Issue with Terminal

Came up with a solution! I added a TERMINAL REFRESH button :grin:
I see there is a PAGES Widget, not sure how it works at this stage. Maybe something to consider.

2 Likes

So, just to clarify for the benefit of others, are you saying that you’ve added a button which triggers code which will clear the existing contents of the terminal widget, and re-send the data so that it can be re-displayed?

Pete.

Quite correct Pete.

(what is the symbol called to quote a snippet of code?) I will then clarify

If you mean triple backticks, they look like this…
```

Pete.

Setup Terminal Widget

//...........................................................................................................................
//Widget Definitions
//...........................................................................................................................
WidgetTerminal terminal(V43);

Code to refresh the Terminal.

// TERMINAL_REFRESH_BUTTON 
BLYNK_WRITE(V42){ 

if (param.asInt() == 1) Terminal_Refresh ();

}

Code for the Terminal

//Blynk Terminal
void Terminal_Refresh () {

terminal.clear();

//your Terminal code here

terminal.flush();
}
1 Like

But this is not a solution to the problem.
The terminal does not save information.
Store it in Arduino and send it every time?
Personally, I kept logs there.
I did not find a replacement for the terminal.
And without this feature, it makes no sense to upgrade to the new version of Blynk.
Maybe someone solved this problem?

That feature has not been added yet.

I don’t know if it’s on Blynk’s timeline, but with the current situation in the Ukraine I image that the timeline will be changed to focus on the essential needs of white label customers for the immediate future.

Except that Blynk Legacy is no longer supported and will be decommissioned at some point.

Pete.

It remains to be hoped that this does not happen before the functionality of the terminal will work.

I don’t know if that’s the plan or not.
However, as Blynk is a business then their priority is going to be meeting the needs of the White Label customers, followed by the Pro customers etc.

If some unforeseen event took-out the Legacy cloud servers then it would be a business decision as to how much time and effort would be allocated to resolving that problem, and as the plan is to de-commission them anyway it may simply accelerate that process.

Far better to migrate to the current platform, where Blynk’s resources are being focussed, and live with minor UI issues in my opinion.
I guess it depends on how reliant you are on your current Legacy system.

Pete.

Of course, thanks for your help, but in my case, the functionality of the terminal is critical.
I did not find an alternative to Blynk.
So can only hope, what developers will remember about the terminal or suggest a replacement for it

Just found this thread as I have the same problem migrating to Blynk 2.0. I use the terminal widget as a logging screen - displaying error messages and other status info mostly while my app screen is closed, so the messages get lost. The same happens on the web dashboard. But it is curious that the datastream appears to retain the data, as connecting an LCD widget to the same datastream after the messages have been sent displays the last 2 messages, and a display widget displays the last message. It seems that the terminal widget is unable to retrieve the data from the new server, whereas it clearly did so on the legacy server. If I have to store a linked list of logging messages and a “show notifications button” this is going to be very cumbersome and memory hogging.

You could look at writing the data to Events and making it visible on the timeline.

Pete.

Thanks for a quick reply (during the footie final!!!) - I’ll take a look at Events.

Not interested now that England are out!

Pete.

1 Like

I have moved all logging and reporting to events - a much better way than terminal. Thanks for the pointer.

1 Like

Well done, and glad you like that solution.

I do think that Terminal has its place, especially if you re-direct your serial output to it, but using a variety of different Events with different types (Critical, Info etc) is a good solution for some situations.

It would be nice if you could log an event and define it’s type at the same time though, rather than having to use different events for this.

Pete.