Wemos D1 mini +Blynk + IFTTT + Abode = Cheap customizable status monitor

For those not familiar, Abode is a DIY home security system with some basic automation capabilities. I highly recommend it. They have a “System Status Indicator” that will show you the state of your system with an LED. I never purchased one, because I’m too cheap. I decided to try to make one with a Wemos, Blynk and IFTTT.

It has been a while since I have used this, so I apologize in advance if it does not work with the current release. (I scavenged my Wemos for another project). I am posting this at the request of a redditor, and I figured I might as well post it here in case anyone else has interest. I will try to link to some of the basic resources since some people coming here may not be familiar.

Supplies and resources:
Wemos D1 Mini
IFTTT
Blynk intro
LED wiring example

Step 1: Wiring
Wire 2 LEDs to your WEMOS using 2 digital pins. I used a red and green led on pin 4 and 5.

Step 2: Blynk
Generate a new project on your blynk app to generate the AUTH key.

Step 3: The code
This code assumes you have arduino IDE and all the appropriate libraries installed and have a basic familiarity with the IDE. The code is not complicated, but if you can’t get it to load to your Wemos, there are plenty of guides on this site to help.

#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>
#include <SimpleTimer.h>

#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial

char auth[] = "YOUR AUTH HERE";
// Your WiFi credentials.
// Set password to "" for open networks.
char ssid[] = "NETWORKNAME";
char pass[] = "NETWORKPASSWORD";

// Timer for blynking
SimpleTimer timer;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass);

while (Blynk.connect() == false)  {
// Wait until connected 
  }

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

Blynk.run();
  timer.run();

}

Step 4: IFTTT

I realize there is a better way to set this up, but this was my quick and dirty solution. You will end up with 6 total IFTTT for Abode. (This assumes you already have your Abode account linked to IFTTT.) The recipes will do the following:

• Turn on green led if system changed to standby.
  • Turn off green led if system changed to home.
  • Turn off green led if system changed to away.
  • Turn on red led if system changed to home.
  • Turn on red led if system changed to away.
  • Turn off red led if system changed to standby.

Step 5: Try it out!
After you have the Wemos wired, code loaded, and IFTTT set up, power your Wemos up! It will not retroactively get the current system state on plugging in, but go ahead and arm/disarm your system and test the LEDs! If all goes well, you now have an Abode system status indicator for <$5 in parts.

One small note: Due to limitations of IFTTT, occasionally it takes a couple minutes for the LEDs to update, but in my experience it takes less than 10 seconds the majority of the time.

If this doesn’t work or anyone needs any clarifications, please don’t hesitate to ask!