Silent alarm prototype: issues uploading sketch to ESP8266 through Arduino IDE

I am currently working on a prototype for a "Silent Alarm" Internet of Things concept; the goal is to be able to control LED lights from a cell phone equipped with the Blynk app, with the option to program a timer to set up a quiet alarm clock. Similar projects may have been discussed on this forum before, but I have been unable to locate information that directly addresses the problems I have experienced with my design.
 The project's hardware currently includes an ESP8266-01 WiFI module, a 3.7 V single-cell LiPo battery, a 3.7 V voltage regulator/charging circuit from an old USB power bank, and several blue 3 V LEDs. I have been using a Sparkfun Redboard as a power supply and serial converter (in place of an FTDI board) for my programming attempts thus far, and have been able to successfully send commands to the board using the Arduino IDE's serial monitor (connecting the ESP8266 to local WiFI and a cell phone in the process), though not by sending my code through the compiler's "send" button itself.
 Silent Alarm is a simple enough project that I was able to adapt a few existing example programs as the designed firmware for the ESP8266; below is my current sketch:

/**************************************************************

• Blynk is a platform with iOS and Android apps to control
  • Arduino, Raspberry Pi and the likes over the Internet.
  • You can easily build graphic interfaces for all your
  • projects by simply dragging and dropping widgets.
  • Downloads, docs, tutorials: http://www.blynk.cc
  • Blynk community: http://community.blynk.cc
  • Social networks: http://www.fb.com/blynkapp
  •                           http://twitter.com/blynk_app

• Blynk library is licensed under MIT license
  • This example code is in public domain.

• This example runs directly on ESP8266 chip.
  • You need to install this for ESP8266 development:
  • https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino
  • Please be sure to select the right ESP8266 module
  • in the Tools -> Board menu!
  • Change WiFi ssid, pass, and Blynk auth token to run :slight_smile:

**************************************************************/

#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial // Comment this out to disable prints and save space
#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>

// You should get Auth Token in the Blynk App.
// Go to the Project Settings (nut icon).
char auth[] = “44aac0b8d5c849cca6d25ddd13b1799c”;

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
Blynk.begin(auth, “ssid”, “pass”);
}

void loop()
{
Blynk.run();
}

I have tried changing baud rates, USB ports, and programmer boards in Arduino, and have also reinstalled both the Blynk and ESP8266 libraries, but I still keep seeing some derivative of the following error message:

Build options changed, rebuilding all

Sketch uses 231,265 bytes (53%) of program storage space. Maximum is 434,160 bytes.
Global variables use 33,308 bytes (40%) of dynamic memory, leaving 48,612 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81,920 bytes.
warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\amd64: C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\amd64
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\examples: C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\examples
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\i386: C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\i386
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\Static: C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\Static
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\amd64: C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\amd64
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\examples: C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\examples
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\i386: C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\i386
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\Static: C:\Users\Phill_000\Downloads\arduino-1.6.8\libraries\Static

Could anyone inform me as to how I can correct this uploading error? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 Also, what alternatives exist for programming and interactive enviroments with the ESP8266? I would also like to know if using an actual FTDI board is more reliable than the Arduino Uno/Sparkfun Redboard patch I am currently using (the diagram below is taken from the ESP8266 Quick Start Guide 1.0.4).

I’d recommend using an FTDi board over this setup. I can’t really see how this is going to work. I think you got the concept of using the Arduino board as programmer wrong. This won’t work simply because the Serial port you see on your computer is the same serial port as to which you linked the ESP. So there is no way you can communicate with both devices at the same time.

That makes sense. I'll see if I can find an FTDI board and use it for updating code instead.of the RedBoard patch. Thanks for the information!