[Solved] Multiple devices (60), need a solution

I have designed a device that sends a bunch of data to a Blynk project via wifi. The device is kind of like a complicated refrigerator. My Blynk project monitors several temperatures from the refrigerator, motor rpm, switch settings, alarms, etc. This all works fine. Cool! This is where it gets tricky. I will be building about 60 of these refrigerators, all identical, and they will be scattered all over the world. I need to be able to access the data feeds from all the different refrigerators. I only need to look at one refrigerator at a time… NOT all of them simultaneously. How can I do this with Blynk?

Option 1: Build one Blynk project for each refrigerator. Each Blynk project has an auth token associated with one refrigerator. I think this is feasible, but not very practical. Building 60 cloned Blynk projects sounds painful (maybe a job for my intern!). And to make things worse, if I need to make a change to the Blynk project… I have to make the same change to all 60 projects (another job for the intern!) Needless to say, I do not like this option, unless there is an easy way to distribute updates to all cloned projects.

Option 2: I might be able to utilize some features described in the Blynk documentation about “Control of multiple devices”. But I think there is a limit of 25 devices. Even if 60 devices is okay, I might need to use one tab for each refrigerator… but Blynk says you can have only 4 tabs in a project, so I don’t think I have enough project space to manage 60 refrigerators. Also, Blynk might not be able to handle all the data coming in from 60 devices. Maybe there is some code or a widget that allows one to simultaneously change the target of all the widgets in a project…, that would be cool, and it might solve my problem. (I will need to switch from one refrigerator to another several times a day. Manually switching the target for each widget one-by-one would not be practical.)

Option 3: I would like to have each refrigerator write to the Blynk server using a different auth token. Then I would like to have one Blynk project that has a table (or menu of some sort) showing all the refrigerators/tokens. Then I would like to pick the one refrigerator/token that I want to look at, and then all the data from that refrigerator populates my Blynk project. This would be an elegant solution to my problem, but I don’t know if Blynk has the tools available to make it happen.

I see a support thread “Support for multiple devices” started by Co-Founder Dmitriy describing multiple tokens as a feature, but I don’t think this resulted in a solution to my situation.

Has anyone else had to tackle this problem? How did you do it?

Sounds like a commercially sized problem… thankfully Blynk has commercially sized solutions over on their business side.

Check it out, might be better than the constantly changing development side here?

You can use the local server in that case.

You’d probably want the server in your own control anyway with so many devices. Depending on the type of data it may even be illegal to host such things in the cloud :slight_smile:

Why?

Because certain types of data have to be hosted local in a country instead of “somewhere in the cloud”.

Now I’m thinking from my perspective as being a network/security engineer in the Healthcare sector :wink:

And anyone older than ~50 will want to know where their data physically resides, because control = security, right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apologies in advance for the digression.

me too recomends a “local” server for your project. there you can set more than 25 devices and use device selector / tiles in a single project.

for the firmware maintenence, you can upload fw ota, worldwide, via your local server.

store the wifi and token in eeprom, thus you can use literarly the same fw on all devices. so you have to maintain only 1 fw and 1 project. at least this is how i do on similar projects.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want anyone knowing the contents of my “smrt” fridge… "Oh no! Gunners running low on Metamucil and Ensure" :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks for the helpful feedback from everyone. I think the Device Selector widget is going to work for me. We can call this solved.