Newbie Attempts Local Server

Yes I know I’m jumping in at the deep end, but as my grandfather used to say, “the fastest way to learn, is to do”. So, I’ve purchased a Pi Zero W, a Pi Zero Case and a Sandisk Ultra 32Gb memory card.
Am I right in thinking if I do this first. It will take me to step 7 of this. From there I should be able to set up the Pi Zero as a local Blynk server remotely from my desktop PC?

@Shadeyman a very good video for the W.

Lite, Disk Imager, cards mods, SSH, PUTTY, Config,

Hostname - check router and use IP address in PUTTY if hostname doesn’t work.

Also useful to add WinSCP to a Windows PC for drag and drop of files to and from Pi.

Why so big, 8GB should be more than enough.

1 Like

I wasn’t really paying attention to the guy that served me as I had my wife, kids and grand kids with me. He pointed behind at a display of memory cards and asked what card I wanted. My 7 year old grandson shouts " the red one".
So I have a 32Gb red one. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

@Costas could you elaborate a little on this bit?
I had planned to install the Pixel version instead of Lite in case I did connect a screen later on. Would that be a problem?

I always go with Lite and I have screens for my Pi’s. Just means I use command line rather than GUI.

I suppose for a newbie then there might be some benefit to using the full version but the W is not like the much more powerful Pi 3 so it’s not like you would actually want to use the W with the GUI.

As a newbie I find the GUI a lot more user friendly, command lines remind me of computer class at school. I was as lost then as I am now … :rofl:

I’m new to coding and Blynk, I don’t want to accidentally send zillions of notifications etc to Blynk servers while I’m messing around with code. Better to make my own and learn a little in the process.
I’ll just use the GUI for setup purposes, and if possible to view the data my crazy projects send to it. Is that even possible, can I view the data?

You can certainly view the logs and WinSCP is good for this.

Local server is an advanced Blynk topic then there is a super advanced topic of database mods. It’s covered in the docs but I would recommend you stay well clear of it.

All Blynk servers allow you to export data in csv format for further analysis.

1 Like

I’ve spent 2 days scratching my head because there was a brace out of place. Thank’s for the heads up, I’ll be leaving the “super advanced” stuff well alone. :+1:

It’s the section in the docs about PostgreSQL that you should ignore but you must process every other step in the docs to get a fully functional server even the parts that are suggested as optional. They are not really optional if you are ever going to use API calls etc.

1 Like

It looks to me like I will have to enable PostgreSQL Database if I want to be able to store and view the data my projects produce. Does this store every button press, slider movement etc.?

It stores every virtualWrite() and 99% of users don’t need this information.

I am pretty sure that important data in csv form is available from local servers without PostgreSQL, right @Dmitriy?

1 Like

Correct.

2 Likes

Even if I completely fail at turning this Pi Zero W into a local server it will still sit proudly on my desk, because its gorgeous.

Am I weird for thinking that?

1 Like

Nice ‘case’!! :heart_eyes:

Yes… welcome to the club :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

After a few hours I finally managed to connect it to my WiFi network. :grinning:
Pi

No thanks to the video tutorial I originally linked to, it missed out 2 very important steps. However I eventually managed to find another tutorial video that was perfect, even I managed to do it first try.

Now for the serious stuff, step 5 in the Blynk Local Server tutorial, fingers crossed.

:grin::rofl::smile:

Is this a problem my end or Pi’s end?

See this post https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/65894/help-with-raspbian-apt-get-update-mirrordirector-raspbian-org-not-resolving

1 Like

Thanks @Costas
Quick cup of coffee then I’ll try again. :+1:

Also via putty try:

ping bbc.com

just to check you have access to the internet from the Pi.

1 Like

14.2ms … So yes it does …

EDIT.
Erm? How do i stop it, its still pinging the BBC … :astonished: