Solution for auto start diesel generator

Hi friends. I need a solution to auto start the diesel generator when urban Electricity shutdown. Is it posible with blynk? And which hardwares recommended for this project?

Thanks

Yes it is. Better to use a Blynk board from Sparkfun …easy to use .

Please don’t spam

Hi @ErfanDL,
Which is the usual procedure to turn it on/off? Just a button?

1 Like

Yes. the generator turning ON with button. but how to detect and how to release the button when generator fully turned ON?

Either voltage output, or RPM… I think…
Anyway a timer should be applied too - in case of a generator failure it cannot just crank it till battery drainage…

2 Likes

Is this an interlocking button or just a press button?
I’m sorry I should have been more specific before…

If this is just a press button you could use a simple relay monitored by Blynk.
The MCU, Router and Local Server (if this is the case) should be feeded by an “always on” powerbank.
Does it have sense for you?

1 Like

It depends on the type of Generator as well, some of them (the bigger ones) would have an analogue output for RPM, Overcharge, Current, etc… And perhaps Modbus which would allow access all the readings.

And obviously:

1 Like

just press button. when engine turned ON I released the button. for the local server and MUCs and router I used UPS.

You can use a Current transformer to feed back to the MCU, There’re some CT with 0-1V output

can’t you simply wire an additional relay over the button, so screw the generator open and the wires that go to the button put a relay over them in parallel.

I don’t really see Blynk stepping in here though for the simplest reason that in case of a power fail you won’t have any internet connection.

anyway, I would use a relay, a battery pack a ac-dc voltage stepdown convertor a voltage or current sensor (one AFTER the stepdown, much easier and cheaper, although this might not work due to the connected battery so perhaps also a diode in there) and an arduino.
And then:
relay off by default
if voltage/current < x then relay on after 1min?.

depending whether its a switch or a push button the relay might be needed to go on a 1s timer.

The ONLY blynk opportunity I see is to turn it off when the power comes back on again as i can’t see any way to detect the difference between mains and generator current. So you’ll need a human for that

Just probe the voltage before switching point :wink: Surely you need one, as in no case you are allowed to wire the generator directly to mains line (in parallel)

Same for me, but different reason: The Blynk will work just fine powered by generator, but as this whole task is supposed to be automatic, I don’t see any reason Blynk need to step in. EXCEPT… perhaps the monitoring purpose: The fuel level, the current drawn, runtime, etc…