Will the old Blynk Legacy be replaced by the new Blynk iOT in the future?

Will the old Blynk Legacy be replaced by the new Blynk iOT in the future?
because my startup is still using the old blynk legacy model… and currently still serving clients for homes with legacy blynk. Thank you

Yes. Blynk legacy has already stopped new registrations. And will be closing in shortly. The development for the app is already in halt.

If you had a subscription plan with the legacy you will need to contact the blynk team for further support on how to continue/transfer your business with the new platform.

There is no automatic migration from Legacy to IoT, the two systems work differently.

I suspect that you didn’t have a Legacy commercial subscription, otherwise the Blynk team would have been in touch with you. This means that you’ve been using the Blynk Legacy product in a way that it’s not designed to be used.

You should look at the various subscription models and read about the use of sub-organisations (only available in the PRO subscription or higher) and decide on the best course to enable you to carry-on supporting your clients.

Pete

2 Likes

I still don’t understand using blynk iOT. do Blynk applications for clients and administrators (Developers) still use the same Blynk iOT? because Blynk iOT has billing

Yes, both will use the same app.

The Billing menu can be hidden from clients.

Pete.

does new blynk iot work with wifi manager code? i tried using my old code which uses wifi manager it doesn’t seem to work

I recommend you to use blynk edgent instead.

Does your old code have any hard-coded references to blynk-cloud.com ?

Have you placed your #define BLYNK_TEMPLATE_ID and #define BLYNK_DEVICE_NAME lines at the very top of your sketch?

Pete.

yes … I’ve put #define BLYNK_TEMPLATE_ID and #define BLYNK_DEVICE_NAME lines at the very top of my sketch.
But is it wifi manager or old code with extra
#define BLYNK_TEMPLATE_ID and #define BLYNK_DEVICE_NAME lines
keep working?

I really don’t understand this question!

The important question was this one…

Pete.

#define BLYNK_TEMPLATE_ID
#define BLYNK_DEVICE_NAME

does my project with wifi manager work on blynk iot with extra code on the top like that?

The wifi manager should work with blynk IOT but it’s more recommended to use blynk edgent instead.

When you compile a sketch using the Blynk 1.0.1 library, it looks at the first lines of the code. If it sees #define BLYNK_TEMPLATE_ID then it knows that this is a Blynk IoT sketch, and when it encounters Blynk.begin(auth) in the sketch it knows that it needs to attempt to send the connection command to the blynk.cloud server.
If it doesn’t see #define BLYNK_TEMPLATE_ID at the beginning of the sketch then it assumes that this is a legacy sketch, which needs to connect to the Legacy servers, and uses blynk-cloud.com instead of blynk.cloud.

However, the library can’t cope with all situations. If you sketch specifically references blynk-cloud.com in the Blynk.begin or Blynk.config commands, or if you use WiFiManager to specify a custom server and dont specify blynk.cloud in that field within your captive portal then Blynk will try to connect to blynk-cloud.com or whatever server address you specify in the portal.

In this situation, Blynk will be passing an IoT auth token to the Legacy servers, and you will get am `Invalid Auth Token2 message and the authentication will fail.

You may also encounter similar issues if the field allocated to hold the auth token is too small, and the token is being truncated.

Now do you understand why I have asked of your sketch contains any hard-coded references to Blynk-cloud.com and why its frustrating that you don’t answer this question?

Pete.

1 Like