Getting started; Confirming non-corrupted IDE and Installing Blynk Libraries into proper location

I’m trying to run the ESP8266 the program near the bottom of this link [Solved] Arduino nano but the compiler chokes because it can’t find the library files. I put them in the sketchbook folder just like the “How to install Blynk Library” tutorial says. WTF ?

Also… the example program in “Getting Started” includes files that aren’t even in the Blynk Release v0.48 libraries (eg… ESP8266WiFi.h).
Frustration level - high !!!

Never had this much trouble working with Arduino before.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi,

as fas as I know libraries have to be in the libraries folder: C:\Users\Thomas\Documents\Arduino\libraries
each library has its own folder

Another way is to install the Blynk library via the Arduino IDE library manager.

Yes, I put the library files in C:\Users\Myname\Documents\Arduino\libraries but it’s not finding them.
I also tried doing it using the IDE library manager but it didn’t like the “Blynk_Release_v0.4.8.zip” file.

Manual install is still best… I used some visual aid for something similar… look at them here.

That’s because you have never had access to anything as powerful as Blynk.

Blynk is not a single library, it’s several, and that is why they MUST be installed manually. Not via the Arduino IDE, clearly documented and foolproof.

All the files you need ARE present. You are either looking at old sketches that used old libraries or you are selecting the wrong boards in the IDE.

What hardware do you actually have? Are you trying ESP standalone or ESP as shield?

So I deleted the old library files, got the folders from the ZIP file then did the manual install as posted by Gunner. The compiler is still not seeing the library files.

C:\Users\Alex\Documents\Arduino\ESP8266_Test\ESP8266_Test.ino:2:25: fatal error: ESP8266_Lib.h: No such file or directory

#include <ESP8266_Lib.h>
^
compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling.

That library is available if you select an “Arduino” board.
It is not available if you select an ESP.

What are you trying to do?

I’m using the ESP8266 on an ESP-01 adapter board (power supply, level conversion), wired to a Nano, using the RX and TX lines. IDE configured for the Nano.

The compiler is choking at not seeing the libraries so the hardware is irrelevant at this point.

I’m not a complete noob… been progamming micros in assembler since the 8085, 8051, 6805, 68HC11, 9S12, PICs, Atmegas. I’m sure it’s a simple oversight but I’ve got a beanache trying to find out what the problem is so I resorted to reaching out. :wink:

It is totally relevant as libraries are for SPECIFC hardware, that’s something you should have learnt very early on when using the Arduino IDE. Nothing to do with Blynk.

1 Like

Well as far as I can tell the hardware is configured correctly so where do we go from here ?

@radeohedca switch on verbose in the compiler and compile this. If if fails to compile we can be 95% sure you messed up the library installation.

#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial  /* Comment this out to disable prints and save space */

#include <ESP8266_Lib.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleShieldEsp8266.h>

char auth[] = "YourAuthToken";
char ssid[] = "YourNetworkName";
char pass[] = "YourPassword";

// Hardware Serial on Mega, Leonardo, Micro...
//#define EspSerial Serial1

// or Software Serial on Uno, Nano...
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial EspSerial(2, 3); // RX, TX

#define ESP8266_BAUD 9600 // Your ESP8266 baud rate:

ESP8266 wifi(&EspSerial);

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600); // Debug console
  delay(10);
  EspSerial.begin(ESP8266_BAUD); // Set ESP8266 baud rate
  delay(10);

Blynk.begin(auth, wifi, ssid, pass);
}

void loop()
{
  Blynk.run();
}

I have the Nano selected for the board. Didn’t even know (nor see) ESP as a board option in the IDE.

You will not see it without adding the board but as you are going with the nightmare connection method of ESP as a lowly shield then you can forget that for now.

You may need this for future reference.

http://help.blynk.cc/how-to-connect-different-hardware-with-blynk/arduino/esp8266-with-at-firmware

And since you are referancing an old topic… perhaps you can post your sketch here so we can see if you are using the wrong libraries or not for your configuration…

Format any posted code as per…

Blynk - FTFC

@radeohedca,

It would be better if you change the Baud_rate to 9600 for the Nano with the ESP.
For sure the ESP should be at 9600 also…

1 Like

Lol… So why is the “lowly” shield considered the nightmare connection method ? Seems like a quick way to get on with prototyping, no ?

Here’s that the verbose output looks like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -built-in-libraries "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Users\Hugh\Documents\Arduino\libraries\libraries" -fqbn=arduino:avr:nano:cpu=atmega328 -ide-version=10606 -build-path "C:\Users\Hugh\AppData\Local\Temp\buildacc55cd646deb3e3dea3d3afc01e0653.tmp" -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "C:\Users\Hugh\Documents\Arduino\ESP8266_fix\ESP8266_fix.ino"
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -built-in-libraries "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Users\Hugh\Documents\Arduino\libraries\libraries" -fqbn=arduino:avr:nano:cpu=atmega328 -ide-version=10606 -build-path "C:\Users\Hugh\AppData\Local\Temp\buildacc55cd646deb3e3dea3d3afc01e0653.tmp" -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "C:\Users\Hugh\Documents\Arduino\ESP8266_fix\ESP8266_fix.ino"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -M -MG -MP -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10606 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\eightanaloginputs" "C:\Users\Hugh\AppData\Local\Temp\buildacc55cd646deb3e3dea3d3afc01e0653.tmp\sketch\ESP8266_fix.ino.cpp"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -M -MG -MP -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10606 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SoftwareSerial" "C:\Users\Hugh\AppData\Local\Temp\buildacc55cd646deb3e3dea3d3afc01e0653.tmp\sketch\ESP8266_fix.ino.cpp"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -M -MG -MP -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10606 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SoftwareSerial" "C:\Users\Hugh\AppData\Local\Temp\buildacc55cd646deb3e3dea3d3afc01e0653.tmp\sketch\ESP8266_fix.ino.cpp"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -M -MG -MP -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10606 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SoftwareSerial" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics  -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10606 -DARDUINO_AVR_NANO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR   "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SoftwareSerial" "C:\Users\Hugh\AppData\Local\Temp\buildacc55cd646deb3e3dea3d3afc01e0653.tmp\sketch\ESP8266_fix.ino.cpp"
C:\Users\Hugh\Documents\Arduino\ESP8266_fix\ESP8266_fix.ino:3:25: fatal error: ESP8266_Lib.h: No such file or directory

#include <ESP8266_Lib.h>
                         ^
compilation terminated.

Using library SoftwareSerial at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\SoftwareSerial 
exit status 1
Error compiling.

That is admittedly a subjective opinion… but based on many “New to Blynk” users walking into this expecting a total plug’n’play setup. WiFi Shields by their very nature add another layer of complexity.

Paste a screenshot of your library folders but basically you will probably need to remove the bad library installation and do it again (manually).

#include <ESP8266_Lib.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleShieldEsp8266.h>

// You should get Auth Token in the Blynk App.
// Go to the Project Settings (nut icon).
char auth[] = "37121ec4c8ce460c8ffcc31d98d36904";

// Your WiFi credentials.
// Set password to "" for open networks.
char ssid[] = "Huzenetwerk";
char pass[] = "8051681100";

// Hardware Serial on Mega, Leonardo, Micro...
#define EspSerial Serial

// Your ESP8266 baud rate:
#define ESP8266_BAUD 9600

ESP8266 wifi(&EspSerial);

void setup()
{

// Set ESP8266 baud rate
  EspSerial.begin(ESP8266_BAUD);
  delay(10);

Blynk.begin(auth, wifi, ssid, pass);
}

void loop()
{
  Blynk.run();
}

(EDIT from Gunner - use backticks, not commas)

I have updated the sketch.
We haven’t got to the really nasty stuff yet, just sorting out the libraries :slight_smile:

1 Like