Arduino UNO/ProMini and ESP8266 as Wifi

I want to realize a project where I want to use a ProMini for processing my pins and connect a ESP8266 just for the Wifi connection to Blynk.

But I can find only Demo using the Arduino WiFi Shield or the ESP8266 as standalone module.

Isn’t that possible? How?

Hi @Gorkde,

If you use the 5V Pro-mini, your set-up should be like this:

After that, add your token, your Wi-Fi details and upload next code to your Arduino:

#include <ESP8266_HardSer.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleShieldEsp8266_HardSer.h>

#define EspSerial Serial

ESP8266 wifi(EspSerial);

// You should get Auth Token in the Blynk App.
// Go to the Project Settings (nut icon).
char auth[] = "your_Token";

void setup()
{

Serial.begin(9600);
  delay(10);
  EspSerial.begin(9600);
  delay(10);

Blynk.begin(auth, wifi, "ssid", "pass");
  delay(10); 

while (Blynk.connect() == false) {
  }

}

void loop()
{
Blynk.run();
}

That’s all!!

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thanks, very much! That looks simpler than I thought!
Found that information nowhere at the net!

@Gorkde,
Just an additional tip… Keep in mind the baudrate for the ESP8266 must be 9600 as the code.
Use AT+CIOBAUD=9600 command to change the baud rate of the ESP if needed.

Regards!

Thank you! … …

Good share… that looks nice!

One additional question:

For this does the ESP8266 need to be flashed also or will that work with AT Firmware psoro?

This is AT-firmware version. You can check it bij hooking it up to your serial port and see what it outputs and if you can input AT commands

I had to flash all the ESP’s I have… let’s try as @Lichtsignaal comments.
If it doesn’t work, there’re lots of posts here where you will be able to find the way to do it.

My esp8266 have AT Firmware but since I everywhere read you need to flash them with that github Firmware I assumed they need to have Arduino Firmware flashed onto.

If you use them as shields they need the AT firmware.

If you use them standalone you can upload a program via the Arduino IDE.

1 Like

Hello guys, thanks fir your help.

In general my connection is working as above.

But I get constant disconnect because buffer overflow like discussed here:

Therefore it would be really essessential for me to know if some other people got any ESP8266 Module with AT Firmware working flawlessly.

If so, could you please tell me the exact module and firmware when possible?

That looks fantastic. Can you share the layout of the board underneath the Pro Mini?

Hi @BoxOfSnoo, I don’t have a Layout to follow, I started thinking about how to put everything on the PCB and step by step I began to welding…

I can show you in detail the result (Do NOT expect anything professional…in fact it is really seedy… )
BUT… It works fine…

Regards!

Thanks! Well, sure it’s a prototype but I think it’s awesome. I love how you left extra headers for use after it’s plugged in.

1 Like

Does your board work flawlessly or are you loosing connection every some minutes as well Psoro?

It’s seedy but works fine, no problems regarding connection… :slight_smile:

Gimana kalw yang kita gunakan adalah esp14 apakah bisa ?

Google translator:
“What if we use is esp 14 does this work?”

The Esp14 is a STM8S microcontroller with the ESP8266 all together… The STM8S controls ESP8266 by AT commands
No way to use it as the Esp-01. Check the Esp14 pinout… It’s done for other purpose rather than a Shield.

That’s not true, you can write Firmware on it as well (ordered on in the beginning accidentally) but since most pins are connected to the other chip only a few are accessible from outside pins.