Raspberry Pi Zero (W) as Blynk Local Server

Hi,
It is the raspberry pi zero W. It has on-board wifi

Talking of Pi internet connectivity I received a couple of these in the post today:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/White-15CM-Micro-USB-2-0-Male-To-RJ-45-Female-5-Pin-10-100Mbps-Ethernet/32794290936.html

Micro USB connectors so plug straight into the Zero’s and they provide a plug and play Ethernet connection. Pretty good for less than $1.80 each including delivery

So when using the Pi as a local server WiFi AP (tutorial elsewhere on this site) on 192.168.42.xx it’s simply a case of disabling the WiFi via SSH on your main Ethernet subnet (not WiFi to the AP) with sudo ifdown wlan0 and the Pi has internet access.

1 Like

Thank you, don’t know well yet the rasp family…

Great, I’ll try soon!

Hi Dmitry!, Great news. Where can I follow your progress on free cert? Thanks for your time.

@espagnol01 it was released the day after @Dmitriy said he was almost finished in early May, see Automated Free Certificates with Let's Encrypt

so you don’t talk about Zero worked good or … for blynk
it seem we can use pi zero for server without any reduce speed and …

Cool

I can run Blynk server on an old RPi model B… the newer RPis have absolutely no problem.

Hey! Im running local server on Opi0 even!

@zara has pi zero wifi or lan?

Its orange pi zero… it has lan and wifi.

Hi -thanks for the walk through… as its almost a year on and Blynk has certainly moved forward do I need to do anything different?
I’ve managed to run the local server on several laptops at work but not managed to work with the network security and our IT team are loath to mess with settings.

So I’ve got a rapberry pi zero w and got it up and running. When I run the local server I get an error msg- stating that the ServerLauncher has been complied by a more recent version of Java runtime (class file version 53.0) tthis version only recognises versions up to 52.0.

So my question is- can I update the rpi zero W (I thought I had) Java or should I install an erlier version of the local server, and if so which one?
My plan is to run the rpi zero from my mobile phone hotspot… anytips for this would be appreciated too!

There is a Java8 version for download. The Pi doesn’t support Java9 yet.

Hi Lichtsignaal- I’m ppretty sure that I installed Java8 on the raspery pi!

Pretty sure or you know for a fact? The java8 version has something like -java8.jar in the path.

Your right I checked with java -version and its old . I’ve found a linux 32bit version and will update this evening- got to teach now!

Was it you who made a portable local server from the pi zero w?

No, that wasn’t me, but the principle is the same. My Pi is just sitting in my desk, but it could be anywhere with a Wifi thing and hotspot-like construction.

Well I’ve got the local server running on the rpi zero w but I cant create new accounts from the phone app-
anyone know how to deal with the “You have no internet connection” error msg?

Very happy- feel like I’ve won the lottery- got blynk local server running on the pi zero w, using a hotspot from my phone so no issues with the school network. Now I need to try understand why I cant get the local server to auto load at boot up. I’ve tried the rc.local and cron examples I’ve seen. I have managed to get a python script to run at boot up with rc.local but not the blynk server.

Any suggestions?