Webhook improvements

Hello,

I have been playing around with webhook and quickly found its limitations. Although it’s a very useful feature because it allows you to relay our data to other platforms, it can be significantly improved in the following manner:

1. Allow to use dynamic data without “” , i.e. {pin_value}. This is a problem when the cloud platform we are sending data is expecting non string data values like integers or float. Although we could create maybe complicated edge functions to convert “{pin_value}” to a float on the other side it would be much more simple to send them already without “”.
{ "var1 float": {pin_value},
    "var 2 string": "{pin_value}"
}

1. Allow different data streams to be sent on same webhook trigger. Sometimes we need to relay several virtual pins last values in the same webhook , for example when sending data to an external SQL database we need to add a row with several data on it, not just one. Sending a unique webhook per datastream change would create a lot of traffic and complication on the other side.
{ "var1 float": {pin1_value},
    "var 2 string": "{pin2_value}"
}

I believe it would give us a much more flexible and powerful webhook if we add this features because it would allow us to connect to automation web apps like Zappier or pipedream and create very cool automations by sending data as they are.

Regards

1 Like

Hello. Thanks for the proposals.

1 - agree, it actually a UI bug because of json validation. We’ll fix it.
2 - it’s already there, you can use placholders like {device_dataStream_X} where X is id of the datastream

1 Like

Appreciate it Dmitriy! Blynk’s webhook is much better than arduino’s because it doesn’t limit the websites you can connect to like they do.

Fantastic, looking formward to use them when the json validator is ready.

Have a great weekend

1 Like