My BBQ cooking monitor - ESP8266 dual K-probe via MAX31855 & OLED display

Hi Dave, I just found your post, I have been trying to figure out on the best parts to use for a long time now and I am still a little bit confused. Your setup looks awesome, but I just have one doubt: for the probes, were you able to find the ones that have the sharp tip?.. I am guessing those are the best ones to use with food. Thank you!

yeah mate, its the non-sharp “1.5mm k probe” on eBay.

if you can’t get that into your raw meat, just use a normal skewer to start a hole, then the 1.5mm probe will fit in fine!

(i don’t put the food probe in until the meat has started to cook anyways…)

Hi Dave,
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I highly appreciate it.

Here is my story:

I have a bbguru temperature controller and the temperature takes forever to read a “stable” temp, compared to my Thermopro bbq Thermometer that is pretty fast and accurate. So, I was wondering were the difference relied, and from my POV, it seems it’s the thermocouple… The bbqguru uses K-Type and the other one uses Platinum RTD (or PT100)… I am highly OCD and want my project to be “perfect” or at least as good as I can so I am using these materials:

Anyways, I just wanted to give you the insight. In case you want to play around with something like this in the future.

@Dave1829 im totally new to this forum and i saw your post about an OTA update web interface from 2 years ago. can you help me out? (pm)

Just post your question/s in the correct forum like normal. It’s as easy as that!

32 posts were split to a new topic: Various questions using BBQ cooking monitor

@ caldersm,
I’m a bit confused by your work- It looks to me like you are using 3 pins for communication which is a bit different than Dave’s example. I’m using a similar board to yours and having a bit of trouble sorting out pin assignments etc.

In your example,you are calling MAX31856 (I understand that this is a different thermocouple board) and the call requires 4 parameters.

This is the actual ESP8266 board that I’m using. And for clarity, I do have the MAX31855 thermocouple board

How much Blynk Energy does this use?

i have no idea. i use local server.

2 Likes

I mean the Blynk phone app. each widget on the app takes energy to use, I was just wondering
how much energy it takes to run the dual probe monitor on the phone app? Thanks

When using a local server, you assign yourself the amount of energy you have. So, what the project energy costs isn’t something that is typically looked at by a local server user.

If you scan the QR code it will tell you how much it will cost. I did this, and it says it cost 6,100 Energy.

3 Likes

Are these numbers in the code, deg in celcius the offset is, or is it a time function?
int heatWarningOffset = 12;
int foodWarningOffset = 4;

I think the comments in the code are fairly self explanatory…

int heatWarningOffset = 12; //this is how much below the full warning temp the "pre" warning temp is.
int foodWarningOffset = 4; //this is how much below the full warning temp the "pre" warning temp is.

Pete.

yeah, it’s in Celsius - I only use the metric system…

1 Like

as an aside - i actually use this as my wood heater monitor and change the warning presets to notify me when the fire is getting too hot and i need to close the air inlet down…

i have one probe inside the fire box and the other sitting on top of the outer box.

plus have added a fan controller that turns the blower on and off at presets temps.

so it is fairly versatile :wink:

1 Like

Would anyone share there code, that uses the MAX31865 Adafruit boards?

Hi,
Thanks for the very interesting example!
I’m trying to get it to work, but while compiling, I’m hving the following error. I hope you can help me:

class ArduinoOTAMdnsClass<WiFiServer, WiFiClient, WiFiUDP>’ has no member named ‘setHostname’.
I’ve installed the ArduinoOta v1.0.3, but maybe it should be another lib or another version.

If I comment outt the ArduinoOTA calls in the code, I get an error compling
error: redefinition of ‘class BlynkTimer’
#define SimpleTimer BlynkTimer
The Blynk v.0.6.1 and
SimpleTimer v1.0.0 and Time v1.6.0

I’m sorry for the questions, although I’ve done more Arduino projects, this seems to be a new area for me :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Willem-Jan

What versions of the Arduino ESP Core and Blynk library do you have installed?

Pete.

Thanks.

It is a new installation, so no previous projects on this computer.
ESP8266 libs:
Arduino Uno Dev v0.0.3
Acrobotic SSD1306 v1.0.1
Adafruit ESP8266 V1.0.0
Adafruit IO Arduino v3.4.0
Adafruit MQTT v1.0.3
Allthingstalk Wifi SDK v2.1.0
ArduinoESPAT v1.0.2
ArduinoOTA v1.0.3
and
Blynk V0.6.1