Raspberry Pi Zero (W) as Blynk Local Server

There is a Java8 version for download. The Pi doesn’t support Java9 yet.

Hi Lichtsignaal- I’m ppretty sure that I installed Java8 on the raspery pi!

Pretty sure or you know for a fact? The java8 version has something like -java8.jar in the path.

Your right I checked with java -version and its old . I’ve found a linux 32bit version and will update this evening- got to teach now!

Was it you who made a portable local server from the pi zero w?

No, that wasn’t me, but the principle is the same. My Pi is just sitting in my desk, but it could be anywhere with a Wifi thing and hotspot-like construction.

Well I’ve got the local server running on the rpi zero w but I cant create new accounts from the phone app-
anyone know how to deal with the “You have no internet connection” error msg?

Very happy- feel like I’ve won the lottery- got blynk local server running on the pi zero w, using a hotspot from my phone so no issues with the school network. Now I need to try understand why I cant get the local server to auto load at boot up. I’ve tried the rc.local and cron examples I’ve seen. I have managed to get a python script to run at boot up with rc.local but not the blynk server.

Any suggestions?

A bash script triggered by cron is my favourite.

Can you show us the rc.local scripts? Both working and non-working. I created my own startup script and there are a couple scripts on the forum for starting/stopping the Server.

I’d copied the example from github- but there are two small errors which prevented the server from running- they are, that it suggests you do not need the full path name for the server file and the server file name is incorrect (it does not have the java8 at the end). I was copying it exactly so it tripped me up!
All working well know.

Next step to have the set of leds show activity on the server!

1 Like

Now I’m stuck with enabling email. I’ve set server.properties and I’ve created a specific email address to allow access for less secure apps but I’m still getting error msgs. Any pointers? Do I need to setup a script to run email services on the pi zero?

Have you setup mail.properties? https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-server#enabling-mail-on-local-server

Hi Gunner
Thank you- I used the guide and an existing gmail account.

I took advice from someone and created a new account just for the server and this worked first time - I’d set the gmail account to allow accesss from less secure programs on both accounts. It worked first time with the new account. As mail.server has all the information in plain text it might be best practice to advise setting up a gmail account specifically for communications from the local server.

I now have a pi zero running headless with a python script to make a nice led display and users can login to create an account and have emails with their auth token sent to their email address of choice.

Now I need to work out if I can get an ip on the Raspberry pi that doesnt change!- can I set tthe pi up to have a static ip?

The forum is parted in this matter. On one side it’s me, other side is everyone else :wink:

“A house divided against itself cannot stand” as Lincoln once said. :man_farmer: In the long run I strongly recommend the use of systemd which enables you to run the Blynk server as a true service.

I’ll check this out over the next couple of weeks.
Thanks for the link

I have a blynk.service running now but it asks for a password- Id ideally like to run the pi zero headless!

Whaaat?! How, when, where?!? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :open_mouth:

When I do the sytemctl preset blynk.servce I get this appear…

When I check if the servcie is running with
systemctl is-active blynk.service
I get
activating
which seems to last forever- I was expecting a “0” to sho all wwas working.

Any thoughts?- Is it a Users and Groups thing?

I’ve not had a password box pop up at all I had to look up the default password!

You need to authenticate as root, try:

sudo systemctl preset blynk.service

Hi thanks for that-

Still getting a log in box.

Retried making the service - had to use sudo nano to make a blynk1.service blank file to write the service into as with nano blynk1.service it would not let me write to the file. Could that be the issue? I need to understand users and group better- where is the best place to look?

Thanks for the help btw!