New version of Blynk Platform. Sign up for Beta

We’re all waiting :joy:

Time to cut your loss and move on. At this rate we’ll have Blynk 2.0 with no documentation delivered in 2050.

1 Like

Hey @ThatGuy_ZA, how are you?
@Dmitriy said end of January, so wait till 0h00 :joy:

“Good things come to those who wait“

1 Like

Like “Santa might bring that to you next year” 10 years in a row :wink:

1 Like

so yep,…looks like nope.

Anyone know how/where to delete Blynk account/profile?

Migrated my system to another platform.:grinning:

1 Like

Your Blynk cloud account will be deleted automatically after around 6 months of inactivity.
As far as your forum account is concerned, I could deactivate your account if you wish. This would leave all of your posts in place though.

Pete.

1 Like

And what is this platform? :roll_eyes:

For me…MQTT + NodeRed

1 Like

+home assistant

1 Like

Has Beta testing actually started? Has ANYONE been invited to test?

If not, then this is still a long way of from being released, and with no development on existing platform for almost 12 months since the announcement, I’m getting nervous that something is wrong . . .

cul
billd

Take a read of this post:

It seems to me that the Blynk team decided to take a different approach and the beta testing was effectively done in-house and with paying customers, otherwise the customers mentioned above would be running an alpha version.

I guess (and its only a guess) that the beta testing will be about testing the deployment of the public (free?) version of the system. Other comments by the Blynk team make me think that there will be some features that are accessible for free (or via an affordable payment/subscription) and others that are reserved for business customers. This might be because there is a degree of manual intervention required to set-up some features in the background, or because of the desire to create/maintain a two tier system that incentivises serious users to pay a bit (or a lot) more.

Personally, I’m fairly happy with the current version of Blynk.
I really only use Blynk as an app front-end to my Node-Red/MQTT logic engine, and I chose it because of the combination of ease of use, functionality reliability and low cost. Many of those reasons are still valid three years after making that choice.

Yes, it would be nice to have a desktop version, but not essential for me.
What would be more important for me are more tools to improve the app layout, with better granularity to place widgets, the ability to re-size widgets to be smaller and less clunky, and the ability to de-activate (grey-out) widgets in certain circumstances. From the comments above it seems that some of these are in the new version and some aren’t.

Probably the single most important thing for me would be Node-Red/MQTT integration with the new version, and as this was never an in-house piece of development it’s difficult to know if this would be encouraged/facilitated for the new version. There are workarounds to this, by using a device to act as a Blynk to MQTT bridge, but personally I think I’d seek-out a new app front-end rather than going down that route. The good thing about my approach is that it’s relatively easy to switch to a app front-end because none of my devices use Blynk specific code so it would just be a case of re-configuring my Node-Red configuration. It would even be possible to run two systems in parallel to a certain extent.

I think that those ‘old’ power users who wanted more from the app have probably already migrated to something else that was more suited to their particular needs. The rest of us are people who would probably have been happy carrying-on with Blynk as it was, but the green grass on the other side of the fence (in the form of the promised Blynk 2.0) has made people disillusioned with the current version.

Pete.

6 Likes

Dear Pete,
I totally agree with you Pete.
They should put Blynk version 1 in the public domain and give us the source codes.
Many of us in this community are able to make changes of the platform and the App .

I don’t think that would be a good economic model.

It would mean that Blynk would kiss goodbye to any future revenue from V1.0 energy sales, and the existing cloud servers would need to be decommissioned. It would also mean that potential Blynk 2.0 clients may choose to go with the open source V1.0 system, and of course lots of people would start rebranding and re-selling v1.x versions which would be competing with Blynk 2.0

Pete.

3 Likes

I’m very disappointed !
We will never get the new platform and we will never be able to evolve the smartphone blynk app .
Everything we have suggested is in the trash, they are using our suggestions and ideas for the new platform.

True, but don’t forget that Blynk is a business and we currently get a lot of functionality for almost nothing.

Pete.

1 Like

Back in May we made an announcement cause we wanted to share with you what is upcoming. We just started getting positive feedback from early commercial customer, we showed a demo to some big guys and all them liked what they saw very much. We were, and still are, eager to deliver you our latest developments.

Why still delay? Well, there is a lot of work to do to modify something that is working for a specific customer flexible enough for a general use. And there is number of things you have to do to support public usage itself, like billing, themes, documentation, etc. Our underestimation of these efforts is part of the reason. But the bigger part is that we keep being busy delivering the demands from our commercial clients. For example, this month we again didn’t get to work on public blynk 2.0 cause we were working on native integration with popular voice assistants, improving the search-for-anything-in-one-place system and adding new types of conditions in automation system.

I’m not sure many people understand the importance of us working on these incoming requests from commercial customers.

You may like it or not, but the truth is that the pivotal part of the company income comes from commercial customers. Unfortunately, energy sales cover a fraction of our expenses and would never cover developing big new features, not to talk about refactoring the whole platform.

So, when someone comes to us saying, hey, I’d like to use blynk for my product, but it lacks this feature, we evaluate the efforts, the ability to reuse by others, including your votes and requests, and try to negotiate a win-win deal for that someone to sponsor the development of the feature. Basically, all recent features of Blynk 1.0 (like SuperChart or Reports) were made possible to develop this way.

The public launch of the new platform is inevitable.

Meanwhile, we assure you again that the existing platform is being supported. We make sure that all the widgets that you spent your money on are working, the app is working fine on the new version of operating systems, the server is up and running, etc.

7 Likes

we could take inspiration from the nextion technique to create a beautiful HUD on Blynk app

Video_2020-02-26_114402

2020-02-26_121131

Everything you have said, including:

is 100% understandable. Most users understand this and have no problem with your focus on your major commercial partners . . . however it is the complete lack of communication since the initial announcement that is causing ongoing frustration.

Plans change, timelines change, unforeseen circumstances arise . . . that’s life . . . but please keep us informed, with meaning, and realistic, updates.

thnx
billd

7 Likes