I had been contemplating building my own Geyser (Boiler) Controller for several years, but I never had the time to get seriously involved. When the Covid lockdown started I decided this was the ideal opportunity to start developing the project in earnest.
The hardware took several design iterations to baseline. There was also a significant time spent on writing code and error checking to make the code “bullet proof”.
Initially the idea was just to switch the geyser ON/OFF using a scheduler but as the project developed I thought it would be neat to added a power monitoring circuit as well, this added a whole new dimension of what could be done…
The design is based on the ESP-12F WiFi platform and using the Blynk App to manage your schedule and actively monitor your power consumption. The hardware is built into a 32mm wide Din Rail Housing that can be easily wired up into your Distribution Board.
DIY Partly built up SMD boards or a completed unit is available if your are interested in supporting my project. Or I may even be able to quit my forced retirement with any job offers!!
The project is complex, you will need a certain level of skill in Electronics and be familiar with writing code using the Arduino IDE and Blynk.
- WiFi Manager to remotely setup your WiFi Credentials / Blynk Token from your smartphone
- AM & PM schedule programming
- Day of the week programming
- Holiday Mode (Ever forget to switch off your geyser before going on holiday or on a business trip?)
- Need to shower shortly? Override to force the Geyser ON
- Visual feedback on health status and schedule times
- No internal battery required. All schedules are cloud based.
- Immune to a Load Shedding (Power Blackout). In SA we have load shedding that can last anywhere from 1hr to 4hr/day….
- Connected to your home WiFi. (There is a RTC based system in the pipeline for applications where there is no WiFi Connectivity)
- Push Notification. Add the Blynk notification Widget or use the Push Safer API
- On board OLED display. This will only mimic some of the details already displayed on your smartphone and is not essential.
- Smart power consumption monitoring using a non evasive Current Clamp
- Real time power consumption - calculated every second
- Terminal Widget to display the past 12 months usage
- Tariff Slider to set up your KWH/Cost. The data will automatically update every KWH used
- Comparative Power consumption display for Today and Yesterday
- Super Chart – Real time graphic display of your power consumption. The chart is updated every second, the information can also be downloaded as an Excel CVS file for advanced analysis.
- OTA BIN File updates using BitBumper. No need for a physical connection to your computer.
- Operating Voltage 110 - 230VAC 50Hz
- Isolation AC-DC converter PSU
- Relay contact rating 30Amp
- Power consumption accuracy within 5% (Subject to calibration accuracy and using a fixed 230V in the calculations)
- WiFi Connectivity
- F-RAM (Nonvolatile Ferroelectric RAM) for data storage (100 Trillion Read/Write Cycles)
- Geyser Timer Schedule
- Power Consumption Monitoring and Utility Billing
- Pool Timer
- Under Floor Heating Schedule controller
- Any device that requires an Intelligent Timer
OTHER PROJECTS IN THE PIPELINE
- 4 Zone Irrigation Timer (ESP8266)
Solenoid Valve Control (H-Bridge)
2 x Relay Outputs
Water Flow Sensor
RTC Board Optional
- Battery Operated 4 Zone Irrigation Timer (ESP32)
Solenoid Valve Control (H-Bridge)
RTC Built In
- Greenhouse misting timer
- Low power general purpose sensor board
- RTC Shield
- Weather Shield (Temp, Humidity, Air Pressure)
- WiFi based Municipal water consumption monitor
- More accurate Power Monitoring
- Solar Power management
SAMPLES OF THE WIP BOARDS
GEYSER CONTROLLER CIRCUIT DIAGRAM - TOP BOARD
GEYSER CONTROLLER CIRCUIT DIAGRAM - BASE BOARD
OTA BIN FILE UPDATING
NOTE: Only when you have your WiFi Manager working will the BitBumber App work
See OTA firmware update tool for ESP8266 – BitBumper Ingenieurbüro
For all my code see https://github.com/ThaiLes/Geyser-Controller there are 16 ino files that make up the project code. You will also have to install all the correct libraries etc… not an easy job
OPEN ENERGEY MONITOR
The Project and Code is also published on the OEM website. (Use the code from the OEM site it is more up to date, I need to update GitHub soon)
There are LIVE voltages present on the board. If you are inexperienced then do not consider taking on the project. Unfamiliarity with tools and process can be dangerous.
As always use a qualified electrician if you are considering installing the Timer/Controller “at your own risk”. The product is not certified and is for private use only.