Which gsm sheild to buy for blynk i reside in usa

hello we are making a project where we are launching space balloon and i need to fetch data
which gsm sheild to buy which will be compatible with lyca sim or at and t company
please provide link
adafruit or seedstudio ?

which gsm sheild to buy which support 3g or 4g and i can connect with blynk !!!

Do you expect to get 3G or 4G gsm reception in ‘space’?

Pete.

@PeteKnight probably for payload recovery.

we want to send a drone in the space (not outer space).
so the network should reach to point where a drone can reach(specifically DJI phantom 3).
should i use the Adafruit Fona 3g which is sure to work with at&t but is more expensive and i am not sure if it would work with usa. OR should i consider SIM800L module which is cheap and i think it works with blynk.

i am open to all suggestions. please leave your suggestion below. since the project will work on batteries so i want to make it as low power as possible(more on that later)

we want to send a drone in the space (not outer space).
so the network should reach to point where a drone can reach(specifically DJI phantom 3).
should i use the Adafruit Fona 3g which is sure to work with at&t but is more expensive and i am not sure if it would work with usa. OR should i consider SIM800L module which is cheap and i think it works with blynk.

i am open to all suggestions. please leave your suggestion below. since the project will work on batteries so i want to make it as low power as possible(more on that later)

You’ll probably find that power consumption, or more specifically power supply capabilities, will be an issue. My only experience of using GSM boards is with a SIM900 device that I only really use for sending and receiving notifications and commands via SMS when my network connection is down (usually because the power is off).
The SIM900 needs a 5v supply that can deliver 2 amps. People have lots of problems with the SIM900 board and the majority of them are due to the PSU not being up to the job. If you don’t keep the SIM900 supplied with enough power then you keep dropping the mobile network connection and spend most of your time searching, negotiating and re-connecting again. If you’re using Blynk then you’ll want a solid connection.
I use a fairly hefty USB power bank that can deliver 2.1 amps to power the SIM900 and 1 amp to power an Arduino.

You might want to take a look at LoRo as an alternative data transmission system (not sure if you could do Blynk over LoRa though).

Pete.

what do you think is appropriate communication technology for blynk when i am using drone is gsm appropriate for the project !!!
what will you suggest ?
wifi connection wont be stable and we wont get wifi wherever we take Drone ? is gsm a better option ?

For this application, I don’t see Blynk being of much benefit unless you are also including a Local Server in the flight package and basicly recording all the info for later review.

As for terrestrial Cellular networks, I don’t think they work that high; wrong direction for the signal path (which I suspect is more horizontal than vertical). Airplanes generally need special cellular repeaters in order to allow phones access to internet and carrier networks.

But for best information as to equipment, I think general Googling other sites where others have sent up balloons would be your best resource.

we want get the readings from different sensors in real time and thats why we prefer blynk as the latency is very less.

Low latency??.. Not from a 15-40+km straight up, App ↔ Server ↔ Balloon, two way link :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, post lots of details and pictures when you do it… Ultimate IoT usage“Hmmm, did I remember to turn my balloon’s sensor pack heater on? Better check my App”

1 Like

what will you suggest us ?

Why is real time important?
I think I would be looking at a local Blynk server.

You’ve said you’ll be using a drone. How will you be controlling the drone?
I know very little about modern RC capabilities, but I’d doubt that you’d be able to control the drone once it gets more than a couple of miles/km above the ground.
If you have some clever way of controlling the drone up to ‘inner space’ altitudes then this is the technology you should be using to transmit data back to earth, in a similar way to the way that POV video is transmitted back to drone pilots.

Pete.

I think I understand what you are trying to do. A balloon launch of a quadcopter drone and you want to be able to control it on descent? I’d try a signal amp and a directional antenna on transmitter or a relay/repeater on a thether balloon. Sailplane fliers use to lay on their back and use binoculars and fly gliders way up!
Only bad thing about using cellular for this is the same reason why you aren’t supposed to use cell phones in the air, you will be visible to too many towers and it can overload the system.