Water level logger suggestions for blynk

Hi guys,

I just bought this ILLS‑G0750‑D‑010 expensive vented pressure sensor and I was wondering if someone more informated than me has a broader knowledge of all the prototyping IoT boards working with blynk.
Only must here are ethernet (possibly with PoE) and be able to provide from 9 to 32 Volt to the sensor wich with poe equipped boards shouldn’t be a problem.

Thanks in advance

If you do a few searches on here you’ll see that many of us have had poor experiences with Ethernet shields for the Arduino Uno/Nano boards.
This was how I first stated in IoT and even though I went through a number of Ethernet shields, and made some of the suggested modifications by adding capacitors etc, I never found one that was reliable. Others have been luckier, but it does just seem to be down to luck. Paying more money for supposedly genuine Arduino Ethernet shields doesn’t seem to help.

If you want true Ethernet reliability then it’s probably going to need to be a Raspberry Pi, but then you have issues with which programming language to choose.

As far as POE is concerned, this can also be a bit or a murky area. There are several different POE standards, and that can cause some issues and frustration. There are POE ‘hats’ (shields) for the Pi, but I don’t think you’ll get your 9-32v without some hacking. I’ve powered a Pi using a POE to MicroUSB adapter before and that worked well, but in your case you’d probably want to use a POE to 12v adaptor like this:

Then add a 12v to 5v buck converter to give the power for the Pi.

Pete.

Thanks for your fast reply.

Actually i was already thinking of the Pi because even if I have one aruindo with ethernet shield already deployed and working flawlessly, I never tried PoE variants. Anyway probably you gave me a better idea for my situation. I think that using a poe splitter and the shield configuration would let me directly power an arduino board (ranges 7-12 V) without having to stepdown to 5 V and also I can send 12 V to the sensor input.

How does it look to you? @PeteKnight

Lawrence

Using an Arduino would certainly make the coding side easier, and the power supply as well. I just don’t like the Ethernet shields :frowning_face:

Pete.

1 Like

I see, probably not the best things out there, but In my case I have few feasable alternatives other than the one you propose and bear in mind that the device has to “live” outdoors 24/7/365 near the sensor (cable is just 10 m), only just for supplying and reading a voltage

You could use a Pi in that situation, but I’d try with the Uno/Ethernet combo first. One thing I would do is to add a waterproof reset button to your outdoor case, and maybe go for a case with a transparent lid, so you can see what the LEDs on the shield are doing and if necessary keep hitting the reset button until it starts behaving.

Pete.

thanks for the advice, I was thinking of the casing and this looks pretty slick, I could even upgrade my other box! :slight_smile:

I was thinking more like this:

I prefer to use mainstream off-the-shelf items so that it’s easier to get replacements (and they’re cheaper!).

Pete.

2 Likes