Java 10 Local Server - RPi problems

Hi mates, I’m struggling with my ooooold Rpi 1 model B+ with the java 10 installation.
At the moment my Orange Pi will remain the java 8 stuff.
Can somebody show me the answer of the console when you click “java -version”, please?

Here’s the one, @Gunner posted here: Java 10 Local Server - RPi problems

Ups, my bad… thanks @marvin7!
Definitely I’m doing something wrong…:sweat_smile:

Hi @marvin7,@Gunner,
Could you please be so kind to have a look and advise? This is the my console:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install ./bellsoft-jdk10.0.1-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'bellsoft-java10' instead of './bellsoft-jdk10.0.1-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.deb'
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  bellsoft-java10
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/220 MB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 /home/pi/bellsoft-jdk10.0.1-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.deb bellsoft-java10 armhf 10.0.1 [220 MB]
Selecting previously unselected package bellsoft-java10.
(Reading database ... 124722 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../bellsoft-jdk10.0.1-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.deb ...
Unpacking bellsoft-java10 (10.0.1) ...
Setting up bellsoft-java10 (10.0.1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/appletviewer to provide /usr/bin/appletviewer (appletviewer) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jar to provide /usr/bin/jar (jar) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/java to provide /usr/bin/java (java) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/javadoc to provide /usr/bin/javadoc (javadoc) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/javap to provide /usr/bin/javap (javap) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jconsole to provide /usr/bin/jconsole (jconsole) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jdeprscan to provide /usr/bin/jdeprscan (jdeprscan) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jhsdb to provide /usr/bin/jhsdb (jhsdb) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jinfo to provide /usr/bin/jinfo (jinfo) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jlink to provide /usr/bin/jlink (jlink) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jmod to provide /usr/bin/jmod (jmod) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jrunscript to provide /usr/bin/jrunscript (jrunscript) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jstack to provide /usr/bin/jstack (jstack) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jstatd to provide /usr/bin/jstatd (jstatd) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/orbd to provide /usr/bin/orbd (orbd) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/rmid to provide /usr/bin/rmid (rmid) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/schemagen to provide /usr/bin/schemagen (schemagen) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/servertool to provide /usr/bin/servertool (servertool) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/unpack200 to provide /usr/bin/unpack200 (unpack200) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/wsimport to provide /usr/bin/wsimport (wsimport) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/idlj to provide /usr/bin/idlj (idlj) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jarsigner to provide /usr/bin/jarsigner (jarsigner) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/javac to provide /usr/bin/javac (javac) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jcmd to provide /usr/bin/jcmd (jcmd) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jdb to provide /usr/bin/jdb (jdb) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jdeps to provide /usr/bin/jdeps (jdeps) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jimage to provide /usr/bin/jimage (jimage) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jjs to provide /usr/bin/jjs (jjs) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jmap to provide /usr/bin/jmap (jmap) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jps to provide /usr/bin/jps (jps) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jshell to provide /usr/bin/jshell (jshell) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/jstat to provide /usr/bin/jstat (jstat) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/keytool to provide /usr/bin/keytool (keytool) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/pack200 to provide /usr/bin/pack200 (pack200) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/rmic to provide /usr/bin/rmic (rmic) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/rmiregistry to provide /usr/bin/rmiregistry (rmiregistry) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/serialver to provide /usr/bin/serialver (serialver) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/tnameserv to provide /usr/bin/tnameserv (tnameserv) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/wsgen to provide /usr/bin/wsgen (wsgen) in auto mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10-bellsoft-arm32-vfp-hflt/bin/xjc to provide /usr/bin/xjc (xjc) in auto mode
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ java -jar server-0.36.0.jar -dataFolder /home/pi/Blynk &
[1] 1254
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ java -version
[1]+  Illegal instruction     java -jar server-0.36.0.jar -dataFolder /home/pi/Blynk
Illegal instruction
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ java --version
Illegal instruction

Thanks in advance!!

can you do:

which java

and post the output?

Yes, for sure!!

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ which java
/usr/bin/java

Thanks @Lichtsignaal!

I think something is screwed up with your java versions., try this from the dir where you downloaded the deb

sudo dpkg --force-all -i ./bellsoft-jre10.0.1-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.deb

It does something but at the end the result is the same:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo dpkg --force-all -i ./bellsoft-jre10.0.1-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.deb
Selecting previously unselected package bellsoft-java10-runtime.
(Reading database ... 125404 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../bellsoft-jre10.0.1-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt.deb ...
Unpacking bellsoft-java10-runtime (10.0.1) ...
Setting up bellsoft-java10-runtime (10.0.1) ...
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ java -jar server-0.36.0.jar -dataFolder /home/pi/Blynk &
[1] 1410
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ which java
/usr/bin/java
[1]+  Illegal instruction     java -jar server-0.36.0.jar -dataFolder /home/pi/Blynk
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ 

:cold_sweat:

Ok, I think it’s a 32b / 64b issue now. That would only explain that in both commands it goes wrong.

Mmmm…To be honest I have no idea about it…Linux is out of my control…
The best I can do is to stay with Java 8 at the moment…
Many thanks for your time @Lichtsignaal, much appreciated!!

Kind regards!

Np, I’m now quite sure it has to do with 32bit vs 64bit java runtimes…

Anyway, I can always have a look using teamviewer of direct SSH access to your Pi. Just let me know :slight_smile:

My Pi is yours…:blush:
Let me know by PM what you need to access here and I’ll do my best
Thanks!!!

For shts and giggles: Liberica doesn’t work on Pi B+ CPU’s (e.g. ARMv6). It only works on v7 and higher :slight_smile:

to akurat zakończyło się raczej jako no no no … :slight_smile:

I’m just going to wait for java8 fix.

According to this comment on @scargill’s blog, it is possible to get email working with Java10.

Pete.

2 Likes

@PeteKnight Thanks for pointing it out. I might look into that option on my Java10 test server. Meanwhile I shall enjoy NOT being “stubbornly forced” away from server-0.36.1-java8.jar :stuck_out_tongue: (which I am currently running). It always amazes me how some demand so much from a “free” service :wink:

EDIT - I don’t see anything special about the install script, I already did all the same stuff very easily “manually” so to speak… so if email works for the user (and it is not clarified that it does work), then I don’t see how he did it.

I suspect it might have to do with the certificates method?? I used openssl, but might eventually look into the other options… but not critical as Java8 works just fine.

2 Likes

@Gunner have you noticed slightly higher latency since moving to Java 10?

I’ve rolled back my Pi 2 to Java 8 because there was often a noticeable delay between the button press and when my lights came on. All seems fine with 0.36.1 running on Java 8 now…

Can’t say that I noticed any latency issues and I was running NodeJS and Python clients as well… but then I was using the RPi3.

But same as you, I am just sticking with Java8 for my main server.