Essential changes to FREE plan!

@PeteKnight

I sincerely think that a large part of your users do not know the announced change and they will find the project down by the deadline.

The change has been too aggressive. At least propose an alternative plan with a more competitive price for basic users who are willing to support the project.

1 Like

You seem to think that this announcement came from me, and that I am in some way associated with this decision and the way it has been announced.
I have nothing to do with Blynk, I’m simply a forum moderator who is trying to suggest viable work-arounds to people like yourself.

Pete.

1 Like

Existing templates will continue to work without any issues. But - you won’t be able to make any changes into existing templates due to the new limit. In other words - if your template has > 10 datatstreams, you won’t be able to save any new changes until you remove all datastreams above the limit.

2 Likes

We’ll add this to the upcoming newsletter.

Hi all, we do understand the frustration voiced by some of the free users here - this was a hard decision for us, but an absolutely essential one.
In regards to communication: there will be multiple reminders in the app (including via a push notification) and an email notice as well.

1 Like

I’m glad the original post was corrected to say “per template”. Would have saved me the trouble of asking all of the questions at the top of this thread.

@PeteKnight Thanks for your suggestions.

Dear!
The FREE PLAN 10 data stream is also OK.
BUT.!
PLUS PLAN 2/10/20
I think the best solution would be to have an intermediate solution! 2 devices-80 datastreams-12 DOLLARS/year! It would be much more accessible. It would bring more subscribers! Much more! Now many people are outraged!!!
Thanks.

Sorry!
PLUS PLAN 2,10,20 devices!

The problem with this approach, from Blynk’s point of view, is that by the time they have paid the merchant fees on these payments Blynk’s revenue won’t cover the cost of providing the service.

Blynk isn’t a charity, and they need to make a profit in order to be able to continue to develop the product.
The Free subscription is designed as taster, to allow people to see if they get on with the Blynk product. But, it needs to be sufficiently crippled to ensure that people will sign-up for a paid subscription (and one that actually generates proper revenue for Blynk) or look for an alternate solution.

Pete.

2 Likes

“I have spent more than five months learning the Blynk system, but I found it difficult to get support on the forums. The documentation and examples were not very good either. As I am not using commercial devices, I have decided to look for another IoT system. Blynk does not offer any significant advantages, and is similar to almost any Arduino IoT system. I am disappointed that I have spent so much time trying to learn Blynk.”
Thanks for the months that I have used Blynk, which I loved. It would be great if the non-commercial usage plan could be changed to around 10 dollars a year.

Good luck !
Blynk IoT is the best free and easy to learn platform :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Probably you cannot find something that comes close to Blynk. There are other platforms but when it comes to functionality and support in forum, they cannot compete with Blynk. Especially forum !!

4 Likes

I want to clarify a fundamental question for me.

I have made two projects on a free plan with more than ten variables per template. Does this mean that my projects will stop working??? If so, then this is absolutely unacceptable! Projects are made according to the rules, I did not break anything, but in this case, Blynk is deceiving me!

I understand such changes for new projects - it’s your right.

But destroying existing projects with such an innovation is not fair, to put it mildly!

1 Like

Looks like, this is going to a point where Free plan will not be provided or limited more at the end. As long as a simplified basic plan is not available for a reasonable price, you will loose many basic users. I’m sure you have thousands of free plan users and for sure most of them would agree to pay a reasonable price without any hesiatation.

1 Like

Yes

2 Likes

But the issue is that users of the free plan aren’t actually customers. They are users of Blynk’s server space without making any contributions to the costs.
As I said in an earlier post in this topic, the free plan is really a “try before you buy” facility and I don’t really think that it’s intended to be a long-term solution for small IoT projects. If it were then Blynk are back to the situation that existed with the Legacy system where business users are subsidising the home user community.

I think that’s where the problem lies - with the definition of “a reasonable price”. The Plus plan costs $6.99 per month when billed monthly or $4.99 when billed annually.
That’s less than a Netflix, Amazon Prime or Spotify subscription in my country, and probably a fraction of what most people pay per month for their internet or mobile phone service. It’s also less than a couple of Starbucks coffees or a pint of beer in a London pub.

Introducing a “Standard” subscription that sits part-way between the current Free and Plus subscriptions makes very little economic sense in my view, as the merchant fees involved in collecting smaller subscription amounts, especially when collected monthly, make the transactions far too expensive for Blynk to cover their actual hosting costs.

In my opinion the free accounts should have been created with a maximum duration of say 6 months, then users the users offered the option to upgrade to a Plus account with a discount on their first year’s subscription.
That would solve the problem of inactive free accounts cluttering up the servers and also turned the free account into a true “try before you buy” option.

Just my 2 cents worth though.

Pete.

6 Likes

should be limited to 20, if 10 is too few, I also have more than 20 projects, now if it’s 10, there’s no other way, I’m also a student so I don’t have enough money to maintain a monthly package

There is no lies. Economical conditions are not same in all the country. All your samples (Amazon, netflix etc ) has regional pricing. But i agree with you at one point. Blynk should make free account plan for 6 months or shorter. So people can decide how to proceed. Blynk should also decide to keep that basic users or not. No sense to create limitations continuisly. So that no one lose time. If i knew that this would be the point where Blynk go, i wouldn’t spent time and money for energy. Bylnk is worth and perfect for valuable for complicated projects. But not really required to control a few outputs for small projects.

I think I will not be original if I say that until Blynk develops an intermediate tariff plan, he will continue to lose customers with small projects.

2 Likes

They will loose only free users, not customers :joy:

4 Likes