Ok I can confirm, it is an ESP problem, but I'm still tackling it.
I started pinging my ESP, and I was getting almost 800 ms responses. So no kidding everything seemed slow. I switched to another ESP card, with an older firmware. For some time, I was suddenly getting 30 ms ping times!! I tried my motor control sketch, and I was getting instantaneous reaction, even when spamming the connections!
I unhooked my FTDI and started it untethered, and all of a sudden...ping times dropped back to 600 and even 1000 ms! I tried resetting the ESP, a whole bunch of other stuff, and I couldn't get the same performance.
It's super annoying, I thought finally I solved it and I was gonna hook Blynk back in, but now I'm back to crappy ping times. Argh!