BLYNK
HOME       📲 GETTING STARTED       📗 DOCS       ❓HELP CENTER       👉 SKETCH BUILDER

My BBQ cooking monitor - ESP8266 dual K-probe via MAX31855 & OLED display

Hey mate, how’d you go? I’m using the 1.3 screen OK with a verrry similar project & code , but might have made some tweeks…

Lmk.

hi can someone pls help me, I’ve uploaded the code and have it connected to WiFi however that’s all i get. the oled and temp probs work with other sketches, I’m using a wemos d1 mini. the serial monitor only displays

Cooking heat & food temp MONITOR
File name: C:\Users\the rest of the file name

Thanks

Yeah you might need to check the libraries version currency and stuff like that… I won’t be able to check my one for a few days, so won’t be able to confirm the code is still good.

i started from scratch and installed all libraries again but no change, If you could cheek when you have a chance that would be greatly appreciated. I cant wait to get this going.

Thanks

Have you modified the code with your WiFi etc?

Did you buy already the beef? :yum:

yes i modified the code with my wifi details and blynk key… and yep i have brisket and ribs for the weekend

Maybe you can post your code?

the only part of the code i changed was

const char* ssid = “MY SSID”;
const char* password = “MY PASSWORD”;
char authBlynk[] = “MY BLYNK”;

otherwise it was a direct copy and paste
there wern’t to many options for the libraries i had to get from the net so i assume i have the right ones ie SimpleTimer.h, MAX31855.h, TimeLib.h, RunningMedian.h. but if somone was willing to upload there working libraries ill give that a shot

Code is for local server only,

If you are not running local server - read the whole thread… Look for “blynk cloud”

Can’t believe I missed that, I must have went through the code 50 times, anyways I changed it to work with the cloud and all is working. Turns out in my rush to make this I bought the max6675 not the one described, hopefully I can get it to work with these otherwise I’ll get the right one.
Thank you very much for your help

super!

yes, the MAX type sensor libraries are very close… you should be able to work around any issues by substituting the proper library… i think the variable declarations are very similar…

Hi Dave, I just found your post, I have been trying to figure out on the best parts to use for a long time now and I am still a little bit confused. Your setup looks awesome, but I just have one doubt: for the probes, were you able to find the ones that have the sharp tip?.. I am guessing those are the best ones to use with food. Thank you!

yeah mate, its the non-sharp “1.5mm k probe” on eBay.

if you can’t get that into your raw meat, just use a normal skewer to start a hole, then the 1.5mm probe will fit in fine!

(i don’t put the food probe in until the meat has started to cook anyways…)

Hi Dave,
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I highly appreciate it.

Here is my story:

I have a bbguru temperature controller and the temperature takes forever to read a “stable” temp, compared to my Thermopro bbq Thermometer that is pretty fast and accurate. So, I was wondering were the difference relied, and from my POV, it seems it’s the thermocouple… The bbqguru uses K-Type and the other one uses Platinum RTD (or PT100)… I am highly OCD and want my project to be “perfect” or at least as good as I can so I am using these materials:

Anyways, I just wanted to give you the insight. In case you want to play around with something like this in the future.

@Dave1829 im totally new to this forum and i saw your post about an OTA update web interface from 2 years ago. can you help me out? (pm)

Just post your question/s in the correct forum like normal. It’s as easy as that!

split this topic #83

32 posts were split to a new topic: Various questions using BBQ cooking monitor

@ caldersm,
I’m a bit confused by your work- It looks to me like you are using 3 pins for communication which is a bit different than Dave’s example. I’m using a similar board to yours and having a bit of trouble sorting out pin assignments etc.

In your example,you are calling MAX31856 (I understand that this is a different thermocouple board) and the call requires 4 parameters.

This is the actual ESP8266 board that I’m using. And for clarity, I do have the MAX31855 thermocouple board