Text Input Widget cannot be associated with a datastream

Hi everyone,

Today, I found that I could not associate a datastream with Text Input Widget. Number Input Widget is not affected. I was able to add datastream to Text Input Widget before (a few months ago; I have not changed my template recently). An image is shown below to show the comparison.

Not sure if it is an issue on my side, or Blynk has changed the rules.

I do not like the - and + signs in Number Input Widget, so I used Text Input to enter all the numeric parameters.

Kang

You can only associate Text input widget with STRING datastreams.

Pete.

Thanks, Pete. May I know if this is a recent change? If so, will this affect the devices that have been configured to associate Text Input Widget with numeric datastreams?

Kang

I don’t know, I guess the answer about whether it’s a recent change will depend on whether you’re using the web dashboard, or the Android or iOS app.

As far as the impact on existing widgets are concerned, then why don’t you test it and see?

Pete.

We have 20+ devices and some of them are being used in applications, so it is a bit hard to do a thorough inspection. With one device that was brought to my attention today due to a bug reported by a user, I noticed this issue. I did one test with a working widget (it was associated with a numeric datastream): after I clicked it to associate with datastreams in editor of iOS mobile dashboard, the previous association was removed and no association can be made (we don’t have any string type datastream). Now, I am not sure if the bug was caused by this policy change or other reasons.

We will from now on use the Number Input Widget in future updates and hope that all the operating devices will not malfunction because of this.

Thanks again.

Kang

I would have thought that the simpler solution would be to change the existing datastream that you’re using to a String data type.

Pete.

Thanks, Peter. We will test it.

Kang