Robotdyn Mega +WiFi R3 ATmega2560+ESP8266

I’m a bit lost, I have the board Robotdyn Mega +WiFi R3 ATmega2560+ESP8266, and I can not even do the basics that would light the led 13 through the Blynk ios application.

I’ve seen these topics, but it was not much help WEMOS Mega +WiFi R3 ATmega2560+ESP8266

I also looked at these tests and worked perfectly all of them, testing the Arduino Mega 2560, ESP8266, and the two together. http://www.sysengineering.ru/blog/электроника-контроллер-arduino-mega-с-esp8266/

I have already put the Blynk example code of ESP8266_Standalone. Uploading to ESP only. (This Code)

#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleEsp8266.h>

char auth[] = "YourAuthToken";

char ssid[] = "YourNetworkName";
char pass[] = "YourPassword";

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);

Blynk.begin(auth, ssid, pass);
}

void loop()
{
  Blynk.run();
}

And the result of the serial monitor was:

⸮EO⸮v⸮$rz⸮4C(r⸮[76] Connecting to Juninho
[3080] Connected to WiFi
[3080] IP: 192.168.0.24
[3080] 
    ___  __          __
   / _ )/ /_ _____  / /__
  / _  / / // / _ \/  '_/
 /____/_/\_, /_//_/_/\_\
        /___/ v0.5.2 on Arduino

[3150] Connecting to blynk-cloud.com:80
[8150] Connecting to blynk-cloud.com:80
[8419] Ready (ping: 133ms).

But as I’m kinda lost I do not know what code to put in the Arduino Mega because what I put:

#define BLYNK_PRINT Serial

#include <ESP8266_Lib.h>
#include <BlynkSimpleShieldEsp8266.h>

// You should get Auth Token in the Blynk App.
// Go to the Project Settings (nut icon).
char auth[] = "YourAuthToken";

// Your WiFi credentials.
// Set password to "" for open networks.
char ssid[] = "YourNetworkName";
char pass[] = "YourPassword";

// Hardware Serial on Mega, Leonardo, Micro...
#define EspSerial Serial3

// or Software Serial on Uno, Nano...
//#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
//SoftwareSerial EspSerial(2, 3); // RX, TX

// Your ESP8266 baud rate:
#define ESP8266_BAUD 9600

ESP8266 wifi(&EspSerial);

void setup()
{
  // Debug console
  Serial.begin(9600);

// Set ESP8266 baud rate
  EspSerial.begin(ESP8266_BAUD);
  delay(10);

Blynk.begin(auth, wifi, ssid, pass);
  // You can also specify server:
  //Blynk.begin(auth, wifi, ssid, pass, "blynk-cloud.com", 8442);
  //Blynk.begin(auth, wifi, ssid, pass, IPAddress(192,168,1,100), 8442);
}

void loop()
{
  Blynk.run();
  // You can inject your own code or combine it with other sketches.
  // Check other examples on how to communicate with Blynk. Remember
  // to avoid delay() function!
}

Modifying only the line #define EspSerial Serial1 to #define EspSerial Serial3 in the two options Serial1 or Serial3, the result is the same on the serial monitor:

[9] 
    ___  __          __
   / _ )/ /_ _____  / /__
  / _  / / // / _ \/  '_/
 /____/_/\_, /_//_/_/\_\
        /___/ v0.5.2 on Arduino Mega

[592] Connecting to Juninho
[1602] ESP is not responding

As I did not know what to try until I tried to update Firmware ESP8266, I do not know if this is related but every time I give the AT command I would receive this:

Ai-Thinker Technology Co. Ltd.

ready
AT

ERROR
AT+GMR

ERROR

Note: Even though I received this error in the AT command everything that was previously described is valid, because I have re-built all of these tests again to see if it gave the same result.

If anyone has any idea what I’m doing wrong or suggest some tuturial for me to follow. I appreciate it.

I suspect that you will find this is just NOT a Blynk (or user) friendly board… period.

Although it looks like you got connected at least once this time… The Ready (ping 133ms). means you were connected (at least with the ESP portion of that board).

I suspect you need to somehow configure the ESP portion to AT mode in order to uses the Mega portion of the board.

@Gunner that was the code straight on the ESP, he fails when trying to use the ESP as ‘shield’. for the mega. I have 0 xp with this stuff, so no help here.

@DanielDLJ Keep searching this forum for keywords like Robotdyn… I think I recall seeing some topic or post about the proper way to set the DIP switches to get the ESP into the correct mode to act as a Serial to WiFi adapter for the rest of the Mega.

Yes, you have to set the dipswitches correct. Check Ebay. Most resellers put in a little image or text on how to set the dip switches.

I guess you must flash the Esp with AT commands firmware to use it as shield before use it with the Mega.

Hi,
You could start by trying to follow suggestion from here:

Although this is written with Uno in mind the process is similar.
BB

It comes with AT flashed from the factory, so that’s an easy check. You can set the dipswitch to serial <> ESP and check it with a terminal program :slight_smile:

Yep, you’re right, the Esp comes with AT commands but our colleague flashed the Esp with a standalone code

So he has to flash again the Esp with original firmware for AT commands.

1 Like

In that case, yes… I’ll be going for my third cup of coffee now… :wink:

1 Like

Hi, I have the same problem with my Robotdyn Mega +WiFi R3 ATmega2560+ESP8266. I followed the russian link, and i’m arrived at open the webpage to manage any digital pin. So when i sent the blynk sketch (1 ON 2 ON 3 ON 4 ON the rest OFF and RX3 TX3) ’ have the same message: “ESP not responding”. How you have resolve?

So, can anyone confirm that app Blynk works fine with this board?

I need one like this for the number of I/O and wifi embedded.

Thanks. And merry Christmas

This is an old topic. But I believe others have finally managed it… Keep searching this forum if you wish more info.

But whether it is worth the efforts??? That’s up to you. I run a normal Cloned Arduino Mega and ESP-01, easier setup with no issues and much cheaper total cost. EDIT - Well, at $12.99 it looks like they are clearing them out now… I still wouldn’t bother due the hassle setting it up.