connected to the internet I can tunnel in using my Blynk app and connect to the server. When no internet is available I connect directly to the RPI AP.

1 Like

thanks for the info!

maybe i will do something similar, the difference is that i have the small rpi, with the built in wifi (i don’t remember the name, maybe zero or something similar).

when i will begin to build the system i will open a dedicated topic and maybe you can help me with further details how to configure the rpi (i’m not really into linux).

thanks!