Bring bridge to Blynk V2

Please bring a way to Blynk 2.0 so data can easily be shared between devices

surely that’s what IOT is all about

Hey there.
Bridge widget has been Replaced by Automations and Rule Engine (coming soon)

There are ways around the lack of Bridge.

If you’re using an ESP6266 or ESP32 then you can use the HTTP(S) API to do the same thing, as discussed here…

You can also use Node-Red as a rule engine, which has the advantage of adding much more functionality such as integration with Alexa and Google Home.

You can also use Automations, although the functionality is somewhat limited at the moment.

Pete.

@PeteKnight I would like to use Node-Red, is it hard to learn ?

Not really. It’s a programming tool that uses a visual wiring approach. It can get a bit messy if you’re not careful though…

You can write your own functions in NodeJS, which is very similar to C++

I don’t actually run any Blynk code on any of my devices, I use MQTT messages between my devices and Node-Red, and use Node-Red as the bridge that communicated with Blynk.

Have you read my Home Automation topic…

Pete.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your support. I will try it.

Best regards.

I love this idea. Can you tell me more about it? Currently, i use MQTT heavily but having difficulty in adding Blynk.

My devices run sketches that have regular WiFi and MQTT connection/re-connection routines, and send out MQTT messages around every 5 seconds, as a heartbeat - and sensor data is also sent out at the same frequency.

When I’m controlling things like smart switches, RGB lights etc then these commands are sent as MQTT commands which the device subscribes to - all standard MQTT stuff.

In Node-Red I have a Blynk plug-in installed, which allows me to write values to Blynk virtual pins, and receive triggers when virtual pin values change.
If I want to send sensor data to Blynk then it’s simply a case of linking the incoming MQTT message to a Blynk output node, so whenever a new sensor value message arrives it is pushed out to Blynk automatically.
The same (in reverse) happens when virtual pin values from widgets like switches arrive from Blynk, they are sent to the device as an MQTT command and the logic in the sketch handles the rest.

I currently have just one Blynk ‘device’ in Node-Red and this allows me to display data coming in from multiple pieces of hardware in a single Blynk device screen.

I have two home automation systems, one in England and the other in Spain, that are built around this system, and which work perfectly. I’m in Spain at the moment making some changes to my hardware and migrating that system over to Blynk 2.0 (which is quite easy as it’s really just a ‘re-wiring’ task in Node-Red.

Pete.

@PeteKnight so you installed both MQTT Broker and Node Red on the same machine? I guess it’s raspberry pi. I never use Node Red

Currently, I am using ESPEasy(on ESP32) to collect all data from sensors and control relay and then it transmit/receive data with Blynk Cloud. I based on ESPEasy Rule Engine, which look fine for a single controller.

I also use Tasmota heavily as controller to control Relays and Sensors. So what I am planning to do is to connect my multiple Tasmota Controllers to a local Node Red(Raspberry Pi)+Blynk and go to the cloud so that I can control multiple controller with a single Node-Red instance on RPI. Do you think this kind of setup work? By the way, is it possible to remotely controlling Node Red instance?

Yes, Mosquitto and NR on the same Pi, but you could use a Windows machine too if you wished.

Personally, I don’t like Tasmota. I prefer to write my own firmware and use that, but Tasmota will work in this scenario.

Yes.

Not quite sure what you mean, but you can access, view, edit this remotely if you wish. I run ZeroTier on my Pi so it gives me full remote access. I also tend to install WebMin on my Pi’s as it helps with monitoring them.

Pete.

this is amazin stuff Pete, had no idea what node red was about till now, thank you !! :thinking:

1 Like

Never know about zerotier. Can we access PI’s HTTP and SSH from the Internet using ZeroTier?

I use Pitunnel.

Yes, you run the ZeroTier client on the Pi a d the device you want to use to access it remotely. This makes them appear to be on the same network, and you can’t type the Pi’s ZT IP address into the browser of your remote machine and access it. You can do the same with your SSH client (I use WinSCP) and you can also set-up connections to the Pi in MQTT Explorer.

Response speeds are pretty-much the same as being on the local network, and it really feels like the Pi is in the next room.
You can also remote control a PC, using Windows RDP, which is much faster than TeamViewer.
There are clients for iOS and Android too, but they will disconnect from the ZT network after a period of inactivity to save battery power - but are still fully useable for controlling a Pi etc.

When you set-up ZT, just create a single global network and add all of your clients to that network.

Ok, and the best thing about ZT is that it’s FREE!! :grinning:

Pete.