HM-10 vs ESP8266

Just a simple question, few weeks ago I was trying to make a control for a LED strip with a menu, which lets me choose between different strip modes, long story short I found a video with a code that was pretty similar to mine, problem is I think HM-10 is very slow cuz I often get a “packet too big” in the serial monitor, so I was wondering if using an ESP8266 Wi-Fi module will fix this speed issue, also I will install a local server to reduce latency.

You’l get far better results with a WiFi connection, but I’d avoid the temptation to use an Uno/Mega with an ESP-01 as a WiFi modem.
Far better to use a NodeMCU or Wemos D1 Mini as a WiFi enabled replacement for the Uno/Mega.

Unless you have an especially poor internet connection then latency shouldn’t be an issue, unless you’re approaching the project from the wrong angle.

Pete.

1 Like

I was really busy with homework and school, thanks for your answer, what would be the main reason to avoid an UNO and the Wi-Fi module? I considered MCU but since it works with 3.5-3.3 V I don’t know if that would be a problem, I’m controlling a 12 V strip with the UNO and 5 V signal works fine but I don’t know if less would cause problems

Read the specifications of the LED strip to find out what logic level voltage range it works with.

If it needs 5v logic level then you can easily use a level shifter. Read the “GPIO Voltages - 3.3 or 5 volts?” section of this topic to learn more:

Pete.

Thanks for answering, I’ll consider the MCU then