Newbie Attempts Local Server

From Putty I think if you type ifconfig it should show you the IP (and a bunch of stuff)… typically in the 192.168.x.x range

Due to the fact I’m not sure where I’m supposed to be looking I’ve PM’d you a screen shot of the results …

And did the site just go down ?

In the latest raspbian its:

ip addr

which will give you the ip, no idea why they changed it. That IP should be filled in in the App, as stated above :wink:

Both work… turned out he needed the Public one anyhow… and probably a DNS redirection service…

Or port forward, but if you connect from your lan to the public ip with a port forward the router needs to support local loopback (which most routers do anyway).

It needs to have port 9443 forwarded to the server though

Local loopback might not work with his router, as can happen with some (the one provided by my ISP had issues like that) . Regardless, needs the port forwarding anyhow… I believe he is testing the port forwarding now…

1 Like

Why is he not testing it as a true local server before moving on to WAN access?

Fingers crossed, let’s hope for the best :wink:

I just migrated all my Blynk stuff to a new home on a nice and comfy RasPi3 without too much hassle, lol.

1 Like

Dunno… just a fast and motivated learner… look out world :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well I almost managed it.

I wasn’t able to connect to it and create an account because Blynk wasn’t running on it. When I did step 9 of the tutorial I “exited” instead of “saved” so after it rebooted Blynk wasn’t running. A simple mistake but one that had me stumped until @Gunner put me right.

it is 8080 in new release

sorry for spoiling :smiley:

No. 8080 is new port instead of 8442.
9443 is new port instead of 8443.

2 Likes

ohh my bad. thanks for correction :smiley:

do you use it for lite version?

I don’t do graphical interfaces on Linux systems, unless it’s my desktop. I try to keep RasPi’s as light as possible, hence I use screen to have lots of virtual terminals I can control from anywhere.

1 Like

This is simultaneously the most educational and the most entertaining thread I have read anywhere in a long time. Thanks @Shadeyman for putting this out there for everyone to get involved with.

1 Like

My Pi Zero W server now has a 250GB Western Digital hard drive. No idea why I did it, just had a few drives lying around. I guess it’s useful for something, right?

1 Like

Attach it firmly to your little Zero to keep the Zero from floating away on a breeze :wink: (AKA paperweight)

1 Like

Not quite what I was hoping for but that will do … :sweat_smile:

Well… it is just extra storage… way more than you could fill with projects (well, maybe in another month or so :smiley: )

You could mess around with a NAS server, but the Zero is just a slow single core… so not really recommended for anything more then a possible learning process. Ditto with a Wordpress server.

1 Like