Blynk legacy and local server

Hey guys !

With the blynk legacy not being supported at the end of the year and since I am heavily using it, I want to be sure that I am making the right decision =p

I am using 4 different projects right now and don’t want to fully recreate them on the new app / web browser.

Can I stay with my actual projects and blynk app legacy IF I am using a local server ?

If I am reading the tutorial correctly, I just need to setup a local server on my computer (same wifi that the ESP32 I am using I guess ?) and run the app through this local server right ?

I know some widgets/features could go wrong with time (like FB loging for example), but since I am only using buttons, segmented swithc, image widget, tabs and stuff like that (so non connected widgets actually), is there really a risk ?

Thanks a lot to all of you who will take their time to help me ^^

Thibaut LEURIDAN

1 Like

Yes, quite a lot of risks, and inconveniences…

Pete.

Been using Blynk on a local server (3 actually) for years. Never uncovered a problem with the code. Unfortunately I have become accustomed to a non-internet local solution and in my opinion, Blynk 2.0 is probably fine but it is a decidedly different solution with advantages for business customers but not so much (if any) for us hobbyists and personal system developers.

This is certainly about money and they are in business, I understand that. However, if a static, unsupported old system can significantly compete with their shiny new offering, how good can it really be? Many of us have offered license fees for phone apps being maintained and all sorts of things. Their servers will be offline at the end of the year so there is no cost to them…save for competition with 2.0.

Go with a local server…it is really quite easy.

Now Pete is somewhat right. Sure it won’t get the Java updates and at some point the new phone operating systems will no longer run the apps…and at that point I will move to something else but that won’t be for a number of years in my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks to you two for your replies.

I need to be able to run it on local for something like 5 years. All the news stuffs will be created on the new app.

You are saying “non-internet local”, does that mean that even if your internet has issues, the local server will still be fine ?

Also, I’ve just followed this tutorial :

Thing is, I can only connect with the admin@blynk.cc account and my projects are not on this account.
Cant I log with my current account on a custom local server ?

Thanks

I wouldn’t like to put money on that one.

Some people used to choose a local server rather than the legacy cloud servers because if they live somewhere that has sporadic or even non-existent internet service then the local server can still provide Blynk functionality to monitor/control devices.

TBH, this is the only scenario where I think sticking with Legacy makes any real sense. For example, I have a friend who has a mobile home (camper van) that he wants to be able to use Blynk to control various devices in the vehicle, and to monitor things like water levels, battery charge state etc.
Because of the mobile nature of the installation, and the fact that the ESP devices won’t always be able to get an internet connection all of the time, a local server is a sensible approach.
As Blynk IoT doesn’t provide a local server option (although it could be possible as an on-premise option for business users), then Legacy is really the only way forward for him.

Attempting to make a local server work either locally without internet access, or remotely when internet access is available, is a bit of a challenge.

Pete.

Pete,

This is exactly what I have been trying to say. One of my servers resides in an RV and communicates with multiple ESP8266s to monitor and control AC, DC and other systems. The Pi server can connect to the internet using a VPN when the coach is somewhere where WiFi is available but the entire system continues to function and maintain control when totally isolated from the web. Hence my dependence on bridge functions as well. Legacy Blynk is ideal for such systems and 2.0 is not applicable.

1 Like

So about this point please ? I really would like to get my already existing projects working on my new local server =p

No, there’s no connection between the legacy cloud servers and your local legacy server.

You could clone the cloud project and import it into your local account.
If you want to create another account other than the Blynk.cc one then you’ll either need to use an earlier version of the app or copy the Blynk account on the local server and rename it to your email address then use the admin console to reset the password.

Pete.

As Blynk IoT doesn’t provide a local server option

Yet :slight_smile:. It’s in my own plans (if no big corporation will buy out us). I do plan to create a local server for the blynk 2.0. However, most likely it would be much more limited than an old legacy one. 100% there will be no historical data. Just realtime.

3 Likes

???

Pete.

1 Like

I mean, big companies are heavily focused on revenue and local servers most likely will be cut off.

2 Likes

Make sure your local server is connected to the internet. Share your project to your email from the cloud. Create a login on your local server and log in. Use the app to clone from the QR code in the email from the cloud server. It generally works…

1 Like

That would be interesting and might make a difference. Don’t forget the Bridge widget which is essential with multiple machines working together.

Just clone a simple project to try it and it has been correctly imported (means every widget properly setup).

But my NodeMCU (Wifi) is offline.
I am connected with the legacy app to the admin blynk account and the server is running.
What can I have missed ? Thx ! Again =p

Have you put the local server Auth token into your sketch, and changed you Blynk.begin command to specify your local server IP address and port, then re- uploaded your sketch to your NodeMCU?

Pete.

1 Like

Not sure I understand your problem. Though you had a project on the legacy cloud that you wanted to move to your local, private server. If this is the case you need to login to the cloud and “share” or "clone your existing project. The cloud will generate an email with a QR code in it that points to your project on the cloud.

Now disconnect the app from the cloud and connect it to your local private server and create a new project where you get the option to scan that QR code so your pricate server can “fetch” the project from the cloud.

I have done this many times between my private servers but never when the Blynk cloud was where the project resides.

Your NodeMCU offline or on-line doesn’t have anything to do with moving a project.

Ive done this, exactly.
But as Pete says, I forgot to change those part of the code and reup.
Thought I just had to change the login method on the app.

Thank a lot !

1 Like

So I just add the proper token into my code. The one I get here :

and I also change my blynk.begin with this :

Still not having my device online in the app Oo

Ther’s no point hiding your internal IP address.

Please replace your screenshot with the actual code, with triple backticks at the beginning and end.

Pete.

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

char auth[] = "WAd_ppIT0noOevJbH22y6z9HNOQsgpH8";

char ssid[] = "SFR-2a61";
char pass[] = "3ad9q33p3du4";

#define LED 2

int pinData ;

BLYNK_WRITE(V0)
{

pinData = param.asInt();