Iphone+macmini+arduinouno = no connection

when i try to run .blynk-ser.sh
I keep getting permissions denied

Peters-Mac-mini-i7:scripts Dalglish$ cd ~/Documents/Arduino/libraries/blynk-library-0.3.1/scripts/
Peters-Mac-mini-i7:scripts Dalglish$ ls
README.md blynk blynk-ser.bat blynk-ser.sh blynk_ctrl.py certs com2tcp.exe gateway.py
Peters-Mac-mini-i7:scripts Dalglish$ ./blynk-ser.sh
-bash: ./blynk-ser.sh: Permission denied

should i move to a different place or re-install?

You need just to run it with “sudo”

sudo ./blynk-ser.sh

Or grant right for script execution to yourself.

in response - thanks for your help

Peters-Mac-mini-i7:~ Dalglish$ cd ~/Documents/Arduino/libraries/blynk-library-0.3.1/scripts
Peters-Mac-mini-i7:scripts Dalglish$ sudo ./blynk-ser.sh
Password:
sudo: ./blynk-ser.sh: command not found
Peters-Mac-mini-i7:scripts Dalglish$

Please try “sudo blynk-ser.sh” maybe it will help.

Peters-Mac-mini-i7:scripts Dalglish$ sudo blynk-ser.sh
Password:
sudo: blynk-ser.sh: command not found

Ok let’s try another option. When you are in scripts folder execute :

chmod 777 blynk-ser.sh
./blynk-ser.sh

Peters-Mac-mini-i7:scripts Dalglish$ chmod 777 blynk-ser.sh
Peters-Mac-mini-i7:scripts Dalglish$ ./blynk-ser.sh
[ Press Ctrl+C to exit ]
This script uses socat utility, but could not find it.

Try installing it using this guide: http://www.xappsoftware.com/wordpress/2013/10/10/how-to-run-socat-on-mac-os-x/

This is correct. Please follow instructions.

@Dmitriy you might want to mention socat in your online guides, sketches and instructables.

1 Like

I placed download into the same ‘scripts’ folder

Peters-Mac-mini-i7:scripts Dalglish$ socat-2.0.0-b9.tar.gz
-bash: socat-2.0.0-b9.tar.gz: command not found

You need to untar (unzip) the file. Is 7z.zip or similar available for those Apple type devices?

Peters-Mac-mini-i7:scripts Dalglish$ cd socat-2.0.0-b9
Peters-Mac-mini-i7:socat-2.0.0-b9 Dalglish$

then what do i run?

Hope you son appreciates all you are trying to do for him.

You might need to chmod 777 socat but then you are back to the original Blynk script. Because you have already done the chmod on the script it is just:

./blynk-ser.sh

Don’t forget the leading fullstop.

i see… i run

./configure
make
su
make install

Peters-Mac-mini-i7:socat-2.0.0-b9 Dalglish$ ./configure
checking which defines needed for makedepend…
checking for a BSD-compatible install… /usr/bin/install -c
checking for gcc… gcc
checking whether the C compiler works… no
configure: error: in /Users/Dalglish/Documents/Arduino/libraries/blynk-library-0.3.1/scripts/socat-2.0.0-b9': configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables Seeconfig.log’ for more details
Peters-Mac-mini-i7:socat-2.0.0-b9 Dalglish$ make
xcode-select: note: no developer tools were found at ‘/Applications/Xcode.app’, requesting install. Choose an option in the dialog to download the command line developer tools.
Peters-Mac-mini-i7:socat-2.0.0-b9 Dalglish$ su
Password:
su: Sorry
Peters-Mac-mini-i7:socat-2.0.0-b9 Dalglish$

it asks me to download developer tools! … I this would really slow down my mac… Xcode made it run really slow in the past.

It’s the only way to get it working, besides buying an ethernet shield or wifi shield for your Arduino, which is ultimately a better idea in any case :slight_smile:

I bought the ethernet shield as described earlier in my thread but that failed to work on the mac. I was instructed to follow usb route.:confused:

Isn’t there a socat binary for the ‘Mac’ without having to compile it manually?

I think I missed that somewhere along the lines. I have a cheap ethernet shield and it works fine. I personally think it’s better to put effort in getting ethernet to work than USB, because via USB it’s pretty limited as to what you can do.

@Costas no unfortunately not, because of the system integration.

@Lichtsignaal that must by why I have never touched an Apple product in my long life :smile:

@skipzone users obviously want to use the products they have to hand but Blynk will tell you themselves that USB and Ethernet are rubbish compared with the real Blynk.

For me it has to be the Wemos D1 Mini at $4. Works like a dream.
I started with USB and as I have a real computer (Windows PC) it was quite straightforward. Even USB with the Pi is easy enough. Then I did Arduino with ESP, reasonably good. Then ESP-12E standalone, very good but Wemos is the best I have found so far.

I think some of the Blynk guys make it look and sound easier than it is as they are real pros but for many people there is a steep learning curve whichever hardware you go with.

True enough, but I got it up and running on my very old (2010 …) Macbook in a matter of minutes, so it’s definitely possible. I do however have a technical background in IT so I guess that is an advantage.

I had some moments in time where I wanted to give up, but I got it working straight in he end. Ethernet and Wifi are both very powerful connection methods.

Furthermore I do concur that Wifi has the best potential for the future. It will be the best solution for the majority of situations.