Phone and device need to be on same wifi network?

Hello, when I use my phone app to look at the data coming from my project it is not connecting if I am not on the same wifi on both phone and device . I use am using an eso 8266 and it works great and send all data and notifications when I connect the phone to the same wifi as device but it won’t if I use the phone LTE which is Verizon wireless. I have an iPhone 13.

So are you saying that if you try to connect your ESP8266 to your phone’s mobile hotspot then the ESP8266 appears as offline?

If so then there could be two issues…

1. The ESP8266 requires a 2.4GHz WiFi network. Later iPhones default to a 5GHz network in hotspot mode, so you may need to adjust your phone’s hotspot settings.

2. The phone’s hotspot software or your provider’s mobile network may be blocking the data exchange between the ESP8266 device and the Blynk cloud servers.

There is a third possibility, and that is you are using a Blynk Legacy local server, but you’ve put this topic in the Blynk 2 .0 category, so I assume that you are actually using Blynk IoT and bit Blynk Legacy.

Pete.

Thank you for responding , the esp8266 is still connected to the wifi that is working, but the phone app is connected to the phone internet. Are the two meant to be connected to the exact same wifi? I am using Blynk 2.0.

How would I receive notifications on my phone if I am not home ?

It doesn’t matter how the devices connect to the internet. They don’t have to be connected to the same WiFi.

B,ynk works by all communication going via the Blynk cloud servers, so even when your ESP8266 and phone are just a few feet from each other and connected to the same WiFi network they are actually communicating via a cloud server that could be thousands of miles away.

Is the Blynk app on your phone successfully connecting to the Blynk cloud server? (If not then you’ll get a “No server connection” message.

Is your ESP8266 device successfully connecting to the Blynk cloud server?
If not then the device will show as offline in the app and web console.
If the device is offline then you need to look at your device’s serial monitor output to figure-out the problem.

Pete.