Any different option/setting to choose between ESP12E and NodeMcu

I see, you have the mini pro with IPEX connector.
Is there a real difference with the signal strength ?
are you using a PC power supply, it seems to be an HDD connector ?

The device was going in a diecast aluminium box, so I needed the external antenna. Generally I donā€™t use the external antenna, but tend to buy the Pro version because you have the choice of how to use them. You have to swap the zero ohm resistor next to the external connector though.

The JST connectors are just an easy way to connect-in external devices. The one at the bottom is a connection to an RFID reader and the one at the top is power and an external reset button.

Pete.

1 Like

@Blynk_Coeur @PeteKnight @marvin7

Hello !!

The update now is !!
I installed Arduino IDE and all the required stuff to get Blynk working. The system that i installed Arduino IDE had never ever seen anything like this before.

So right after installing all the required stuff !! I uploaded the same old code to the same old ESP12E module and Voila !!! It immediately connected to the same router(NO changes made) without any re-connection tries !!

But the connection is not stable. The module goes offline and comes back online every now and then. And the response to the app input is way too slow !!

I also purchased a Wemos D1 MINI this morning and uploaded the same code and it connects too ! But it is stable with its connections(Its been just hardly 3hrs since its online, so i cannot really say how stable it is.)

Things Running Now
Arduino IDE 1.8.5
ESP Core 2.4.1
Blynk Lib 0.6.0

But strange thing is even with out :point_down:

WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);

The ESPā€™s are no longer showing up on my Hotspot list But the Wemos D1 MINI is showing up !! Strange !!

Can i know how to get it more stable like before ??

1 Like

As I explained before, the WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA) command only needs to be run once on a device to turn this off, unless you clear the settings when you flash the device.

Pete.

1 Like

Perhaps the noise is too high? You can try lower the output power (range 0-20.5) with WiFI.setOutputPower()

1 Like

The place where i Code and upload into ESP is hardly 3mtrs away from the wifi router. So obviously i upload the code and test the module if that connects !! But today i felt like trying to connect the module sitting next to the router itself and amazingly it connects quickly !!

What does this say ? My router has two antenna that can be pointed to a specified direction. Also tried to adjust the antenna !! But no luck. The module connects only when it is hardly a meter away !!

But the same room/place where i code has 2 NODEMCUā€™s working correctly, but not stable enough !! Disconnects every 2 or 3 days and re connects !!

Is this because the Wifi is not powerful enough ? Or any defect with module ? I have also connected a Wemos D1 mini from the same room for testing purpose !! And it is pretty stable since last night !!

@PeteKnight
Due to him saying so and also had Python installed(multiple times with diff versions)[doesnā€™t make sense but i felt it was interfering with the wifi network ] and also multiple Arduino versions and Lib, on my laptop and few more bugs i also re installed my OS. But never expected this WiFi range would be a problem.

Now what can be done to get ESPā€™s connection stable by increasing the power like just @marvin7 said WiFI.setOutputPower()

Or can i add an external antenna ?
But i guess this should not be a problem, because the NODEMCU uses the same module !!

the power is set to max by default
your MCU is defective, maybe between HF output and PCB antenna

https://www.sunrom.com/p/wifi-module-esp8266-pcb-antenna

Okay !! But i had two ESP12E purchased at the same time !! Both cannot be defective at the same time right !!?? May be the whole Batch had a problem !

But how could this happen with the same ESP module ? From the same room !!
Anyways I will purchase one more ESP12E and Give an updateā€¦ !!

1 Like

maybe itā€™s a bad production batch :wink:

1 Like

Maybe you can try to connect your ESPā€™s to your mobile as hotspotā€¦
This way you can notice if your router is doing strange thingsā€¦

try that and you will be fixed :wink:

Yes I tried it before hand. And it connects to the mobile hotspot as quick as lightning. But doesnā€™t connect to server(obviously) as the server is not running on my mobile hotspot. But connects very quickly.

Sorry !! I did not understand. Can you please come again :confused:

I had the same problem as you with one of my nodemcu.
So I decided to try the Wifi Repeater sketch and it works perfectly well over 48 hours.
Back to blynk, same problem as before!
I think I will use my $ 2 NodeMCU as a Wifi Repeater :rofl:

1 Like

That should tell you something about your TP-Link router, orthe fact that you have another device on your network thatā€™s causing a problem. I flagged this potential issue up in post #45 but you never responded or provided more info about possible DHCP conflicts.

Also, are you saying that you havenā€™t set-up port forwarding and DDNS for your local server so that itā€™s accessible from outside of your network?

Pete.

1 Like

Use Blynk Cloud server for that purpose. Give it a try

1 Like

Not INCREASE, but DECREASE! Iā€™ve had a situation, where it helped. Yet most of them (ESPā€™s) are working fine on MAX power setting (default)

Only if you need them! Otherwise try smashing it with hammer :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™ve found it very healing and helpful for regaining peace of mind. I guarantee you will quickly forget about it and wonā€™t be pushed to moving back and forth through unanswered questions. Sometime something just donā€™t want to work the way it shouldā€¦

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Hello @PeteKnight @Blynk_Coeur @psoro @marvin7 @rha10 !! Finally i found out that few traces of tracks running below the ESP12Eā€™s antenna that is sitting on a PCB is interfering with the wifi frequency !! I just happened to de-solder the ESP12E that i thought might me defective, and also many of our community members said so !
So before replacing with a new one i thought of powering it up out side the Development board and it connected quickly ! After few hours of testing and doing some insane stuff i found out that the PCB traces are interfering with the antenna !! If the Router is really close then this doesnā€™t matter. But if far away then it will take 5 or 8 attempts to connect and works way toooooo slow!! Which is unusual for a person using BLYNK ā€¦

Thank you everyone for giving their valuable time for getting nothing in return !! I am very glad that i am having such Brilliant people to seek help from and learn exciting stuff !!

This post was totally not a BLYNK related problem ! But in the beginning it seems to be so ! But anyways, this was a very good learning for me and someone getting such problem can get some idea out of this post !! To solve the issue i have used male header pins to raise the ESP12E from the PCB and the problem is gone !! Also found out that if the antenna is close to any AC(alternating current) wire will have an significant effect on the working behavior and range of the ESP(you guys will be knowing, but felt like sharing what is learnt the hard way !!) ā€¦

Thank you for all of your support !! :pray:

3 Likes