[SOLVED] "Failed to disable echo" PROBLEM

One other observation. You have to be careful how you verify that the ESP is really working. I’ve seen situations where it will respond fine to some basic AT commands, but if you issue an AT+CWLAP command (mode 1 or 3) it responds with ERROR and then resets. A reflash fixes this. Again, root cause unknown. My test script is:
AT+RESTORE
AT+CWMODE=1
AT+CWLAP
AT+CWJAP=“ssid”,“password”
AT+CIFSR

RD7

1 Like

@Rom3oDelta7 I like your quote 'it’s not rewarding unless it’s challenging".

Also a good one from T.S. Eliot, Time enjoyed wasting is not time wasted :wink:

But back to the matter on hands, a non functioning Uno. Are you using software Serial to output Debug when you attach the ESP to the Uno? I’m thinking since it does respond to some AT commands the communication channel is working. I’m not sure why it doesn’t work. Is it a real Uno or a clone? Could be something in the bootloader. If you have a Mega handy (which you do I believe) it’s possible to reflash the bootloader. It may help.

umm I got the Esp to blink in standalone mode, and I feel my uno bootloader is fyn kinda hesitating because I don’t wanna loose my uno… As there are good chances for me to mess it up. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@Sahal_hash it might be worth trying the ‘script’ from @Rom3oDelta7 because this is an excellent check that the ESP is ready to run with Blynk as a shield. We have discussed the STA / AP issue and if your ESP will not give you STA mode then it will simply not work with Blynk.

Standalone mode is much easier as the clever guys at esp8266 have removed all the hard work by including all the required flashing when you select a generic ESP8266 board. Obviously standalone has it’s limitations compared with using the ESP as a shield for the Uno but if you wanted to try shield again it is easy to move back to standalone if it fails.

Remember that you need to reflash the ESP to move back to shield mode. Today I think I’m going to hook up some of my Nano’s masquerading as Uno’s with the ESP’s and try the ‘script’.

@Costas with what sketch do I have to reflash the Esp to try connecting to uno…?

It isn’t a sketch you need it is the flashing tool that you made reference to in an earlier post about the SPI guessing you had an 8MBit ESP when you probably have a 4MBit unit.

So for shield mode you are flashing with the external flashing tool and then checking the ESP against @Rom3oDelta7’ s script. If the script doesn’t give you the correct results then you need to keep checking your system or move back to standalone with the Blynk standalone sketch.

It’s a lil difficult for me to understand could you give a more elaborate reply.
And I don’t see any @Rom3oDelta7 sketch.

Not a sketch a script. The script is in post 20 of this thread i.e.

AT+RESTORE
AT+CWMODE=1
AT+CWLAP
AT+CWJAP=“ssid”,“password”
AT+CIFSR

So when you have flashed the ESP with the flashing tool, not with Arduino, run each of the commands shown above and see if the ESP responds with ok / error etc. Run the AT commands in PUTTY, Serial Monitor etc.

So what I have to do is flash the firmware as done before… Ryt.?

That is correct but make sure you pick 4MBit and then try writing the AT commands provided by @Rom3oDelta7. If they ALL work try Hardserial sketch with the Uno and ESP as a shield.

I would just add that in the script before AT+CWJAP=“ssid”,“password” you should perhaps add one of the following AT commands as per the comments in the Hard and Soft Serial Blynk examples:

Hard Serial for devices with more than one serial port (Mega, Leonardo etc)

AT+UART_DEF=115200,8,1,0,0
And your sketch will include: EspSerial.begin(115200);

Soft Serial for devices with one serial port (Uno, Nano etc)

AT+UART_DEF=9600,8,1,0,0
And your sketch will include: EspSerial.begin(9600);

The AT command set has changed over the years but the commands above are valid for the minimum recommended AT version of 0.22.0.0. If you can’t issue these commands via the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor it is unlikely you will connect to the Blynk server. Check and double check your wiring.

1 Like

Hey Costa I checked the wiring like about 20-30 times. It’s perfect and I wondered how it worked the first time. Esp doesn’t seem to be in a mood to receive my AT commands.
On pressing reset button the putty terminal shows ‘Connecting to Wifi’ which it does on startup.
Has me uploading the standalone sketch caused any problem…?

Moving backwards and forwards from standalone to shield (AT) doesn’t create any problems.
Have you done a reflash with 4MBits since you last uploaded a standalone sketch?

Nope… This is the second time em trying to but it jst doesn’t listen. :unamused:

When the first time I uploaded the standalone sketch, I noticed that I didn’t change the new Authtoken so without even removing the connection I reflased the new sketch that had new auth code. And it worked well since then

If you have flashed the standalone sketch you MUST reflash with the external flasher before you can use the ESP as a shield.

While flash you advised to set memory to 4Mb flash.
How do we know what size is our flash.
The addressing while flashing are different for 512k esp and 1Mb esp.
I guess mine is 512kb flash and I updates using address of 1mb flash,(which I feel may have led to overwrite some files giving rise to these probs
1 Not automatically connecting to AP when powered on
2 not communicating through serial port.)

It’s all just my guess as it should have responded to my AT commands by now.

Hey @Costas my AT commands started working. I guess some miracle happened.
In your 32nd post the at command
AT+UART_DEF=9600,8,1,0,0
I remember my baudrate was 115200 do you still want to type 9600…?

@Costas all test scripts you asked me to run responded well.

What next…?