MEGA and Wifi board

Hello All,
I am using a MEGA and DFRobot wifi board that comes with its own library.
#include <DFRobot_WiFi_IoT_Module.h>
https://www.dfrobot.com/product-2180.html

I tested the wifi board individually and connected to wifi no problem. However, it will drop out when trying to connect to Blynk?

Went to example.blynk.cc for a template.
Question: Do I have to use the following to get it to work?
#include <ESP8266_Lib.h> // the wifi library is #include <DFRobot_WiFi_IoT_Module.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleShieldEsp8266.h> // using #include <BlynkSimpleWifi.h>

Another question,
Blynk.begin(auth, wifi, ssid, pass);
// You can also specify server:
//Blynk.begin(auth, wifi, ssid, pass, ā€œblynk.cloudā€, 80); // Should I be using this for new Blynk app?

Thanks.

Normally, when you use an Uno/Mega with Blynk youā€™ll use an ESP-01 running factory ā€œATā€ firmware to act as a WiFi modem.
The BlynkSimpleShieldEsp8266 library acts as a wrapper, and converts commands and communication data into AT commands that the ESP-01ā€™s AT firmware can understand.

In reality, this turns a very powerful and versatile ESP8266 chip (which is much more powerful that the Mega) into a dumb modem.

I doubt very much whether the DFRobot board you are using can act as a replacement for the ESP-01 in this scenario.

What is your project actually about?
Do you have the option to use different hardware?
Is there a reason that the Mega is being used?

Pete.

Hello Pete,
Thanks again.
I have an existing system which uses a MEGA and the DFRobot wifi to send data to Thingspeak.
And I have another system for treatment (3 pumps and 3 buttons) on Blynk.
Idea is to combine the second system into 1 and able to use Blynk to control the pumps.
The reason MEGA is used because I have a few more sensors connected to it. and 1 LCD and 1 SD card module.

I have another MEGA with built in Wifi (to eliminate the DFRobot wifi module?). Would you think it will work?
https://www.jaycar.com.au/mega-with-wi-fi/p/XC4421?pos=1&queryId=809c1099479a323f2b9af2fe52e41109&sort=relevance

Iā€™d forget the Mega altogether and use an ESP32 if I were you.

Pete.

1 Like

itā€™s impressive the number of people who are fooled with this MEGA :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I wonder how many people are still using a mobile phone from thirteen and a half years ago and still think its the best solution?

Pete.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

LOL on the MEGA. I suppose either itā€™s obsolete or Iā€™m a dinosaur?

Maybe yes to both? :rofl:

Itā€™s better to use a board that has built-in WiFi connectivity and more memory and processing power than youā€™re likely to need - especially when theyā€™re cheaper.

They also allow you to do things like Over The Air updates, using Arduino OTA or Blynk.Air.

Pete.

I need to look into ESP32 if it has enough pins for all the sensors I currently have at the ā€˜DINOā€™?

I suppose I can still run them separately.

Iā€™m not sure what that means, but it sounds like a poor strategy.

Pete.

Yeah I know! Hence Iā€™m trying to combine two into one but MEGA DINO with this Wifi boardā€¦A bit of a challenge I suppose
I am asking DFRobot if they know how this wifi can connect to Blynk?
Thanks.

Donā€™t waste your time with uno Dino.
Buy an ESP32 for less than $10 :joy:

You probably are right. I wonder if the ESP32 could support all my sensors and extraā€¦

Thatā€™s why I provided you with the link to details of the ESP32

Pete.

ESP32 support more sensors than you need

Hello Pete
I think the sensors, buttons, and SD card could be fitted on the ESP32.

Quick questions to pick your brain if you donā€™t mind.

1. I have 4 6V DC pumps powered by external 9V battery connected to an expansion board to drive the motors. The ESP32 is 3.3V to 5V. How do I connect them to the ESP32? One actually on a L298N.

2. I have a 20x4 LCD on I2C. Would the ESP32 have enough power for it? If not, any recommendation?

3. I have a RTC module on my current setup. With the ESP32 RTC GPIO support, can I leave this module out? Or I misread the specs of the ESP32?

Newbie from DINO. Thanks.

Most peripherals are able to work with 3.3v or 5v logic level signals, so Iā€™d guess that the L298N will be okay, but it depends on how your specific motor driver board has been implemented.
Hopefully you arenā€™t driving your 5v motors directly from your Arduino pins? Itā€™s very bad practice if you are.
You should be using relays or a transistor to power your motors and using the logic level of the Arduino pins to trigger these relays or transistors.
Once again, most relay boards will work with either 3.3 or 5v logic levels.

In the very rare cases where 5v logic levels are needed, a logic level shifter like this can be used.

This one is a 4-channel shifter and is very small. The only time Iā€™ve needed to use one of these is when using an RFID reader.

It depends what you mean by Power.
Hopefully you would be supplying the actual Vcc power to the display directly from whatever power source you are using to power your ESP32. Once again, this type of display works fine with 3.3 or 5v logic level signalling.

It depends what the RTC is used for.
If you want the device to know what the current data and time is when its powered-up, without the need to fetch that information from either the Blynk server or an NTP server then you should stick with the external RTC module.

Pete.

Forgive this DINO newbie here. :joy: :wink:

I am using a expansion shield. The 3 peristaltic pumps (Input Voltage: 5V-6V) are connected to digital pins. A DC 5.9V motor (from old CDRom drive) on L298N on external 6V battery connected to it.
https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1009.html
https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1698.html

LCD @ If it didnā€™t power up by ESP32, I shall try the logic level signalling.

RTC @ I used it to record the data on my SD card module.

What is your suggestion to wire these up to an ESP32? Would breadboard possible? or expansion shield?

Thanks

I donā€™t really understand any of your answers/questions.

Pete.